IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lilelk,

Two engines are less fuel efficient and more weight. Typically, you see dual engine installations on the larger glass boats, 25 feet and up, and even more typically on the ocean going big center consoles.

There's a speed issue, they are rated for more than a single engine can provide.

There is also the get home issue, typically the boat can plane on one engine.

And then there's trolling.

With most sleds, the trolling and backup are via a small kicker. Unless you have a center console setup, trying to manuever at trolling speed in a crowd or with a fish on is hard to do.

If you just outside the inlet, a small kicker is OK to get you back in.

Also, most sleds have a jet option so can do the very shallow water.

Having said all that, I'm a twin fan (East Coast ocean going center console background) and have been looking at going to twin prop boat vs my jet. In my case, mostly for fuel efficiency and to get a deeper V (20+ at the transom). I don't use the boat in the shallows much.

Brion

·
Registered
9,047 Posts
The mail boat jets on the Rogue have 3 inboards, but the jets are above the bottom of the boat.

My guess is that you want to minimize the amount of the jet shoes under the water and the additional jet pumps would add more exposure to damage and more cost with minimal gain. You'd lose protection from the V in the same way you do with dual outboards or outdrives. Turning maneuvers to lift the shoe out of the water in shallow water would be impossible since you'd put the second shoe deeper in the water.

·
Registered
769 Posts
$$$MONEY$$$

That could be one major issue. If your boat is big enough a couple of 45's is probably NOT enough for really fast water. Plus the weight thing. If your just chugging up and down the Willamette and Columbia Rivers, it may work out just fine. If you're getting a 20' sled, or so, you'll want a "Get There Quick" 150 h.p. pump, or more. That's still a lot of bucks. Then, with a 8-15 h.p. "Kicker" the "Silence is Golden" when trolling around rule is a good one to follow...Less vibration too. :whazzup: Heck, I don't know what you should do either because EVERYONE is different and so are their needs! I'm a Horsepower freak (I have a Merc 225 h.p. "Prop" on my 21' Duckworth with a 15 h.p. 4-Stroke "Kicker") I did know of a guy with a 19" Alumaweld Semi-V who mounted twin Honda 50 4-Stroke Pumps on his boat. A friend of mine knew him well and fished on that particular boat quite a few times on lakes AND at Buoy 10. He said when they trolled on a lake with one 50 running, they dropped a couple of sea anchors and it was quiet and quite fuel efficient...Plus, they caught fish! Same thing at Buoy 10, except no sea anchors because they needed a bit more speed.

Good luck in your decision! Let us know what you end up with! :shrug:

PL Ken
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
lilelk,

If the sled you're looking at has a windshield/canvas, there are several products that allow you to attach your kicker to the big motor so you can steer from the helm and don't have to sit in the rain or cold to steer your boat.

And then there's the ultimate, TR-1 autopilot. Very cool, but pricey...

Good luck with it..... Tim :smile:

·
Registered
80 Posts
More details - I am kind of looking at two twin outboards on some like a alumaweld intruder or duckworth that has mounting bracking to move engines further back.

14-18 degree bottom. 18-20 foot boat. Once an engine went out at B10 and the other engine brought me in slow but just fine -loved duals then.

Two prop's on my existing 19 fiberglass gets four people up on step just fine - just can't go as fast as others with one big engine, but then I am never in a race for speed. Thanks for the input so far.

·
Registered
480 Posts
A while back I saw a 24' Willie Asaltor with twin 175 Sportjets and a 9.9 kicker with the TR1 autopilot for sale. That was a sweet boat.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Get at least 150hp if not 200hp on a 20' boat. You won't regret it.

:grin: I have never understood why people recommend getting an underpowered boat. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I have seen what i think are bioligists that launch at Beaver (ammo dock) with twin merc pumps. Boy does it sound good. But they rev them to max rpm to load on trailer, and not just for second either its like 10-20 seconds. Its obvious they dont own the boat. State owned?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am looking at getting a new sled. My old fiberglass boat has two 25HP engines and I love the setup. The two props get me anywhere I want to go fast enough and then I can troll to at any speed with one engine. Works especially great at B10. I am always in control at the steering wheel.

Why don't I see any sleds with this kind of setup?? Is it a weight or balance issue? It seems funny to me that I would spend 20-30 grand on a boat that has a steering wheel and spent my time in the back of the boat trolling with a small trolling motor. (esp. if it is raining,cold, etc.)

Would like dual 35Hp four strokes. Any thoughts??

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,310 Posts
Single motor with a kicker for economy. Twins for versatility and piece of mind. Just make sure that one engine is enough if you can't use both. I'm a twin-motor fan. Prop or pump.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Years ago...late 70's early 80's, I can recall seeing a fair number of the old Valco sleds with two motors....but I believe it was a reliability issue back then, which in turn means safety. Now , with the horse power choices, for mid size boats anyway, plus the increased reliability of todays motors, its more of a rare sighting on sleds. Off shore boats...common. Unless a boat was big enough to handle two 150's, I'd have to go with a single and a kicker. I am curious how the 225 four stroke runs a 22ftr tho. Russ

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
lilelk,
I like your idea. I'm a twin motor guy all the way. Been in a few situations that would not have turned out as good if I hadn't had two motors.
As STG said, versatility and peace of mind are where its at, for me anyway. And that does not always come as the least expensive in the short run.
A larger single-running motor to troll with is just fine with mods such as sea anchors, thrust plate, bucket-on-a-rope if absolutely needed, which by the way isn't very often with my dual 45HP OBs or my dual V6 I/O dual-prop boat.
Both my boats have twins and it would take some convincing to change my mind. :smile:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts