IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has this ever happened to you? Your fishing and out of nowere the fish start to bight,you hook into a small trout around 12 inches and you cut the line on your egg loop while removing the hook from the fish. While quickly tring to get back in the water you tie a polamar knot instead of redoing your leader,and sure enough you drift half way down thinking to yourself [I CANT BE THIS STUIPD]and it happens a steelie takes your sand shimp for a tour of the river and your leader snaps right at the knot
I sure hope I'm not the only one,Please someone else confess!!!!

·
Registered
16,544 Posts
My hands would be shaking so hard I couldn`t tie a knot! Until I screw up a couple more times and settle down. :shocked: :wink: Fishft.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
No way,I put a new leader on if I even think there might be something wrong with it.I carry plenty already tied new corkie and I'm fishing with no worries.Fish are to hard to catch to take any chances with a maybe good leader.
Bob

[ 10-30-2003, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: dawhunt ]

·
Registered
10,838 Posts
No way,I put a new leader on if I even think there might be something wrong with it.I carry plenty already tied new corkie and I'm fishing with no worries.Fish are to hard to catch to take any chances with a maybe good leader.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Right on dawhunt!! My motto is: if in doubt...use another leader or RE-TIE!!

- :dance: jokester

[ 10-30-2003, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: jokester ]

·
Premium Member
14,393 Posts
some days i figure i would have been better off to have tossed a handful of hooks, corkies, swivels and lead into the river and gone home instead of casting for hours.

i was fishing the clack a couple of years ago for silvers. fish on, fish off. at the end of my leader was a single small curl where the line had heated up when i was tying the egg loop.

you're not alone.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Solution for hot line. Put a little spit on it before you pull it tight. Just wet it a little.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I disagree about Pip's I'd much prefer a leader wallet. If you hook a fish and cut the hook off why wouldn't you tie on a new rig/with new leader. You can't retie a egg loop on a attached leader. Use good knots with good leaders and hooks. You won't lose as many that way.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Just learn to tie an ordinary snell for crying out loud!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Steelie Steve, I tie egg loops on the hooks then put them in the leader pack (Pip's) Bad line? Pull a new one out, save the good hook and use it again. :grin:

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Kinda like 20 ducks flying at you all at once. Brain goes to mush. That's why we're out there. Fun isn't it?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ok, now I'm a little confused. I use a snell knot for my bait loops which does not require both ends of the line. What type of know do most people use for their bait setups? Is there something wrong with the snell knot?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Retie all knots after landing a fish when you are using straight mono. If you are using braid with a mono leader. replace the leader. It is just cheap insurance. You can never tell when that next fish is going to be the trophy of a life time.
Rubber Hooks

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I'll confess to being dumb. This summer I was fishing the CR Buoy and we were into a hot bite on our diver/flasher rods but not on my dropper weight/herring rod. I hastily tied up a $10 diver a $12 flasher, mooching rig, perfect cut plug and then excited to get into some fish threw the whole thing overboard before I tied it to my main line. :blush: :hoboy: :sick: Of course by the time I got retied again (minus the time spent netting other peoples fish) the boat had limited but my dad let me reel in the last one on his rod just to make feel better. My dad kept laughing and making fun of me for being an airhead but the joke was on him because I took the diver and flasher out of his tackle box.

[ 10-31-2003, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: Salmon Stryker ]

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Whatuget, a regular snell is different than the egg loop most guys use. The egg loop doesn't cut through the skein as much and it's easier to get the line back through the eye to attach yarn or what not. The snell is easier to tie and you don't need both ends of the leader to do it. Not sure where to look on the internet for tying instructions.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts