IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the unthinkable happen last weekend on T-Bay when I lost a big fish at the boat when my Duo Lock Snap opened and straightened out. I was dumbfounded when my rod popped up with only my snap waving in the breeze. Nothing like looking a big fish in the eye and then having him swim free away with your spinner lodged tight in his jaw. :wave:

As someone that’s fastidious about gear, I was pretty disappointed to lose a bright T-bay Chinook to gear failure. Has anyone else had this happen? Although it was probably a freak incident, for peace of mind I plan to investigate another designs and makers of snaps. I’d gladly take any suggestions from folks. I still struggle with how it might have happened – was it a flawed snap? Did the line or the fishes teeth somehow pop the snap open? Who knows! The only saving grace and consolation was we had landed a 30+ fish a half hour earlier and at least went back to the dock with one in the box.
Chris

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
I had that happen to me with a wobbler...sucks.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, I have not fished your neck of the woods YET, but I have had experiences with duo lock snaps. Let's just say they were not very good. I have gone completely to Sampo CoastLock ball bearing swivels. Never have had a failure with these on kings up to 35lbs (pretty darn good for Lake Michigan) and musky up to 38lbs. Sampo also make the tournament series which is made from stainless steel in either silver or black.

Sorry to hear about the equipment failure. I get pretty disgruntled when it happens to me as well.

Stick some more T-Bay chows.

Chuck

·
Registered
989 Posts
I wont use duo lock snaps on my main line for big fish. I will use them on both sides of a dropper so that I can easily change dropper lengths. duo lock snaps are nice for spinners but I would rather just tie my spinner directly onto the line.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Never had one fail. Even landed a 28lb springer after it was grabbed by a sealion and we were towed downstream over a mile.

Perhaps the crosslock was not engauged.:shrug:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
I always replace the ones on flashers - I have had a couple break before. Break once shame on you, breaks twice shame on me! Just change them out with a quality swivle you buy from the store. Watch out for the bead chains too! :twocents:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I never use one down on the lure end as I think the fish can twist it apart but have not had any failure with them inline around the swivels. But I too prefer the black coast lock swivels(Berkeley I think) at 100# rated.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Ive had one bead chain break, now I inspect every one closely for open crimps on the little balls. I have never seen a duo break though.

·
Registered
683 Posts
What size Duo Lock where you using. I use them for salmon and sturgeon never broke one (knock on wood :smash:). I have pulled in my line a few times and noticed them open a few times, that was due to my senior moments (stupidity) when I was in a hurry to get my lines out. have landed 50# salmon with no issues and 11' sturgeon. I've had 5 of the 6 hooks bend straight on a size 16 Kwik fish with a 43 pound Springer in tillamook bay and still landed the fish and was using Duo lock snaps on Kwik fish (the ones that came with it) But I guess there will always be the 1st time.
Sorry to hear of your lose, it sucks to lose any fish due to terminal gear.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have had them pull out and break on sturgeon, but I was putting the boots on the fish.

I have never had one fail while salmon or steelhead fishing. I have had times when I didn't snap the bottom part of the duo or it came unsnapped.

For a general rule when I sturgeon fish though, I do not use bead chain swivels or duos. Only the Berkly 150lb rated gear. Expensive though!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have switched to Berkley Big Game or McMannon (spelling) snaps ... I keep the Duo locks for use on the sliders, easy to connect on weights but not in-line for lures or flashers.
I myself and pretty dissappointed on a lure, a Mepp's, used it this past week in T-Bay, no luck but left it hanging on a holder in the boat, looked at it today, rusted ! Checked the package, supposedly stainless but obviously not ... am packing up and sending back

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I had the unthinkable happen last weekend on T-Bay when I lost a big fish at the boat when my Duo Lock Snap opened and straightened out.
When running mainline to gear (flasher, dodgers, etc,) I only use the Sampo Coastlocks.

They are the best of the best. Expensive, but well worth it if you are after big fish.

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
One thing I always do when using Duo Locks is, with a pair of needle nose pliers I bend the lock over a little further. This makes them so you have to use pliers to hook/unhook them but I have never had one come open before.

Also, when fishing spinners I always just tie my leader straight to the spinner.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Duo-Locks have never failed me ! :bowdown:
62# Chinook, 28# Steelhead.
There is a way to make sure they won't open !!!
On ANY plug, make sure that the closure part of the snap is facing UP !!!! :twocents:
If not, during the fight, the up-turned part that is the closure can get hung up on the bill of the plug and come open.
Take a look at how they come on a factory packaged Kwik or Hot Shot. There is a reason they are set up that way.
Kwikfish, Flat-fish, Warts, Hot Shots, Tads, Tots, Mud Bugs, et al, can all pop open the duo-lock if the snap closure is down, instead of up.
Betcha that's what happened here and what a shame to lose a fish that way. :bigshock:
40 + years of plugging teaches you a few things.
Just like any other part of your gear, there's a right way and a wrong way, and it usually takes 'sperience to figure it all out :idea:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had the unthinkable happen last weekend on T-Bay when I lost a big fish at the boat when my Duo Lock Snap opened and straightened out. I was dumbfounded when my rod popped up with only my snap waving in the breeze. Nothing like looking a big fish in the eye and then having him swim free away with your spinner lodged tight in his jaw. :wave:

As someone that’s fastidious about gear, I was pretty disappointed to lose a bright T-bay Chinook to gear failure. Has anyone else had this happen? Although it was probably a freak incident, for peace of mind I plan to investigate another designs and makers of snaps. I’d gladly take any suggestions from folks. I still struggle with how it might have happened – was it a flawed snap? Did the line or the fishes teeth somehow pop the snap open? Who knows! The only saving grace and consolation was we had landed a 30+ fish a half hour earlier and at least went back to the dock with one in the box.
Chris
had one fail on a steelhead on the cowletz couple of weeks ago---just opened up and straightened out

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
When running mainline to gear (flasher, dodgers, etc,) I only use the Sampo Coastlocks.

They are the best of the best. Expensive, but well worth it if you are after big fish.

I learned the hard way too!:frown:

I buy top quality terminal tackle now. Sampo Coastlock #60 for nooks.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I've never had one fail, but I have failed to lock both sides before. :blush: It is easy to do if your in too much of a rush. When you are squeezing the lock closed the other side can get unlatched. Bummer about loosing that nice fish! :bigshock:

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
I've never had one fail, and I have never used anything but Duo-loc. That being said there is nothing I know of in fishing gear that is 100% perfect! I have straightened out treble hooks on big salmon and pulled the hook eyes out of Kwikfish. Even had one break in half once on the Kenai. Do I stop using Kwikfish?

I've seen guides have nervous breakdowns over a knot failure! Stuff happens!:shrug:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Duo-Locks have never failed me ! :bowdown:
62# Chinook, 28# Steelhead.
There is a way to make sure they won't open !!!
On ANY plug, make sure that the closure part of the snap is facing UP !!!! :twocents:
If not, during the fight, the up-turned part that is the closure can get hung up on the bill of the plug and come open.
Take a look at how they come on a factory packaged Kwik or Hot Shot. There is a reason they are set up that way.
Kwikfish, Flat-fish, Warts, Hot Shots, Tads, Tots, Mud Bugs, et al, can all pop open the duo-lock if the snap closure is down, instead of up.
Betcha that's what happened here and what a shame to lose a fish that way. :bigshock:
40 + years of plugging teaches you a few things.
Just like any other part of your gear, there's a right way and a wrong way, and it usually takes 'sperience to figure it all out :idea:
Excellent advice. In addition to this, if you put a swivel between your hook and the ring on the quick fish the hook will spin so the fish cannot gain leverage and bust the duo or pop the hook.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts