IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
some of your questions need more answers what about the people who can't move very easy up and leting people fish the run with you and down the bank. how about being gald to land a downriver steelhead but not fishing for them landing any steelhead for some is a great thing letting it go after the fight is the correct thing to do.
:cheers:

·
Banned
4,224 Posts
hatchery run backs shoudl die... Plain and simple... Especially due to high stray rates hatchery fish caught should be kept regardless, that is their biological purpose. A large percentage of hatchery females return that are returning to hatcheries have spawned before....

Think about this for a minute.... This means that they sparwned somewhere's in the wild yonder, where they shouldn't be, then on their second spawning run returned to a hatchery.

Really stop and ponder this before you advocate the release of hatchery steelhead.

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Ty, I heard it a different way...the females can be cleaned of their eggs and put back, but males you can't be 100% sure so they are destroyed. maybe this pertains more to broodstock than hatchery fish?

I'm stuck in my options, so I can't finish...

gus

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ty,

I don't agree with you. At least as far as hatchery hens go. If the fish has already spawned, killing it is sort of like closing the barn door after the cows are gone.

Might as well let head back out and get a chance to catch it next season.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
We had a great Fall Salmon run on the NFL last year. With the ka-billion Coho and Chinook the river was dotted all over with redds so much so that if there was a closure it would have efectivey shut down a significant portion of the river. There were many of us who were working around the redds looking for Steelhead. I think you can fish that was without disturbing the redds.

:smile:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Rob-
Some additional answers are needed for this pole to be accurate.

Q #1. Maybe this is the same as the second option on your pole but.........there are many rivers in both oregon and washington that have overlapping runs. The North Fork of the Stilliguamish in may and june is a prime example where you can still catch resonably bright winter nates, spawners, and of course the early summer brats. Same deal on the Clack and many other rivers. Is it wrong to fish for these fish just becuase you might catch a downsteamer? I don't think so as long as you handle them carefully.

#2. While they may not be the prettiest things on earth........a steelhead is a steelhead and in most cases probably took just as much work to catch the downer. While I may not be happy that its a downer........its better than nothing.

#4. It is possible to fair hook fish in these situations even if most are snagging. Just because the majority are snagging doesn't mean every body does.

Not trying to wrinkle any feathers just some of the questions need more choices for them to be accurate.

Tim Lennox

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fishingfool

No worries if you were here to wrinkle feathers you wouldn't have made such exceellent points..

Q 1 was referring directly towards targeting fish you knew were on beds. My home river was the washoulgal for 25 years. I understand perfectly overlaping runs or rather as the washougal USED to have a continuious run.

Q 4 what if while doing your own fishing say for chum salmon and you are foul hooking as many as you are fair hooking should you change tactics to avoid the foul hookings?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Rob-
On the Question 4 matter-
I hate snagging fish as much as you do I am sure. I know too that there are sometimes...like with chumlings, that no matter how hard you try, you are going to snag a few. Same with coho. As you know jigging can be absolutely deadly for coho and if done correctly most will be fair, but there are always going to be a few fouls. I think that the most important thing is intentions. If your not try to snag a fish and you do, play it quick and release it or just break it off and don't lose any sleep over it.
As to the first question, I thought that you were once again reffering to fishing over here in the spring time for our steelhead. Sorry, got the wrong impression.
Tim Lennox

·
Registered
372 Posts
I can understand that in certain fisheries a person will occasionally unintentionally foul hook a fish.

I'm not sure what is an acceptable ratio, is but it seems that 50/50 is too high and if you're foul hooking that many you should adjust your technique or quit fishing.

After all, how fun is it to drag a fish in by its ass anyway. You can get about the same fight by tying a large branch to your line and throwing it in the current.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
There are not enough satifactory answers. From foul hooking alot to foul hooking a few. To broad a spectrum. Would have loved to vote but to spread out to give my honest opinion.

Crayfin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts