IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Producing two 2-minute segments for an ESPN show called "Urban Outdoors," and am seeking an authentic urban fisherperson in the Portland area (male or female...but who isn't afraid to talk). :bowdown:

Someone who fishes from a pier/dock, bridge, etc. often, and can almost guarantee catching something over a 2-day shooting period. No fishing from boats; prefer fishing near an urban setting (any fishing piers near Portland?).

I need to shoot this by June 13th.

There is no pay, but you'll get on national TV and look cool.

Are you a hardcore urban angler? Know one? Please spread the word, check out my credits at http://www.scottso.net and write me back ASAP.

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
Sorry Dude,

Merely suburban/rural...must fish in my boat...but I think I look really cool...bummer.

·
Registered
641 Posts
This sounds too good to be true. All I gotta do is talk and catch fish? Two of my specialties. It ain't like I am Catch and Eat who can only do one of those two things. :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please note that this can also take place near Astoria, or any other "urban" setting.

So...any sturgeon fans out there? Would love to see some of those monsters caught...

Let me know if you have any hot tips:

[email protected]

thanks!

·
Registered
591 Posts
How about the city of roses for a backdrop and for kicks we can throw in the rose festival for a background. Fishing on the lovely willlamette for sturgeon. How does that sound?

[ 05-29-2003, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: FISH HAWK ]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds great!

Tell me about the subject (not the sturgeon) - what does he/she look like? Ethnicity? Ability to talk good fish stories? History of hardcore angling?

Ideal candidate will be colorful, with a good sense of humor, an ability to "think aloud" and not afraid of being on camera.

-s

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
or female...but who isn't afraid to talk
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">do a search and find a guy.... er I mean person that goes by fishbait. No problem meeting all your requirements described. :wink:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
We have great shad fishing right now too. Can't miss those from the bank. Catch them right out of Oregon City. Catch a ton too.

~steelymann~

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Yea that's a good idea. The camera might get the shad fisherperson and the McDonalds in the same shot if he angles it right. Definately could see the 205 bridge and the paper-mills, plus a hundred salmon and shad fisherman out on the river.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Scottso,

You might want to think about fishing the Clackamas...here's a super salmon stream right in the middle of the city.

You could have shots of floating down the Clackamas with David Johnson, pulling in fish and then "fly" the camera over the bank showing folks they are fishing right in a major city.

The contrast at Riverside launch ramp and going up the road into the Safeway warehouses with train etc. is as "urban fishing" as it gets.

You could do the same thing on the Sandy, contrast of Jack Glass pulling in Chinook right under the I-5 bridge and pulling the camera back showing the huge truck stop and urban area literally right over their heads.

Both give a great "urban fishing" picture plus both David and Jack can pretty much guarantee getting fish over a couple day period...just send a cameraman out with them.

Plus the "big fish" aspect of Chinook salmon in the city has a big impact.

Brion

G

·
There you go again Brion. Do you get discounts or what? :laugh: Actually, FishinMission is the ultimate "local, urban, backyard" fisherman in the Milwaukee area on the Willamette. :grin: :bowdown:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Scottso,

Meaning no radar/sonar or other high-tech fish-finding equipment. Just a simple boat with a colorful character who's a hardcore angler.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">That covers most guides <grin>...surprising low tech...stark would not be an understatement.

Certainly...ahem "colorful"...as for the boats being "simple"...too darn simple for me...no canvas, no lounge chairs, no fancy electronics...if you can get some of them to wash the boat you are doing good.

Brion

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Originally posted by BrionLutz:
You could do the same thing on the Sandy, contrast of Jack Glass pulling in Chinook right under the I-5 bridge and pulling the camera back showing the huge truck stop and urban area literally right over their heads.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Hmmm.... So when did they re-route the Sandy River to the West? :tongue: :wink: :tongue:

I would have to agree with ****** on this one. Fishin Mission is the "Ultimate Urban Fisherman". :bowdown:

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Got lots of video footage of Columbia Salmon/Steelhead, and some recent oversize video...but the sound on the oversize stuff would have to be edited, cause there's some expletives not deleted.

As for me....it needs to be in the boat...but some bankies ought to be able to contribute.

If you're interested in "from the boat" video footage...you can E-Mail me through I fish.

Mark

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Steelie Steve,

Hmmm.... So when did they re-route the Sandy River to the West?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Seen one interstate you've seen'em all...I-84.

Doing a fly up shot from the guys pulling in Chinook under the bridge and up to the interstate and that huge complex of truckstops and fast food joints and outlet malls kind of defines urban fishing.

It'd even make a great audio transition...Diesels rumbling to rushing water in...what...100 feet?

My guess is that Scottso's producer has a Hollywood vision of guides..."urban" Oregon guides will disabuse them of that in a hurry <grin>.

Brion

·
Registered
13,576 Posts
Hey what about fishing right off the new walkway downtown across the river there is a boat dock you might be able to hook into some sturgeons down there it is right downtown well across the river from downtown. I have always wanted to try that or the other option is fishing the Walkway in Oregon City across from the wall. You can get pretty much everything there. And you can’t get more industrial then there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think if someone could catch a Sturgeon near an urban setting that the ESPN folks would be in heaven.

If anyone wants to audition for this role, please send a JPEG of youself to me at:

[email protected]

Thanks!

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Originally posted by Spooled:
This sounds too good to be true. All I gotta do is talk and catch fish? Two of my specialties. It ain't like I am Catch and Eat who can only do one of those two things. :laugh: :laugh:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Yak, yak yak, thats spooled for ya. He's colorful alright. He talks so much he will give you swollen ear drums. As for his fishing abilities he's just been deflowered 2 weeks ago with his 1st springer to HIS hand. Now steelhead he can do.

As for myself, I am colorful but one ugly fisherman. :rolleyes: I am so ugly I scare the fish so bad they just jump into the boat. :laugh: Maybe you could team Catch 'And Eat up with Spooled for this shoot. I'll provide the catching and Spooled will provide the yammering. :shocked: :tongue:

Truthfully your best bet would be to get someone to fish Astoria for sturgeon right now. It's red hot fishing and and urban area too. Good luck.

BTW, I'm not really that ugly. Just a little cuter than ******. :wink:

[ 05-30-2003, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: CATCH AND EAT ]

G

·
"Just a little cuter than ******. :wink: "

The bad news Bernie? You are still ugly, just not real ugly.

(Did I get it right Spooled? :grin: )

[ 05-30-2003, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: ****** ]

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Originally posted by scottso:

what does he/she look like? Ethnicity? Ability to talk good fish stories? History of hardcore angling?

Ideal candidate will be colorful, with a good sense of humor, an ability to "think aloud" and not afraid of being on camera.

-s
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Whole lot of criteria for 2 minutes of fame? :laugh:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts