IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 576 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who else is kind of excited about the new electric trucks hitting the road?
The soon to be released Rivian is estimated to have a 300 (same as ford) or a 400 mile range with the high capacity battery pack. That's putting it close to the majority of my fishing areas assuming a 50% reduction in range when towing. Vernita for example is only 180 miles round trip.
At 2.7 cents per kwh it would only cost $4.86 to "fill up" rather than the $90 dollars it costs with my current guzzler and virtually no scheduled maintenance. That would make those near daily fishing trips way more affordable! Trips to Banks would cost $4 instead of $75...
A Ford engineer put the switch from gas to electric this way:
Do you remember switching from your old, cordless drill to your new lithium-ion one?
I do. And I never bought a corded one again...
Am I going to be an early adopter? I'm kinda struggling not to be. The market and technology is going to change really quickly and what's available today won't likely compare to the market in five years. So I'm thinking I'll push my truck a few more years and buy an electric then. I'd keep the gasser for longer trips and towing the camper (two vehicle trips).
If you haven't looked at the new EV trucks you should. They're really well thought out with thoughtful features. The F150 will power your house for up to three days, auto leveling suspensions, onboard air compresses, extendable beds, autopilot, full glass roofs, etc.
For me it's not just the environmental advantages, that's a secondary thing, but the cost of operation and the design upgrades that are available (quiet, 4 motors, etc) that drive my thought process. My other main concern is around resale with 100k on the odometer and with no truck models at that point it's a big unknown (although one could use early Tesla's as a proxy).
They're expensive... But so is a diesel truck which is my other option. Odd right?

·
Registered
16,425 Posts
I've been watching the market as well. I'd love to have an EV for my next truck, but fear they will be priced well beyond what I can afford. Musk swears he will have a few trucks on the market before the end of this year, and the Ford isn't far off. It will be fun to watch this segment grow.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Not sure the analogy to the cordless drill is accurate.
Comparing the gas and electric chains saws, more so. They have their place, and might be the cats meow for some folks.
I guess I see it as calculating the premium you pay for the electric against how much fuel and oil changes it will buy.

Im definitely not against them, one thing we need to figure out is that they pay their fair share of road taxes, and Im not on the “per mile“ band wagon. Paying at the pump was the fair way in my opinion, because typically the heavier you were the more fuel you burn and the more tax you pay.

Reactions: judyfish99

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Not sure the analogy to the cordless drill is accurate.
Comparing the gas and electric chains saws, more so. They have their place, and might be the cats meow for some folks.
I guess I see it as calculating the premium you pay for the electric against how much fuel and oil changes it will buy.

Im definitely not against them, one thing we need to figure out is that they pay their fair share of road taxes, and Im not on the “per mile“ band wagon. Paying at the pump was the fair way in my opinion, because typically the heavier you were the more fuel you burn and the more tax you pay.
There was a time not too long ago that I viewed electric vehicles as a transitory technology at best. Remember those battery packed electric vehicles of the 1990s?
Changes in technology have made electric vehicles into a viable alternative. Range has increased dramatically as 300 to 400 mile ranges were unheard of a decade ago. Quick charging stations have made 'refueling' more realistic. Modern chargers can provide 350kW or more allowing you to recover a significant amount of charge in 20 to 30 minutes (after 300-400 miles I'm ready for lunch anyways). I'm not sure we're 100% there but we're close enough that it's becoming a realistic leap in technology.
We need to do something about road taxes one way or another. With the advent of more fuel efficient vehicles this has been an issue for a long time.
Electricity comes at a price unrelated to the truck its self. How many more windmill farms do we need/want? Solar chargers?
How many more oil wells or platforms do we want or need?
How do we want to use the oil we have left? Burn it in our cars? Plastic production? Other industrial uses?
Everything comes with a cost and nothing is free. But this is a red herring argument...
EVs certainly make more sense in some energy markets than others. In places with lots of coal or natural gas power it's a lost leader. But in others it does make sense. I'm not anti gas but it is a fading technology both for environmental reasons (transportation, land use, environmental spill, climate change, etc.) and availability (gas isn't an unlimited resource and it will become more expensive and hard to extract over time).
Are EVs the tech of the future? I'm not sure but I bet the shift away from gas happens quicker than we expect. Most major manufacturers have committed to this transition in the very near future...

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Count me in! looking forward to seeing more about the F-150. Curious about towing ranges. It would mainly replace the Camaro for my daily driver, as it is getting harder and harder to get into and out of. Amazing how that works.
Have the big diesel Ram, and may hang onto it as well for longer towing trips.

·
Registered
tuners, steeltrouts, lings, anything goes
2,348 Posts
I currently have a CyberTruck Tri-Motor on reserve, but holding out until I see what Chevy comes out with. I think Chevy is going to surprise folks as their current offerings are quite solid. I drive a little Chevy Bolt as my daily commuter car, and it is VERY impressive, despite its ho-hum looks. Quite literally one of the quickest vehicles I've ever been in. I personally like it better than my boss's Tesla Model 3.

The CyberTruck Tri-Motor has the same hauling/towing capacity as a 1 ton diesel truck. 500mi range (would be less with a load obviously) and plenty of other impressive specs.

My only hangups right now are wanting to know the real world towing range as towing a boat to Newport may be a challenge for me. The Tesla superchargers are very fast, so that's not so much an issue... but right now, most charging stations aren't set up for someone towing a trailer.

Life with an EV so far has been great, and it has shown me what I need to be mindful of when getting a truck in the future. If you haven't driven an EV, I highly suggest you do. I'm always eager to put friends behind the wheel of my Bolt. Not to brag about my sexy new car (i mean, it's a plain looking commuter) - but to show them how different driving an electric is, but in a very, very cool way.

Ideally, I'd want something like an EV Suburban or Excursion. I'm really hoping something like that happens. Chevy has the Hummer EV coming, so after they're done showing off with stuff like that, I'm hoping they come out with a more practical SUV offering.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have a friend who has a tesla. Its fun to drive. But for me an EV especially pickup has no place. I tow heavy, live remote, drive remote and long distances too often. Just made a trip from kfalls to fort collins and back in 2 days roughly 2400 miles. Dont think that EV would make that turn around very fast. All my hunting trips are atleast 12 HR get speeds away not to mention what do I do when I'm in the woods for 2+ weeks. I make frequent 5-6 hr trips to the coast.. Just doesn't pencil out for me

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Personally I think EV trucks have a LONG ways to go before they are useful. For any truck to be worthwhile for me it needs to be able to tow at least 20,000+ pounds for at least 6-800miles at a time and have the ability to recharge via solar, etc. If I can’t go up in the woods for two weeks at a time then the vehicle is completely useless, for me. And if I have to run a generator to recharge it then it completely defeats the EV purpose. I really think we are just exchanging one environmental impact for another long term.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
They're not there yet for a lot of those tasks just mentioned, but they're coming a long way very quickly. Thing is MOST trucks on the market today mostly stay local. Think contractors, and general work trucks, fleet trucks, etc. They're not typically making those huge journeys with huge loads. The F150 is the best selling vehicle in America because it's a practical work truck for local work. That's the market ford is appealing to with their new F150 Lightning.

I think once things are solidified there, we'll see more heavy duty, long range options. The tech is just about there. And electric engines are unbelievably powerful.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Im more then likely past the age group to get one that will effectively replace my Ram Dually. Towing at distant, fast recharging on the road going cross country on roads less traveled. They are going to be pricey for sure. How nice it would be not to have to deal with those damnm check engine lights, diesel trucks are the worst for those, and freckn bi- annual smog checks we have down here,,,gregg

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
They're not there yet for a lot of those tasks just mentioned, but they're coming a long way very quickly. Thing is MOST trucks on the market today mostly stay local. Think contractors, and general work trucks, fleet trucks, etc. They're not typically making those huge journeys with huge loads. The F150 is the best selling vehicle in America because it's a practical work truck for local work. That's the market ford is appealing to with their new F150 Lightning.

I think once things are solidified there, we'll see more heavy duty, long range options. The tech is just about there. And electric engines are unbelievably powerful.
I agree with you about F150s etc. However, I don’t think the technology is even close for what I am looking for. I have been in/out of the solar market for the last decade and while the panels have gotten much better nothing is even in the realm of being able to recharge a heavy duty elec truck within a short time frame…..at least not that I have seen.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I agree with you about F150s etc. However, I don’t think the technology is even close for what I am looking for. I have been in/out of the solar market for the last decade and while the panels have gotten much better nothing is even in the realm of being able to recharge a heavy duty elec truck within a short time frame…..at least not that I have seen.
Not sure where solar plays in to this. Other than the Cybertruck's solar panel tonneau cover that recharges like 15mi of range per day as a "bonus charge", they all just plug in to a regular 110 or 220 outlet at home.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
One thing I can think of is your home charging station, it would need to be placed in a convenient location as most of us truck owners don't park in a garage. I do admit I'm not familiar with how the charging stations work but at my house it would be a pain as sometimes I have my truck hooked up to a trailer or near my shop. Just another thing to factor in, and the cost of multiple stations if you have more than one EV.

1 - 20 of 576 Posts