IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a used kicker last night and thought I got a killer deal. It's a Yamaha 2-stroke long 8hp 1999 model and looks like it was rarely used. Put it on my sled in an unheated garage. This morning I found a 2" x 3" puddle of heavy emulsified oil/grease. Appeared that the grease was coming out from where the prop goes into the lower unit. I was thinking that the hard freeze the night before I bought it may have done some damage. Tonight I changed the lower unit lube. What I drained out looked fine! I have heard of motors sitting for a while dripping 2-stroke oil that has accumulated.....somewhere.... Anyway the guy who sold it to me said he had used it the weekend before and I did not notice any leaking oil when I bought it. When I turn the prop by hand, it sounds like there is some sand that is grinding a little bit.

I'm a bit confused...... That milky oil looked bad and seemed like a significant amount. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Freak

·
Registered
2 Posts
sometimes fishing line can get in between the prop and the seal. check to see. If not, then a simple pressure test can see if the seal is bad. At least the oil is fine inside the motor.Does the prop look like it has been run thru sand or gravel. I have also heard of people draining the oil, and then filling it with diesel. After filling it they turn the prop by hand for a bit and then let it sit for a while to see if there is any leakage. they also do this to clean out emulsified oil and or water thet has gotten in the motor.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Sometimes on my Merc I notice emulsified drips coming from the exhaust ports above the waterline and from the thru-hub, and I've had a few puddles collect underneath. I bought it new in '87 and have always considered it normal 2-stroke behavior. My Wave Runner does the same thing, only twice as messy 'cuz it traps so much water in the exhaust.
If yours was a 4-stroke, then I'd be concerned. Otherwise, I wouldn't sweat it. :cool:

BTW, What "hard freeze"? Where do you live? Fairbanks? :whazzup:

[ 11-02-2003, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: 1pump ]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
What was the water temp where he was running last weekend? If it's cooler than about 65 degrees, my 8 horse drips emulsified oil after it sits a while. I had a Merc Mechanic go through it, and he says it's unburned 2-stroke oil dripping from the exhaust. Been happening for 4 years now without a motor failure, so he must be right.

·
Registered
50 Posts
been getting get the same emulsified oil from my 8hp merc for a couple of years..notice it more after a day of trolling in the salt...I too was told by the mech that it was unburnt 2-stroke oil.

G

·
Do you know the difference between 2-cycle oil and gear lube? Smell what is coming out. If it's gear lube you probably should replace the prop shaft seal. If it's 2-cycle oil you should probably replace the motor with a 4 cycle :grin:

No, seriously I wouldn't worry if it's 2-cycle oil.

[ 11-02-2003, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Keta ]

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Happens on our 2-stroke Johnson kicker too, mostly after trolling for long periods of time. If we run it wide open for awhile when done trolling, it doesn't seem to drip. It has done this since it was new.

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Same with my 1998 8 hp Johnson, I was wondering what that was all about. Thought I was having a major engine failure. Sure made a mess on the garage floor.

·
Registered
10,520 Posts
My Yamaha doesn't do it. But, then, it doesn't use 2 stroke oil. :wink:

My old johnson 8 horse used to do this. I bought it new and ran it for ten years, dripping the whole time. Ran perfectly the entire time.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks,

I've seen drippage from 2-strokes before, but this seemed to be quite a bit. I like the idea of it not being a problem.

Keta, I have a good idea of what gear lube smells like because I still smell like it. I'll keep a close eye on it. See if I can tell a difference.

Freak

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
simple test would be to drain just a little gear lube out of the lower unit. I did this when I had the "beige" oil leak. Turns out I have water entering the lower unit and have to change fluid frequently until I can get it fixed.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
If the dripping oil is brown, you've got water in the oil. That is a bad.

If the dripping oil is black, you've just got a 2-stroke. :tongue:

[ 11-03-2003, 04:05 AM: Message edited by: Thumper ]

·
Registered
14,443 Posts
Have to agree, it is normal for a 2 stroke that spends much time used as a kicker for trolling slow. This stuff is 2 stroke oil, unburnt fuel and carbon buildup that oozes along inside the exhaust tube. It drips out later all over the garage floor.

The Merc 15ML on 'Pilar' does this if I forget to occasionally goose the speed up as I'm putting along. Go from putt, putt, putt to near full speed for just a few seconds every 10 minutes or so. This does 3 things, blows the buildup out (big cloud of smoke), wakes up the sleeping salmon fishers and changes the speed of the troll. Which often as not trolling offshore, results in a hookup. The fishers wake up because most every time this is how I set the hook on a bite. Later, no drips, no worries. I only see the brown spooge buildup if I forget to goose it once in a while.

Anyone that has played with 2 stroke dirtbikes knows the drill. When you go down a long hill or putt slow through the woods you buuurrrrpppppp a couple of times on the way to keep the plug from loading up. Same deal here.

You should also run at full load for a while after trolling all day. Like when you are on the way into the marina before you trailer the boat. Last thing is to run the motor out of fuel when you flush the salt out of it with the garden hose. Just disconnect the tank once it warms up and run it out of gas. It will start on the first pull next time if you make this a habit.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pilar,

Would you agree that you should NOT run the gas out of a larger OIL INJECTED 2-stroke?

Freak

·
Registered
14,443 Posts
Freakwater, yes, I've heard that before. Can't tell you what the procedure is for the oil injected motors, I have no experience with them. I've never owned a 2 stroke with an oil pump on it. Probably never will because that little $100 pump can fail and smoke your $$$$ outboard in just a very short time.

Sorry, I still live in the premix world. That stuff goes sour when you let the motor sit for just a few weeks. All the 2 strokes that I own that burn premixed fuel get run out of gas before I store them.

My chain saw started last weekend on the 2nd pull after sitting in the garage unloved for over a year. We cut firewood for 3 weekends last fall and when I was done I dumped out the fuel and ran it dry.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
I have a 96 6hp Yamaha that sits out all winter in Bend and it does not have freezing issues. I wonder if the fuel:eek:il mix is correct. It should be 100:1. Even at that ratio, when I troll slowly for several hours I have to blow the motor out at high rpms. However, I have never had oil leak from the exhaust at the prop.

A few days ago, someone posted about a very good Yamaha mechanic that is working on his own. Might be worth finding that number and giving the guy a call.

[ 11-03-2003, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: FallRiverGuy ]

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The former owner used Asmoil synthetic exclusively at 100:1. Gave me a case of the stuff. Enough for ~60 gals of fuel. He swears by the stuff. Made it sound extra special.

Any comments on Amsoil? Could synthetic have anything to do with it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts