IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the article in this mornings paper re. the dwellers in the suburbs in Sherwood upset with duck hunters next door. Last Sunday a friend and I were driving Marine Drive over to Gresham and I commented how duck hunters used to be scattered all along Marine Drive. No more!

Time marches on and it does not look good for the future of hunting.

An unintended spinoff of Measure 37 perhaps? A farmer wants to sell off part of his property for a subdivision and then loses the right to hunt the rest of his land? Think about it!

· Registered
14,726 Posts
Sounds like bad parenting to me. Anybody who grows up without hunting ducks is abused imho.

G

·
They need to get over themselves.. They will not have much luck unless the UGB is moved.. I know someone in that subdivision you are most likely referring to and they are not one of the offended to say the least..

· Registered
1,328 Posts
LOL, It just makes me laugh. These are more than likely the same type of folks complaing about the gun club at Tri-County after they move in next to an existing gun club Or the same type of people who move in next to an airport and complain about the noise.

All of us duck hunters could just start complaining about having to hunt so darn close to all these houses that just keep popping up, hahaha.

" Shoot em with their feet down "
Eric Strand

· Banned
5,336 Posts
I can guarantee you that the only reason they object is the Noise.

If we want to hunt the burbs, we will need to use those long barreled guns that subdue the noise... I have seen ads for them before, apparently they are very effective at noise reduction.....

Perhaps it would be better to hunt the residential areas with quiet guns, rather than not at all.....

Not sure how that could alter my swing through, but I could learn and adapt...

Too bad that the folks out here are getting Kalifornicated for hunting.

· Registered
1,958 Posts
Gah!

I've tried to post to this thread several times. I just can't find the words.

I just can't.

I won't.

I'm not going to.

Geoff

· Registered
665 Posts
I live in Sherwood and an avid duck hunter, I live on the other side of town from the fire arms training facility and hear hi powered wepons fire all the time, I also hear them shooting ducks and geese across the road. I guss my point is everyone in the town of Sherwood can hear the training facility so maybe the whole town needs to move, OH I forgot, those are police officers training, well I guess thats all right, but those hunters got to go. Dont make sence do it. Ignorant people who move into a town and try to change things. Is this right? I don,t think so.

· Registered
2,652 Posts
They need to get over themselves.. They will not have much luck unless the UGB is moved.. I know someone in that subdivision you are most likely referring to and they are not one of the offended to say the least..
I second this quote, and all I here from the person calling is "Did you go Duck hunting this morning? I heard you guys shooting at about 7:00" no complaints though i'm told its a muffled boom. They live right on top of a certain marshy area that holds a duck or two, you can't get much closer than they are or you would be in the blind.

Daryn

· Registered
1,444 Posts
Its going to happen more and more. In the last few seasons we've had the cops come out and talk to us 4 times. The funniest was the woman who called the staters and said we were trespassing and poaching deer. The State cop came out into the field and said, "Well I can see you're not poaching deer." I guess the woman from the City didn't know a decoy from a real goose. She didn't own the land we had permission to hunt on.

· Registered
16,924 Posts
Its going to happen more and more.. .
Yup, and in more places considered sacred by waterfowlers...like Sauvie Island.

10% of the Multnomah County private land on Sauvie Island has had Measure 37 development claims filed on it. I don't know how much has been filed on the properties of S.I. that are located in Columbia County.

The impacts are twofold:

First, some of the M-37 claim properties are now used for hunting. Of course that will end when once they're developed.

Then those developments will impact and reduce the hunting potential on surrounding acreage.

Here's some of the biggest claims:

Claims by Jack Fazio, Gerald Egger and Frevach Land Company are the most significant:

- Fazio – divide 448 acres to create 12 five-acre parcels and construct new dwellings on 10 of the parcels.

- Egger – one claim to subdivide 208 acres into 31 lots and one claim for a five-lot subdivision, residential development and boat moorage on 94 acres.

- Frevach – develop a waterfront resort with 73-timeshare condos, recreational and waterfront amenities.

· Registered
1,861 Posts
I read the article in this mornings paper re. the dwellers in the suburbs in Sherwood upset with duck hunters next door.

Part of the complaint in Sherwood was valid. The guys doing the shooting were not what I would call Waterfowlers. They had their blinds facing right at the houses and would shoot at anything within 60 yds of the blind. I am quite sure that they peppered some of the houses with shot.

Before these guys showed up we never had any problems.

Ok, I'm still just mad because the refuge bought my lease.

JB

· Registered
14,712 Posts
Uhm,

I believe state law makes it illegal to dischage any gun within (I think) 300' of any building.

If they did what you are saying they could just be written a ticket.

A 300' buffer should take care of it. And a little common sense...on both sides.

· Banned
2,641 Posts
yeah..this is a tough one. unfortunately, the people opposed to the gunfire at sunup are probably going to win this one in the long run.

it would be good if the people that hunted out that way could find a way to co-exist with the people that moved in.

· Registered
2,652 Posts
I read the article in this mornings paper re. the dwellers in the suburbs in Sherwood upset with duck hunters next door.

Part of the complaint in Sherwood was valid. The guys doing the shooting were not what I would call Waterfowlers. They had their blinds facing right at the houses and would shoot at anything within 60 yds of the blind. I am quite sure that they peppered some of the houses with shot.

Before these guys showed up we never had any problems.

Ok, I'm still just mad because the refuge bought my lease.

JB
Jason,

Do you think we could get enough Ifishers to gather up $750,000 :passout: to get it back before the deal closes? :laugh:

Daryn

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.