IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next door neighbor is going up to Echo Bay, BC to fish for Halibut and Salmon. Can anyone give me some fishing tips on Salmon for this area? What do you use and how to fish it?

·
Banned
218 Posts
I've fished just North of there a number of years running.
If it's Chinook he's after an Anchovy/Flasher combo can't be beat leader 4-8 feet depending how fast he trolls.
I usually use a Geen/Go teaser head for the Anchovy and a Green Flasher but Blue or Purple can be effective as well as the old standard red.
The top 40 feet is usually where you'll find Chinook and if the Coho are starting to show he's in for a fun time.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just returned today from 2 weeks at Telegraph Cove. Best Chinook fishing I've seen in 5 years. fish to 45 pounds taken. Most on flashers/ anchovys in 85 feet of water. red or green flashers are popular. A couple locals I know have done very well using coyote spoons. Whatever they rig with, they run the flasher about 25-30 feet behind the ball. Fishing pressure was very light.
Halibut were very good to me, also. Have fun!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I fished out of Echo bay for 2 weeks about 5 years ago. One thing we found was that if you put bait in the water you had a dog shark on almost immedieatly. Try bucktails and hoochies behind a big plastic dodger. We caught Chinook right on top as we let them out before the flasher even got pulled under.
If this is a pink year (not sure, if it's even or odd, can't remember) you'll have problems getting thru the pinks to catch the ho's or nooks. Man- I hate it when you can't get the rigs thru the salmon to catch a salmon! :shocked:
PS- smoke the pinks up right away and eat them in camp, not good for much else. :depressed:
PSS- try the 30-40 foot water where it dumps into a deeper channel for Halibut. :smile:
PSS- try right off the dock in front of the store for halibut. Use a whole pink/silver head. A 300 lbr got taken off the dock while I was there. :shocked:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I have fished out of Telegraph Cove several times and everything posted above is true...except we never encountered many dogfish like you can at times elsewhere. One thing to consider is timing of commercial fishing season openings...one trip (a pink or humpy year) the first couple of days there were salmon everywhere...huge schools of pinks that would make your fishfinder screen look loke it was being electronically jammed. You could get pinks as fast as you let your hootchie & green/silver flasher out just a few yards. Then the commercial net boats went at it and in one day literally scooped up all the pink salmon schools. Fishfinder looked normal again...and coho/chinook fishing was again possible. We also got into sockeye one trip...them are good eats!

We liked to stay at Double Bay Resort on Hanson Island. Murray Gardham, a really nice guy, is the owner. :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts