IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
5,354 Posts
I have been reasearching these and like the Cushman or the other canadian made one. I'll get back to you on the second but I think it was Blue Lakes or something like that.
I do not have first hand experience yet but hope to before too long. Got shrimp on the brain...

· Registered
360 Posts
I have the Cushman that fits into the Scotty base. I would not leave home without it. A must for crabbing in the ocean. It pulls up to 750 lbs so be carefull.
Dick :cheers:

· Banned
1,564 Posts
Carefull

They have a different looking pot designs. Aay,,,,
My non commercial size pots have bout 20lbs of weight plus the pot. Throw the crab and bait and current you get to 100lb pull pretty easy.

Buck @ Cushman knows his stuff.
I have owned his gas shrimp pullers for many years.
Just keep replacing the motor when we forget to wash and wd-40 the heck out of it. His electric pullers are top notch.
I would be more worried about capsizing a small, improperly loaded craft if you got the pot hung up and could not disengage the capstan quickly.

· Registered
4,867 Posts
I have had four of them - pullers over the years...started w gas briggs cobbled together used..bought a new briggs from Buck was not worth [email protected]#$#@!, ended up pulling a whole set from 400' by hand ..took that back to Buck, he exchanged for Honda - wow starts first pull every time :smile: For other reasons converted to electric - Cushman boats, Hoodsport, WA - talk to Buck. I have the version with ezpuller run it off grp 31 trojan. I have heavy big pots that I run deep. Use lead line. I like the scotty base adapter but I also rigged up a safety cable.

· Registered
1,612 Posts
I use a Honda gas engine and like it very much. Bought it from Buck @ Cushman. Sent you a PM. :smash: :smash:

· Registered
9,362 Posts
Informative discussion and good idea. I've considered a pot puller, have the scotty mount close to my davit. Now I gotta find out if I can just get the motor and mount w/o the davit. But it's one more thing to store on my boat that is VERY short of storage space.

ron m

· Banned
1,564 Posts
I mount my puller on a 2x10 that has a "flat board mount" that Buck fab'd up. The davit tube base simply sets into the bracket and clips in place. Removable and easy to set up. I mount the 2x10 on my buddies 20' N.R. and C clamp the hell out of it.
I believe Buck calls it the "Skiff Mount Bracket and Davit"

· Registered
2,348 Posts
I've used the 12vdc Ace Pot Puller for a couple years. It is compact (not much extra space on my 15' Arima), quiet (much quieter than other electrics, but a little slower too) and fits in the Scotty downrigger mount perfectly (no extra rigging required and I can even use the downrigger's swivel).

No complaints from me, except the seasons have been so short that it is hard to justify the cost!

· Banned
218 Posts
Couldn't find a price... How much?
It's a Canadian company and the product looks a lot like this onehttp://www.blueoceantackle.com/pot_haulers.htm
Yes that's his ex-partner :laugh:
You know how it is men start successful business/money starts rolling in/disagreements start and they go their own ways.
Product actually improves as they strive to outdo the other.
Now King Puller is 100% S/S while Ace is still painted metal.
King Puller also has a more powerful motor while Ace is promising a bigger/better one in their new model.
Consumer wins in the end. :cheers:
I've seen the King Puller from $650-$800 Canadian here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.