IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall, someone posted really cool instructions with picts on how-to tie a hook knot for fishing with eggs in rapids. I faithfully practiced for three weeks last fall, and now: "read signature" :shrug: I know this has been beat to death, but I couldn't find it in the search files, no matter what words I used. Help me Spock, help me....
I get the first part of the knot, then what????? thanks

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
By saying the first part of the knot, what do you mean exactly? You're halfway there. This is what I do, take an end of your leader and run it through the eye towards the hook bend with a little tail of about a half inch past the bend of the hook. Now, take the end of the leader that is going out the eye in the direction your swivel will be and make about 16 wraps around the hook starting at the eye and moving toward the bend. Once you get those wraps hold the wraps snug with your fingers and then run the long part of the leftover leader back throught the eye towards the swivel end, only about an inch. Now, make 6 more wraps over this tag end and hold all this snug again. Wet it with saliva and then pull the tag end towards the swivel end again until tight. You're done. A lot of people will only wrap eight times for the first part but I've found that the eggs last longer on the hook and are'nt cut into quite as quick. Good luck. I'm terrible with links and stuff yet so I try and describe as best I can. You could get Bill Herzogs book, Strong Fishing Knots or A Color Guide to Steelhead Drift Fishing, they both have the egg bumper in it with only eight wraps for the first part. This should help. :cheers:

[ 05-08-2003, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: steelheadslayer ]

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank-you for the help. Steelheadslayer's description was like the "hit on the head". Oh ya, now I remember. :whazzup: I just couldn't see how to get the loop. Thanks... :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts