IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into buying an electric trolling motor. I have a 15ft smokercraft. I fish the columbia and smaller lakes mostly. Anyone have any suggestions or have used an electric. Any help would be great. Oh and money is deffinetly a factor as to why I have considered an electric. Thanks for the help.

Cartman

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have an Minn Kota Endura 50 (50lb)transom mount on my little laker (11ft livingston style), and it can push me and my wife around fine, all day with just one deep cycle marine battery. I think they can be had for about 150$?

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
They're great for lakes in relatively calm conditions. They start right up, forward or reverse! And quiet, and no exhaust.

Wind and river currents can be frustrating, you can't fight them, and you suck up a lot of "juice" if you try.

Motors are light but batteries are heavy. Good batteries aren't cheap.

I found mine was good for about a day of trolling, then needed to recharge. If you camp out for a weekend, this becomes an issue!

In short, I love the Minn-Kota on a quiet lake. At Bouy 10, it's just about worthless.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Buoy 10 !?!? :shocked:

It's going to take a pretty good trolling motor for that 15 foot smokercraft. I run the 42lb thrust Minn Kota for my 14 foot Gregor. It's a good backup/trolling motor in calm waters.

Another factor is you will need to get a salt-water series if you plan on fishing anywhere in the sound or any other brackish bays (or Buoy 10). I have to leave mine off when I go crabbing in the salt and I get nervous sometimes not having a back-up to my 8hp Honda.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have a 55lb thrust Minkota transom mount on my 12ft aluminum. It's great for lake fishing, really moves two 250lb guys, but really sucks down a battery in the rivers.
For weekend camping trips I generally have to take 3 charged batteries with me for 3 good days of fishin.

And like it was mentioned...those batteries are not light....and they are pretty spendy.

·
Registered
740 Posts
So what is the minimum amount of thrust would you use on a 16 foot fiberglass driftboat? I would love to try the electric while backbouncing (solo) or boondogging on the Willamette valley and coastal rivers. Would this be practical for a full days fishing? :shrug:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info. I don't plan on having to use the electric to much, but it would be usefull. I will have to look into the saltwater series as i will use it on the nestuca and the trask. Thanks again.

Cartman

1 - 7 of 7 Posts