IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been hunting with Walkers noise canceling over the ear muffs for a couple of years and am tired of dealing with them.

It is time to invest in a good quality set of in ear protectors.

I am reading all the things online, but was curious if anyone here has any thoughts/opinions on them versus over ear muffs?

Thanks!

Tag

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Did you see these yet? Owin had them on his show couple months back. He duck hunted with them last year and seemed to like them. Noise suppression and amplification so you can have a conversation or hear birds. You can also take a phone call with them. Looked sweet to me. Think I will order a pair...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
What do you want to spend? They get expensive quick! I'm going to my audiologist next week to discuss some options, I already have bad hearing and need to protect it better. Here are a few options but they are $$$.

What is your hearing worth????

·
Registered
608 Posts
You can spend a lot or a little. SportEar are one of the gold standards at north of $1,900 and Westone makes some high end ones for $1,300. Like you, I owned a pair of fancy Walker muffs but they affected my shooting, always bashing into the gun stock -- then the left ear shorted out after the second season. Nowadays, I just use a pair of Sonic Defenders; they cost peanuts and your wallet isn't hurt if they fall in the swamp. Hearing protection always sucks one way or the other -- it's just more pleasant not to have something jammed in your ear.

But it's good to be able to hear my daughter whisper "g'night daddy, I love ya" before she goes to bed.

Hunting waterfowl is already frustrating enough. Those ducks have stolen my money, my sanity and my time. They're not gonna get what's left of my hearing.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really have no budget...I am 51...have several friends with tinnitus and it looks miserable.

If I need to spend a couple grand...great...if I can get the same for a grand...great...if I can get the same for $500...great.

The Tetra ones look interesting.

I hadn't seen the ESPs...would really like them with rechargeable batteries and not using hearing aid batteries.

The walker ones look too cumbersome...I really want them as just ear buds without a connecting cable.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
My Walker's are arriving tomorrow. My plan is to take them to the gun club Sat afternoon and let my kid shoot his 20ga. I'll share the verdict afterwards.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought the Tetra's a few months back, but have not hunted with them yet. You can hear yourself talk, call, etc., as it amplifies the low sounds and suppresses the "unsafe" sounds. Will report back after I use them in the next coming weekends.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Another new Tetra Alpha-Shield owner hear(!). Will test them at the eastside opener this weekend. They are not idiot proof, require some careful handling, but once they are powered up and inserted they seem great. I'm excited to put them to use. Paid for them with my HSA funds.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What do you want to spend? They get expensive quick! I'm going to my audiologist next week to discuss some options, I already have bad hearing and need to protect it better. Here are a few options but they are $$$.

What is your hearing worth????

Any idea yet if insurance covers anything. I assume not...

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I bought the Tetra's a few months back, but have not hunted with them yet. You can hear yourself talk, call, etc., as it amplifies the low sounds and suppresses the "unsafe" sounds. Will report back after I use them in the next coming weekends.
Another new Tetra Alpha-Shield owner hear(!). Will test them at the eastside opener this weekend. They are not idiot proof, require some careful handling, but once they are powered up and inserted they seem great. I'm excited to put them to use. Paid for them with my HSA funds.
60 or 90? Site says 90 has wind noise cancelation, 60 does not. $300 difference.

Ordered 3m Peltor EEP-100 today. When order confirmation said 'pending', I called and they said 8-10 weeks (which of course we all know means maybe never). He apologized for the lack of transparency and now I get to wait up to a week for a refund. Called another vendor that claims to have them... nope, on backorder. Lesson learned... will always call and talk to someone before ordering.

Not seeing them on Amazon... though they do suggest as an alternative some jojoba oil and a 50 piece ear gauge kit.

·
Registered
17,264 Posts
Joeer77,

Did you find any better pricing than on amazon?

Did you see these yet? Owin had them on his show couple months back. He duck hunted with them last year and seemed to like them. Noise suppression and amplification so you can have a conversation or hear birds. You can also take a phone call with them. Looked sweet to me. Think I will order a pair...

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Amazon smoked everyone on price. My wife works there so we get another 10% off and 5% back on the Amazon credit card.

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Got the blue tooth paired to my phone. Audio quality excellent for my Dire Straits Sultans of Swing test. Phone call test passed no problems.

I set the microphone to these settings and can have a clear conversation with the wife. The white noise does increase with amplification. With mic off (0%) it is like wearing foam plugs.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've been struggling to find some options too, I found a pair of non-electric Safariland passive earpro. They say they have 13db passive ear protection and 33db peak noise reduction. I've tried them and they seem to work OK, I can hear the snap of a clay going into my hand thrower so only time will tell if I can hear wings flying come duck season. Best part is they are relatively inexpensive at under $20.

·
Registered
47 Posts
60 or 90? Site says 90 has wind noise cancelation, 60 does not. $300 difference.

Ordered 3m Peltor EEP-100 today. When order confirmation said 'pending', I called and they said 8-10 weeks (which of course we all know means maybe never). He apologized for the lack of transparency and now I get to wait up to a week for a refund. Called another vendor that claims to have them... nope, on backorder. Lesson learned... will always call and talk to someone before ordering.

Not seeing them on Amazon... though they do suggest as an alternative some jojoba oil and a 50 piece ear gauge kit.
I ordered the 60's. Their site said both work well in the wind, but the 90 takes it further. I'll find out soon how they perform in the wind and will let you know.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts