IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
I have the green one grb listed above from Amazon. It's held up well for me this year, has 4 rod holder with Velcro to secure them also, can be backpacked or rolled with a pullout handle like a carryon luggage piece. I use it to haul stuff to the boat in moorage often also.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I've looked at those. Finding the SKB box is difficult and I'm honestly wondering if it's worth it being 300-400. I'm on Pac Queen next year on a limited trip (24 ppl). Does the boat have enough rod holders or will the rocket launchers on the tackle box be needed and how secure are they?

When is yer trip?

Great u booked a yr out as da Queen catches n is really popular in that short 1-3.5 day range and great too they limit to 24 as befo they use to take 33. Too cozy fer me.

Like Bruce said plenty of room fo yer sticks. 5-6 rods will suffice, 30,40,50 or 60, 80 or two 100lb. May only use same 2 or 3 whole trip.

Having rod holders on yer tackle box IS very very convienient unless u have buds like us who grab yer rod cuz it's close by which is no big deal unless yer looking for yer jig stick at nite, now that cud be a problem or u grab yer 100lb rod n there's no jig on it cuz yer bud busted it off on a fish moments earlier.

But if no rod holders on tackle box no biggie to grab em in da rack off da house. We have a smaller tackle box wit no holders n jus go back n forth grabbing whateva stick u need for that moment.

Been saying this for past 6 seasons, hopefully da fish keep wanting to play for the end of this season n hopefully too they show up again next season.

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
If you are driving down, take a milk crate and 4 pieces of PVC pipe to attach in the corners and make sure you have containers for your tackle that fit inside the milk crate. The options GRB posted are much nicer, but if it's your first trip or you don't go often enough to want to spend the $ for the nicer options, the milk crate works. I've used it a couple of times and was glad to have it. Having gear on the shelves at the back of the cabin works, but everyone piles stuff in there and it can get awkward to get to your gear. However, I haven't been on trips with a very limited load, I was on the royal Star and I think there were 24 or 26 fishermen on each trip. A limited load of 18 would be sweet, esp if it was folks that mostly knew each other or at least several of the people on the trip.
ron m

·
Registered
402 Posts
My trip is in June. I am driving down and taking 6-7 rods but by the time I actually start packing might even add more.

First trip down there but definitely planning multiple trips a year.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I’m paranoid to fly down now after having my $600 ocea plugger long bomb rod broken by TSA three years ago. Everything was super padded and in my travel case. They clearly just tried to carelessly shove the rod bundle back in the tube, as the tip shattered into 5 pieces. If you w ever seen the documentation and paperwork to file a claim with these clowns, it’s daunting and prohibitive.
I’ll drive down thank you very much.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Awesome report by the way!!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Great trip, Landed a personal best 251lber on a kite. What a week. It all began last Friday the 9th. I bust out of Salem around 6am heading south. My goal is to get past Sacramento before 3pm. I make it with a few slow downs and head towards LA. Arriving in Redondo around 8.30pm. Sunday morning I head to San Diego for a date with the Pacific Queen. I am booked on a 3 1/2 day Bluefin Tuna trip with a bunch of other Oregon fisherman. We depart Fisherman's Landing around 4pm destination Tanner Bank. After a restless night we arrive at Tanner Bank. There are many other charter boats and the San Diego fleet was well represented. We fly line live bait for 15 - 40 lb Bluefin and scratch up a dozen or so. The Captain and crew were great. Super fish suave and all business. Captain Gavin could find fish!! That afternoon we hunt for kite fish and have success. Several 100+ lb fish are caught and a thunder and lightning storm is headed right for us.. As the sun falls so do the 200-300 gram jigs and the jig bite is on. Multiple fish on and some near or over 200lbs. A half hour into the bite I get hit and the battle is on.. 30 minutes later a 150lb Bluefin hit the deck and I have my first 100+ Bluefin.. Several more fish hit the deck and the bite slows and eventually ends. That night, after consulting his fleet, the Captain announces that we will be Yellowtail fishing Cortez Bank.. I was stoked to get a chance to try my Mexican jigs here in California for Yellowtail. I start off hooking Yellowtail on a regular basis. Land 2 and loose 4 or 5 before it goes stone cold Steve Austin on me and I can't get bit. Our crew landed over a dozen on bait before it shut down.. Tuesday afternoon we head back to Tanner to hunt kite fish.. After an hour of searching we find them and not another boat in site.. 3 or 4 200lb class fish are landed before we drift off of them. As we maneuver back in position the crew sets up a Gummy flying fish lure and it is skimming the surface. The crew shouts as a 100+ Bluefin chases the Gummy and engulfs it. Holy cow.. We reposition and the kites go out and all hades breaks loose. I am 5 numbers from my kite fish turn and within 45 minutes I was on.. I get set and I am pinned to the rail for the next 30-40 minutes. Finally all three deck hands gaff the fish and Luke tells me to release the drag.. I watch in disbelief as a 250lb Bluefin hits the deck. As night falls again the jigs come out and a slow bite begins. I head to bed and look forward to tomorrow. Around 10pm I awake to see 4 or 5 guys fishing and find a bite is going on. I doze off and wake up at 12am and it is game on. 12+ fish over 100 and some over 200 at this point we realize the cold seawater holds on the boat are full. The deckhands squeeze the last two fish in the holds and everybody celebrates an incredible finish.. The next morning everyone agrees and we head in early. Unforgettable memories for sure..

Water Sky Cloud Fish Fisherman

Cloud Sky Water Atmosphere Afterglow

Monday evening before the thunder and lighting show..

Water Cloud Sky Fluid Waterway

Infamous Tanner Bank,, San Diego fleet well represented.

Water Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Watercraft Outdoor recreation

My jig fish

Food Ingredient Recipe Animal product Fish

No room!!

Water Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle Engineering

Cow town ready for offload..

Natural material Plant Font Gas Handwriting

Gill plate with my tags..

Appreciate the invite for sure Thanks Bruce and Marty. Shout out to Gavin, Luke, Megan, Nathan, and John.. Crew Pacific Queen.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Great to have you along James. Awesome fish!

Reactions: 50 out

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Wow, good story, and nice seeing some familiar faces…..

I was wondering how Les’s retirement is going…..never mind, dumb question.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Here is a picture I took of Sam, one of the California guys on the trip. 79 years old. He was telling me later that he'd had a stroke 6 months ago and that his left foot and hand were still pretty numb "but I didn't notice that at all while I was fighting the fish" -
Fin Outdoor recreation Fish Recreation Marine biology
Love it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Beautiful deuce Sam. He was soooo happy n rightfully so. Glad u took time to take his pic Tom.

Dan. Getting pretty boring unless yer getting drug down da rail at midnight by one of these things Think I'll look into punching da clock again.
Then again maybe not.

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
That’s a great pic of Sam. What a nice gentleman and out there fishing hard and getting it done. Thanks for posting it Tom.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I’m paranoid to fly down now after having my $600 ocea plugger long bomb rod broken by TSA three years ago. Everything was super padded and in my travel case. They clearly just tried to carelessly shove the rod bundle back in the tube, as the tip shattered into 5 pieces. If you w ever seen the documentation and paperwork to file a claim with these clowns, it’s daunting and prohibitive.
I’ll drive down thank you very much.
Yeah it’s pretty hilarious Aaron the guy in Mexico knows that a piece of plumbing pipe full of fishing poles is just that. but the TSA guy here in America thinks it’s a freaking bazooka. They only see that stuff every single day. You’d think they could figure it out. and how do they manage to break something in every guys Rod case??? Same old thing blatant disregard for your customer

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
I put each rod in a nylon sleeve. Then put half the rod butts one way. Half the other. Then bundle them securely with 4 Velcro straps before the bundle goes into the rod tube.
I’ve put as many as 11 in my Bazooka case.

never had a damaged rod. Looks to me like TSA slides the bundle out but don’t unbundle the rods.
You don’t take rod tubes on the boat. So the bundle goes in a cart then on the boat

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
awesome report from you and Jaime, thanks. i'm on the PQ with several others here this coming week 10/27-31. my first trip of this kind, to say i'm excited is a massive understatement!
cc

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Have fun Chris. Things change almost daily in that fishery. It was almost a waste of time to fish during the day, except for some kite action in the last hour and half or so.

It was all about dropping jigs at night. Didn't matter what color or type, glow or not. So I would try and nap during the day if you can. I've never seen a jig bite so good. Hope you guys get em. Sticking those fish on jigs 200' under the boat where you could immediately rail them made for some short battles on big fish.

The night skipper (John I think) likes to drive around watching the sonar. So the school of biters might be at 10 pm, or 4 am.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Nap during day n miss out on wide open bonito action if on da hook at da Cortez? every bait a fish, absolutely chewing da paint off da stern, once in awhile get lucky on a butt hooked dine n come up wit a yeller, once in a GREAT while that is.

Yes Bruce is right, if u can stand to close yer eyes some, even in pm when Gavin is in search mode, lying down for a quick powa nap cud very well help come 10-midnite shift if things are slow, u will always wake up when Gavin slows boat down, u can hear what he is saying on PA lying in yer bunk too, at nite, if it's biting n u ain't in da game, u don't have a pulse.

Think John was jus subbing for reg nite driver Billy last time, Billy man of few words, always looks grouchy, remember him, what's his name hooked only jig fish last yr, fish came up very hot, Bill stuck it n fish went ballistic, dude who caught fish, laid his rod on rail to grab anotha gaff (no crew up this late) and fish ripped gaff outta Billy's hands n took dude's rod/reel ova side wit it. Maybe a 80-100lb fish.
John shud be working deck this time, kite rods n such.

Good luck as well Chris, will be a great experience tho we're pretty biased.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts