IFish.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your eggs are already cured. Best to use them as they are. Personally, I would use the boraxed eggs to catch another steelhead and then cure THOSE eggs for Chinook. If this isn't possible, use them as part of an sandshrimp/egg cocktail. Better yet, get some Ammerman's Eggs.

Here's a nice link regarding springer bait: http://www.ifish.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000293

It's hard enough to get those dang spring chinook to bite, why make it harder by using a bait you probably don't have confidence in? You know as soon as a hot bite starts and everyone around you is catching fish and you're not, you'll blame it on the "wrong eggs." River time is valuable, get good bait!

[ 05-09-2003, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: KillerDave ]

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Another thought is not to necessarily "recure" them but simply sprinkle some of the commercial cure on a small quantity of eggs as you fish. You then get the benefit of the scent without the leathery eggs.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Pro Cure Slam-ola powder the night before should work good. Has a high chemical content with msg and other flavor enchancers.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Curious to get some input on an egg curing question. I have some winter steelhead eggs that were cured with only borax and then frozen. I initially put them up thinking that I would use them for steelhead. Now I would like them to have some of the scent and bite enhancers that commercial salmon cures add. That said, Would it be a bad idea to thaw these eggs and then cure them with a Pro Cure type product (salmon egg cure) in order to use them for salmon?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Your borax cured eggs will get leathery if you try to cure them again with Pro Cure or any other commercial cure. Boraxed eggs work just fine, in my opinion. I used to borax eggs for years, before I developed my own technique with a commerical cure. In the old days, borax was the standard for eggs. Now there are great commercial cures.

I'd recommend that you not try to recure them, unless you want a poorer quality, leathery egg. I've done it.

I've caught plenty of salmon and steelhead with borax cured steelhead eggs. My first springer last year was caught using steelhead eggs.

Good luck, and chime on anyone else.

:cool:

SKP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts