IFish.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the obvious benefit of being able to quickly change plugs, is there any reason to put a duo snap onto the end of your line when trolling for steelhead? Or does the plug action work better when your line is tied directly to the Wiggle Wart?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I always use a smallish duo snap with hotshots, although I have experimented with directly tying my line to wiggle warts or wee warts because of the extra length of the snap on the plug. Changing plugs quickly has always been a priority for me because invariably I'm on the oars, but not at the expense of adversely affecting the action of the lure.

3,877 Posts
I always use a duo lock in the small size tied on to my liter line.

Never tried direct ties to the warts themselves because of time it takes to tie. Duo locks work well for me. Just make sure you put them in the water & they are diving straight down.

Tight Lines...

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Last fall I caught over a hundred fish on Brad's Wiggler's which was the first year I ever fished plugs.

Most of them I was using along with a duo snap because of the difficulty tying the knot I was using at the time directly to the plug.
I didn't need to change colors because the #29 caught fish all the time anywhere.

This year I have gone back to tying the trilene knot and am direct tying to the wiggler's without a duo snap and same results; if the fish are there , they will hit the plug.

So they will hit the plugs regardless of whether or not you are using a duo snap or not.
I have caught everyone of my fish by casting the plugs off the bank or boat and not one trolling (I don't troll).

A very good fisherman I met on the Kalama a couple weeks ago told me that the plugs will dive slightly deeper with a duo snap but I have not verified that.

Dano

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
duolock... easy to change plugs, but more important to me is that you know that snap will be centered to the splitring on the plug unlike a knot which could ride to the side.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I definately use a smaller plug snap because it gives the plug a little more action and it is a lot easier to change lures in cold weather. I also am a firm believer in tying the snap on with a loop knot with about a 1" loop. I have caught a lot of steelhead and salmon and this method has always worked well. I still can't believe the guys that still use regular brass swivels when fishing with wiggle warts, kwikfish, or any other lure while fishing for salmon and steelhead. I use to fish with a stubborn guy that always used the swivels. Six trips in a row my buddy and I both caught three fish each while he caught nothing. On the next tripp after fishing half a day and he had still not caught anything I cut his swivel off and tied a plug snap on with the loop not and told him to just try it for awhile. He did and in the next hour and a half he landed three steelhead. He is a definate believer now.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Hey Born to be wild, I was wondering what color the #29 is. I have several hundred wiggle warts but none still in the boxes. My favorite one for in the fall is the AV216. We have put a lot of big fall chinook in my boat using this one.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thanks Lundman,

I sure wish that Brad's would make all the colors that the old style wiggle warts came in. The AV219 is one of the old style. I have heard that Storm is going to start making most all of the old colors again, unfortuanely the AV216 is not one of them. Figures, something that works so well they won't make.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
duolock... easy to change plugs, but more important to me is that you know that snap will be centered to the splitring on the plug unlike a knot which could ride to the side.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Well you have to tie a knot somewhere. Couldn't the knot do the same and ride to the side of the snap?
Or would that not make a difference at the snap?

One thing that did cross my mine later is that sometimes I have found myself changing sizes of plugs like from a wiggler to a wee wiggler or visa/versa.
The duo lock helps out in that situation also.

·
Registered
716 Posts
What LD said. A rapala knot to the Duo snap is a must with me. An extra split ring to the hooks has been an improvement to me also. Seems to "free up" the action a little bit more. Almost forgot one. I will remove the slit ring from the eye too.

[ 11-21-2003, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Irie1 ]

·
Registered
83 Posts
Originally posted by Born to be Wild:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica"> duolock... easy to change plugs, but more important to me is that you know that snap will be centered to the splitring on the plug unlike a knot which could ride to the side.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Well you have to tie a knot somewhere. Couldn't the knot do the same and ride to the side of the snap?

One thing that did cross my mine later is that sometimes I have found myself changing sizes of plugs like from a wiggler to a wee wiggler or visa/versa.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

·
Registered
83 Posts
the knot on the snap won,t affect the action of the plug because the eye on the plug just moves on the duo-lock snap ,as long as the plug has been tuned right.

Originally posted by fish-bones:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Originally posted by Born to be Wild:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica"> duolock... easy to change plugs, but more important to me is that you know that snap will be centered to the splitring on the plug unlike a knot which could ride to the side.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">:dance:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Cool!

I'll probably go back to using the snaps because it does make it easier to change size of plug which I do more often than color but that too.

Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts