IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took at look at the pond(s) at EE Wilson wildlife refuge last week. I have never fished there but there seems to be lots of folks there that do. I know they stock it pretty regularly with trout.....anyone have any info? ie is there only trout in it?

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
ODFW stocks many different species in there. I have caught a few nice trout while I was in Monmouth for a few months. Seems to get quite a few of the broodstock

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
It has been stocked with catchable trout as well as a few of the larger 1lbers as well as a few broodstock fish (last stocked the week of 4/21). See http://www.dfw.state.or.us/ODFWhtml/InfoCntrFish/trout_stocking_sched/south_willamette.htm for the stocking schedule.

I did well there a month or so ago for catchables. Don't be shy to try the inlet (far side away from where you first come up to the fishing pond) - power bait under a bobber (w/ some weight to keep the power bait down). The catchables were hanging in the shallower water in near the brush (like they were crappies or something :shocked: ).

Like all Willamette Valley ponds, they get harder to fish as the temperature warm because of plant growth. I found the crowds pleasant and dealt with the trash by picking it up. Good place to take kids fishing but it can be finicky with respect to the bite.

[ 04-29-2003, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Navigator ]

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
They usually put old brookstock steelhead in there...I've seen them swimming around, but I've personally never seen one caught. I've been there I think a total of three times, and I don't think I'll ever be back. So much litter, white trash, jerks, etc. Just does not appeal to me...
Russ why aren't you fishing for steelhead or springers...? :rolleyes:
Hope to see you at the next OSU meeting if you decide to go.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sparkleboy......good question, if I knew where to go or had a boat I would :smile:

Navigator.....thanks for the info

Ended up going out yesterday afternoon with the wife.......didnt do much until it started getting REAL DARK from the thunderstorms moving in. Really a neat show........this big thundercell moved due north (pretty much) from north-west of corvallis up towards monmouth and beyond. We were looking due west watching it (in the good weather).

Anyway saw lots of 5-8" bass around the shorline brush. Started using power bait and bobber and didnt do anything UNTIL it the sky got dark from the storms going by....then bingo, fish on! Granted they were only in the 8-10 inch range, still fun. Had to keep a couple since they were bleeders but I guess thats why they stock them in there :smile: Will have to de-barb hooks next time. About 20 other people there scattered around, almost everyone was using the same thing and catching a fish every 5-10 minutes. Might go back and try some flies....the wife caught a little crappie about 5" long, wonder if there is any more a little larger :smile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts