IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading up to East Lake on Wensday for 5 days and was wondering if anybody has heard how the fishing as been either there or any of the other lakes in the area. I am looking forward for a little still fishing action. Nothing is more fun that trying to keep a nice trout on 1lb test leader from getting into your anchor lines.( well almost).

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
It is good. Prime time for monster browns is now. But you will want downriggers to do it. If you have riggers, leave the 1# test in the box for a day. Rumor has it that a 20 something brown came out of Paulina( I think, ...hey it is a rumor!) this year.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What is the road access like on the way up to East Lake, I’ve heard the road is 4 WD only with deep ruts. Have I been mislead due the great fishing and low pressure?

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Flatfish, how deep do you run DRs for the larger browns up there?

2 weeks ago I was up there and a 11 pounder was caught, not sure how commom that is. I heard the guy was clearly targetting large browns....wasn't by accident.

gus

·
Registered
369 Posts
I will be at Paulina this weekend also and was wondering what the Koke fishing is like. The road to East was just gravel the last time I was up a year or so ago, but you did not need a 4wd. unless it has changed over the winter. Look for the "lostpuppy" boat and say HI.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the info I plan on heading up there this summer after I do a little wheel bearing work on the trailer. I’ve got a Scotty downrigger that I want to try out in some deep water.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’m not really new, well kind of, I had an old moniker that was pretty lame BJC (initials) and I lost my log in password. Really I didn’t post that often, I was just learning as much as I could. I am a self-taught fisherman, with little success. I’ll post an introduction in a new thread.
Have a good one
B.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Gus,

As deep as the fish. A depthfinder is necessary. The good ones will show big fish suspended off structure. Fish where the fish are.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Flatfish.....Actually that 20 lber was not a rumour but fact..I think it went 26 lbs caught I believe in May by a guy who targets the big browns in the lake......Thing looked like a salmon.............

·
Registered
801 Posts
East Lake has a Health Advisory for Mercury Contamination. See page 14 of the regulations for guidelines as to, depending on your age, how much Mercury you can consume without it being a health risk. But why would you...

·
Registered
269 Posts
I fished Paulina on Saturday evening, (as I watched the plume from the davis lake fire take off) We trolled willow leaves followed by a hares ear & got 10 or 12 browns & rainbows in the 12 - 16" class. I also took a few on the fly rod w/ a # 12 hares ear. We werent going for the big boys, just out to catch a few fish. Most of fish came out of 6-12 feet of water near the red slide.

Good luck

·
Registered
436 Posts
Got back from East on monday, who ever said it was gravel road to east was telling one whopper of a lie to keep you from a gem of a lake. Caught a fair number of koke's a few small (14 in) browns, rainbows and a couple atlantic salmon. Browns are best fished at dawn and dusk with rapalas in the shallows casted. You can also troll em, caught a few kokes that way put on a mjaor fight, real aggresive strikes, had a few nice hits on the rapala that could have been some lunkers but never got to see what caused the strike. You can see the smoke up there from the davis fire too, looks like Mt. Bachelor has exploded the way the smoke goes so high.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Who guys, don't go telling everyone the roads are paved or they may think any boater can get in thar. Last winter was extra tough and the snow plows damaged a large portion of it. I don't think it is repaired yet and there were may ruts and holes big enouth to launch a boat in.

Go somewhere else.

Downriggers 40 to 60 feel according to one of my neighbors. He is a regular there and just loves his rapalas with a joint...... Colors don't matter to much when you get that deep. He likes the frog and a silver one with red spots. Go figure, total different ends of the color chart.

Go, both lakes are a lot of fun and catch and release is great at East Lake. These two lakes will also become your favorite as it is mine. The roads are great and have been pave for years. They do get a little snow and Ice damage but not bad enought to scare off anyone.

We will need a report of course.. of course

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Crayfish,

East and Paulina are in my backyard. The road is paved to both lakes. There is a backroad from East Lake off the east side of the mountain that will take you out to the desert that is dirt.

The fishing has been very good at both lakes. Browns in the evening at East is the best. The lake comes alive with rising fish every night.

Have a great time.

[ 07-04-2003, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: gofishoregon ]

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks for the info guys.....never been to either lake, and want to take my 10 year old over this summer. What is the camping situation like? Is there much in the way of unimproved sites or is it strictly a campground show??

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
=Super secret= fish in 40' with a size 16 treble hook covered in velveta cheese. no joke but shshshhshsh dont tell any body. Good luck Rich p.s. lower it to the bottom slow so the cheese stays on then reel up about a foot and wait . one tap set the hook dont wait for to. hit them on the first tap. dont tell anybody I'll be there on the 18th thru the 22and

·
Registered
51 Posts
As far as camping goes...

The area is more restricted than some because it is inside the Newberry Crater National Geologic Area. Most camping is in improved fee campgrounds, there are several at both lakes. There are also cabins available at both lakes and as far as I know Paulina Resort is still offering it's prime rib meal on weekends in its very small restuarant. You need reservations.

You can rent boats and buy gear and snacks etc. at both resort stores as well as get good info where to fish.

Paulina has a few boat in, hike in, campsites on the opposite side of the lake as well as an area with natural hotsprings right at lakeside. Bring a shovel and bucket to dig them out.

Also, at Paulina they have had an annoying bear problem, so keep your food stowed properly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey Big Bean,

One thing regarding fishing with your ten year old. Depending on how much your kid has fished this might or might not be all that appealling.

I took my kids to East Lake, years ago when they were like two and three, to catch their first fish.

If you fish near the sulfer hot springs on the southeast shoreline, you will know you are there by the smell, you can catch the rough fish known as Tau Chubs. They are ugly but will bite on just about anything and can catch them buy the dozens which is pretty fun for the kids.

You won't want to keep them, maybe give them a little rap on the noggin when the kids aren't looking and throw them back, the Osprey will love you.

[ 07-04-2003, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: gofishoregon ]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts