IFish.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at going to East Cape on the Baja, December 27 to January 5 during Xmas Break. I have done some research and some outstanding fishing takes place during that time- at least what I am interested in. Would like to know if anyone has some suggestions for lodging. I have looked at some of the hotels/resorts and they have some two day Panga deals with a 4 night 5 day stay. Also need to know what city ie. La Paz or Cabo would you fly into.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Do a search for Van Wormer resorts. This resort is about fishing but has good accommodations. The owner if he is still alive was an electrical engineer that went down on a fishing trip and never went home. I believe his son Bobby is running the place now. Go out with Jose on the Rude Girl and that should do it. Jose may be a common name but this one has blue eyes.:bigshock:I just dont know how good December will be we always go in May.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looking at going to East Cape on the Baja, December 27 to January 5 during Xmas Break. I have done some research and some outstanding fishing takes place during that time- at least what I am interested in. Would like to know if anyone has some suggestions for lodging. I have looked at some of the hotels/resorts and they have some two day Panga deals with a 4 night 5 day stay. Also need to know what city ie. La Paz or Cabo would you fly into.

Thanks
You might try Martin Verdugo's Hotel and Sportfishing in Los Barriles about 40 miles north of Cabo. It's not too fancy and the panga's all pull up on the beach in front of the hotel. It is a few miles north of Buena Vista.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Do a search for Van Wormer resorts. This resort is about fishing but has good accommodations. The owner if he is still alive was an electrical engineer that went down on a fishing trip and never went home. I believe his son Bobby is running the place now. Go out with Jose on the Rude Girl and that should do it. Jose may be a common name but this one has blue eyes.:bigshock:I just dont know how good December will be we always go in May.
DB: I have been going down there every year since 1998, and have always stayed at the Van Wormer Resorts. Until two years ago I stayed at their Palmas de Cortez. It was a great quiet place, catering to fishermen, and not much else. Now it has been significantly upgraded, and is more family oriented, with lots of kids, loud nights around the pool, etc. Even condo's & timeshares available. Just up the beach is another Van Wormer resort: Plya del Sol. It is what Palmas used to be, and that's were I stay now. Just my preference (and remembering what I had when I first found Los Barriles):applause::clap: One good thing about it is that since the Van Wormer's own the fishing fleet, it doesn't matter which place you stay, their boats are available.

My first trip was in the same time period you are going. I was there about the 27th of Dec. until the 7 of January. I hate to say it but at least back then most of the boats were pulled out of the water for the winter, although that's not to say that there wern't boats available. Just not as many; but then there wern't the fishermen there that there are in May, and most of the summer and fall. I didn't see many fish caught either, but then I was there to celebrate my birthday, and enjoy some warm winter days. What are you planning on fishing for? Even if fishing is not necessarly the best then, I can't think of a better place to spend some time in the winter.

I have always flown into Cabo. Don't know why, I just think it is the best, or at least it's easy.

Have fun and enjoy,
and remember

<*}}}}><

·
Registered
16,799 Posts
From north to south, on East Cape, we've fished out of LaPaz and Bahia de Muerto (since renamed to something more pleasant).

Then El Cardinal.

And early this year Los Barriles, staying at Rancho Leonaro. If you search Saltydogs, I put up a detailed post about that trip.

Flying into Cabo shortens the ground transport to most of the East Cape lodging.

East Cape Tackle in Los Barriles should be able to supply you with up to date info.

I'd recomend staying somewhere's where you can fish off the beach so that if the weather or offshore fishing sucks, you can at least fish off the beach.

PM me if you want phone #'s and such....

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ketchumfast:

This trip was suppose to take place on Spring Break last March but had to cancel then we were looking at early June but I became a Grandpa. I have fished out of La Paz in June and it was great for Sailfish. I know the fishing will be "iffy" at best. But like you said what a great place to catch some rays and just relax. I hear you about the changes in some of the resorts- I remember Cabo in the mid-eighties before all the golf courses went in- what a gread spot then!
thanks for you help

·
Registered
206 Posts
DB: :applause: CONGRATULATIONS on gaining grandpa status. I hit that milestone in my life 15 years ago. Wow, I'm getting older than I thought!! "Grayhaired" life's not bad tho. In fact it's GREAT :cheers:!!!

I know you said you did some research, but here are a couple web sites you might find interisting if you haven't already found them:

http://www.vanwormerresorts.com

http://www.rancholeonero.com

http://www.bajapapas.com

The bottom two sites have fishing reports available on them in addition to the room rate/package stuff.

Have a great trip. Will be intersted in hearing how it went.

I forgot to mention that when you get to the fish report on bajapapas site, be sure to click on the "smokedogg says" link to get a narrative report.

Remember:
<*{{{{><

·
Registered
16,799 Posts

·
Registered
14,193 Posts
If you can get him on PM or phone 'Puffin' has made a couple barefoot trips down to Baya de los Muertos. They camped on the beach and fished with a 15 foot Whaler.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Spent a week fishing the Bisbee East Cape Tourney last month. We anchored in front of the the Buena Vista Resort in Buena Vista BCS. We missed the $152K Marlin daily by 7lbs on the second day...but that's a story for another time

Good fishing and just south of Baya de los Muertos as mentioned above. No Moorage but the anchorage is very nice and pretty calm. Large charter fee a couple of miles to the north anchored off the large resort in Buena Vista.

We caught 22 marlin, couple of nice YFT and a bunch of nice bait sized YFT for downrigger Marlin trolling. The charter fleet not fishing the tourney, had a pretty good lock on the tuna and there were a few dorado weighed in during the week as well. As to slow Dorado fishing, locals indicated it picked up after the rainy season (now I believe is what they said). Most of ours and many of the charter caught YF tuna came fishing in and around large dolphin schools. We fished primarily to the south east 4-30miles off shore. Stripped Marlin were abundant near to shore and we found our Blue Marlin 20-30miles out. We also released a couple of Sailfish that week.

Trolled hard and soft lures, with all but 3-4 Marlin coming on live bait dropped back in the spread after a drive by, or casting to if found finning the surface.

We landed at San Jose del Cabo (Cabo)...it was about a 45min car ride north to Buena Vista

See http://www.hotelbuenavista.com/ for info including location map.

Go luck - the east cape is very beautiful spot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
DO NOT GO TO HOTEL BUENA VISTA!!!!!!
Was just down there this summer for a month. too many complaints to even get started with a story Buena Vista.
I ussualy go to Van Womer Resort Punta Colorada. I've also stayed at Palmas de Cortez. I now know that I have been spoiled by the service I recieved from the Van Wormer Resorts. Palmas de Cortez is huge now. there is a small golf course, beautiful pool with swim up bar, and is also located in the town of los barillas were there are resturaunts and shopping. I personally like Punta Colorada. It is more secluded. It is a couple of miles from the village of la Ribera(awesome place with wonderful people). I also know a panga fisherman. Carlo speaks perfect english. He is a local and has contacts for houses to rent if you would like to go that way too. Carlo and his brother Julio hold the local blue marlin record(it's the monster hanging above the bar at hotel Palmas de Cortez). I've got his contact information, pm me if you want it.

Oh Yeah 11" petrolero and bleeding mackrel colored lures hooked most of our marlin and big dorado. tuna were eating small hoochies flying fish colors.

·
Banned
218 Posts
The Baja Papa's site as linked has stats archived for that period of time as mentioned it's off season cool often quite windy and not a heckuva lotta fish to catch.

Warmer than where you are now but not tropical at all.

·
Registered
457 Posts
DB,January on the east cape is windy, lots of wind surfers and not the time to fish, if fishing is what your after head to Cabo that time of year.
I'm sitting in Cabo right now drinking coffee watching the boats head out, after the hurricane last week the fishing has been hot.:applause:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Myrtle Bee:

That is what I have been finding out- windy during that time of year. Might have to visit Cabo again or maybe further South. Congrat's on being down there with your view and relaxed coffee drinking this a.m.!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts