IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Was that motor dunked in the salt? Looks bad, have a marine repair shop look at it. Unless its a real good deal I might walk away.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was that motor dunked in the salt? Looks bad, have a marine repair shop look at it. Unless its a real good deal I might walk away.
Don't know. let's just say he's never opened the cowling since he's had it for a couple of years. I had to figure it out for him. It's a fair deal. not overpriced like others out there. If there wasn't all that corrosion, I would have bought it for sure. Still debating but leaning towards no.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like salt deposits.
there's definitely a lot of salt deposit, Those rusty bolts higher up and the greenish tint on the fittings is what worries me. I knew it was used in salt as was expecting maybe some.. On my 2010 motor there's none at all with limited salt use. I just didn't know how much to expect in a salty boat.

·
Premium Member
18,914 Posts
I'd inspect the gasket seal on the cowling for water intrusion. If ran in salt, spray can get under the cowling and fog the motor leaving the salt deposits. Also the rust and visible corrosion seen on some bolts and fittings are from salt water. It looks far worse than it is. I use Corrosion X on stuff like that to keep them clean and mist the engine with silicone spray. It keeps my motors looking 'nicer'.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It doesn’t look bad - looks typical. Most of that is salt crystallized on the surface of the engine from salt air. A salt away spray and wipe down would remove most of that crust. Not saying “don’t worry about it” , just that the appearance is pretty normal.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
It doesn’t look bad - looks typical. Most of that is salt crystallized on the surface of the engine from salt air. A salt away spray and wipe down would remove most of that crust. Not saying “don’t worry about it” , just that the appearance is pretty normal.
Agreed. If you don't keep some kind of corrosion inhibitor on your engine, it's going to look like that with normal use given the age. I see no evidence of salt spray, leaking water or anything like that. Most 13 year old road going vehicles look similar to that under the hood around here, and most of them never see salt. I wouldn't let what you see under that cowling sway your decision. If you do end up purchasing the outboard, start some kind of anti corrosion regimen (I liberally coat everything with Corrosion Block every 100 hours) and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed. If you don't keep some kind of corrosion inhibitor on your engine, it's going to look like that with normal use given the age. I see no evidence of salt spray, leaking water or anything like that. Most 13 year old road going vehicles look similar to that under the hood around here, and most of them never see salt. I wouldn't let what you see under that cowling sway your decision. If you do end up purchasing the outboard, start some kind of anti corrosion regimen (I liberally coat everything with Corrosion Block every 100 hours) and enjoy.
You don’t think those rusty bolts are a bad sign?
The other thing was, I pointed out to the seller the swing tongue bolt was broken and the tongue was at an angle. The bent tongue was the first thing I saw as I pulled up. the trailer had some other bolts that were rusty.
But you and Matt have me thinking about buying it again.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
You don’t think those rusty bolts are a bad sign?
The other thing was, I pointed out to the seller the swing tongue bolt was broken and the tongue was at an angle. The bent tongue was the first thing I saw as I pulled up. the trailer had some other bolts that were rusty.
No, I think that's typical for the age. Marine engine compartments are hot and humid, and often salty on top of that. Without protection, ferrous items will rust, aluminum will oxidize, and brass will corrode.

I wouldn't wish one of those swing tongues on anyone, they are a defective design as far as I'm concerned. I read about failures constantly, and I know two people that have had them fail. There may be an updated design, I'm not real knowledgeable about them. Hit rusty bolts on the trailer with galvanizing spray paint, they should be good to go as long as they aren't compromised to begin with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts