IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One more day to apply! A few things are changing this year in the regs. Everyone has different strategies. You don't need to name a unit, just curious what those with 15-16 points and up are doing. Are you applying for a big 3 tag? A tag in a unit not in the big 3? Point savers? State how many points you have and what your plans are.

I'll start. I myself have 18 points for elk and will be applying for a big 3 bull tag (rifle)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Pile of points, but still unlikely to draw a desired big 3 archery in my lifetime given creep rate. So I will endure many painful years ahead with a big 3 first choice playing the ridiculous longshot odds 25% pool first choice and my usual archery unit as second choice, which used to be general season tag.

Expecting that I won't draw that usual unit archery tag some years after Jeremy Thompson at ODFW cut archery opportunity in eastside units below historical tag numbers. So it looks like those years I will be forced out of state looking for an OTC archery option. Curios if anywhere closer than Colorado might still have archery OTC tags left in June the years I get blanked by ODFW.

·
Registered
14,445 Posts
Purgatory for me.

13 points. Not enough to get a good tag. Too many to burn on a mediocre hunt.

Point savers for now.

·
Registered
11,397 Posts
Pile of points, but still unlikely to draw a desired big 3 archery in my lifetime given creep rate. So I will endure many painful years ahead with a big 3 first choice playing the ridiculous longshot odds 25% pool first choice and my usual archery unit as second choice, which used to be general season tag.

Expecting that I won't draw that usual unit archery tag some years after Jeremy Thompson at ODFW cut archery opportunity in eastside units below historical tag numbers. So it looks like those years I will be forced out of state looking for an OTC archery option. Curios if anywhere closer than Colorado might still have archery OTC tags left in June the years I get blanked by ODFW.
Left over tags in idaho are always an option..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
770 Posts
As are any of the remaining 25 archery otc units on the east side.
25 options, well maybe. A quick look at the 2021 numbers makes me pause.
The combined 7 SE units that remain OTC saw 2021 archery harvest total of 10 elk.
The 6 combined SC units remain OTC and saw 2021 archery harvest total of 30 elk.
The 4 combined Columbia OTC units saw 2021 archery harvest total of 59 elk.
The 2 combined NE units that remain OTC saw 2021 archery harvest total of 83 elk.
The 4 combined Central units that remain OTC saw 2021 archery harvest total of 83 elk.

That is an average archery harvest of approximately 10 elk total per management unit.

But yes, I guess I agree that would be an option for someone. After all, there were a reported 380 hunter days in one of those units for a total harvest of 1 elk, so archery hunters were willing to essentially hunt every day of the 30-day season for 13 years in order to harvest 1 elk.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts