IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
24,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm sitting here eating cougar steak. not bad, a little chewy but taste is a cross between pork sirloin and deer. i think i'll use it just like bear, roast/stew/grind. i have a few packages of steak packaged and will cut a few more but it will mostly be taco meat grind. that is what we are short of in the freezer. i have a bag in the freezer for dinner for the wife to decide on. i can say this right now: in my opinion it is not grilling meat or steak. but it will make great slow cooker roasts/stew/grind.it is a mild meat that absorbs spice very well. smells great and has a good texture. if you ever get a cougar, definitely plan on eating it. it is every bit as good as bear, the only reason it is not as good as deer or elk. it is chewy in steaks. flavorwise, it is verygood.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Thanks for the report. Been anxious to hear about it. Just remember to cook it thoroughly and if anyone makes jerky out of it...make sure you get the temp up high just like pork. I recall a story about a bunch of guys in Idaho that got trichinosis from eating cougar jerky that was not cooked to temp.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
I cooked a cougar rolled roast in the crock pot last year. Threw in a can of Cream of Mushroom and a Cream of Celery, etc. Looked and tasted just like a pork loin at dinner time.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Thanks for the report. Been anxious to hear about it. Just remember to cook it thoroughly and if anyone makes jerky out of it...make sure you get the temp up high just like pork. I recall a story about a bunch of guys in Idaho that got trichinosis from eating cougar jerky that was not cooked to temp.
Toxoplasmosis is not as well known as trichinosis because it's a parasite with life cycle in felines (cat family). Cougars in the PNW are known to be infected. Unlike trichinosis that affects only the person eating the meat, "toxo" infections can be passed from pregnant women to their babies.

So please handle such meat carefully and cook it to at least 160 F.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Parasites_and_Foodborne_Illness/index.asp

·
Registered
24,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
24,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
181 Posts
Stir fry is excellent with cougar too. Slice into small pieces and cook fast and hot in a wak, couldn't tell the difference between that an pork, like baltz said it takes spices very well.

·
Registered
24,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Thanks Baltz, that is good looking meat!

It's good to get a first hand report about the eatablity (is that a word?).

Congrats again!

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Thanx for the information.
Puts a whole new dimension on the phrase, "Here kitty,kitty".

·
Registered
626 Posts
I cooked a cougar backstrap and a pork loin side by side on the grill, and had a few friends over. A couple of gals got a little testy when they found out what i fed em', but admitted it was good.

Wildcat taco's are the bomb!!!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
. . . A couple of gals got a little testy when they found out what i fed em', but admitted it was good.

Wildcat taco's are the bomb!!!
LMAO. :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
24,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well my wife did up a standard breaded steak with potatoes and green beans for dinner. great taste, "BUT" the best steaks on a hindquarter are chewy. we are going to stew meat and grind the rest.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
WOW! I've never seen a man eating cougar!!:bigshock:

·
Registered
24,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my wife really liked it flavorwise. so now i get to hunt more :meme:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks for the report as I have always wondered what they would taste like at the dinner table. Now I will probably shoot one if I have the chance knowing that it would be edible.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts