IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

I am a senior in college and am working on a software project that will help improve the process for scoring elk antlers. I am currently in need of a lot of elk images in order to improve the results. If you have a picture of a bull elk with its score (any size) and are willing to share it, I would really appreciate it!

Here is the link to the submission form: Image Submission Form

Thanks!

· Registered
1,784 Posts
Welcome aboard. More details please.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

· Registered
172 Posts
If I was running this project I would focus on officially scored bulls. Over half the elk hunters out there could accurately score if their life depended on it. Lots of state record books have plenty of pictures with the official score below.

· Registered
439 Posts
I have seen you post this on a couple hunting forums. I don't think your are going to get many to click on your link to upload photos. Seems like on odd scenario, possibly a computer virus scam.

If you really are doing a project, ask people to post the photo and the score on this thread. You can copy and paste that your self. You will get a lot more responses that way. It also looks suspicious when you don't answer peoples questions in the thread.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I was running this project I would focus on officially scored bulls. Over half the elk hunters out there could accurately score if their life depended on it. Lots of state record books have plenty of pictures with the official score below.
Haha, that's a good point. The reason I'm reaching out to fellow hunters is because of the large amount of photos that I need (several thousand). Are you talking about the physical record books? I've tried finding officially scored bulls submitted on the Pope & Young website, but I couldn't really find more than the top 10 or so.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have seen you post this on a couple hunting forums. I don't think your are going to get many to click on your link to upload photos. Seems like on odd scenario, possibly a computer virus scam.

If you really are doing a project, ask people to post the photo and the score on this thread. You can copy and paste that your self. You will get a lot more responses that way. It also looks suspicious when you don't answer peoples questions in the thread.
Good point. The problem with asking everyone to post their photo and score on the thread is that I'll have to go back through and manually save them to my computer. In order to make it easier to manage, I decided to create a Google form that allows anyone to submit a photo and score directly to a Google Drive folder.

I promise it's not a virus, but if you feel more comfortable posting directly to this thread, that works too! :)

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome aboard. More details please.

Thanks! I'm working on developing my Software Engineering senior project, and am in need of several thousand photos of bulls preferably where their score is known. I'd prefer to have the gross score, and I'm looking for any sized bulls 200" to 400"+. Pretty much any photo where you can see the head and antlers is good.

Hope that explains it a little better!

· Registered
499 Posts

· Registered
1,784 Posts
Thanks! I'm working on developing my Software Engineering senior project, and am in need of several thousand photos of bulls preferably where their score is known. I'd prefer to have the gross score, and I'm looking for any sized bulls 200" to 400"+. Pretty much any photo where you can see the head and antlers is good.

Hope that explains it a little better!
You mention improve the process and results of scoring elk in your initial post.

Are you talking about a new scoring system? Software that can score from a photo? Or ?

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You mention improve the process and results of scoring elk in your initial post.

Are you talking about a new scoring system? Software that can score from a photo? Or ?

Yep! The idea of the project is to try and create a software that can produce a score (within 15pts of the actual score) from any photo of a bull elk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.