IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys.... I have 2 TUNA trips under my belt this year (50 dead TUNA!! :smash: ) and I know based off last year's trend, the fish will be moving more towards the live bait and I am pumped! I recall a thread a few weeks back saying that they were dropping iron after the hook up with success.... my question is, what kind of "iron" are we talking about? I want to add some to my arsenal for this weekend but I don't want to throw money at the wrong gear.

As always, many thanks gentlemen!!! :cheers:

Anthony
28' Albin "MadMoney" out of Ilwaco

· Registered
1,441 Posts
"Iron" means basically any of the metal or lead type jigging spoons. I've used many different brands and have'nt noticed a whole lot of difference in performance. Different weights would be in order from say 2 oz to 8 oz.

Also, I've had great success just dropping ling cod jigs. 4 to 8 oz leadheads with 7" swimbait bodies.

2,729 Posts
Anthony,

I have had some pretty good luck with Tady's and I think fisherman's has them.

I like them because they are a little heavier and sink pretty fast.

We always try and throw one or two over the side when we get a double or triple.

Just let them sink for two minutes and then real up fast, but not superfast and hold on.

They hit hard and fight hard when you get them on iron.

Mike

· Registered
296 Posts
Dropping Iron is my favorite way to catch tuna. All of the lures mentioed above will work. I have had my best luck with Megabaits this year. Drop them down after a jig stop for a minute or two then crank them in and hold on.

Tady

· Registered
176 Posts
Anthony,

I have had some pretty good luck with Tady's and I think fisherman's has them.

I like them because they are a little heavier and sink pretty fast.

We always try and throw one or two over the side when we get a double or triple.

Just let them sink for two minutes and then real up fast, but not superfast and hold on.

They hit hard and fight hard when you get them on iron.

Mike

Question Mike, do you let them free spool straight down for two minutes? That puts them down real deep, but I suppose that is the idea. I've tried it a couple times but I'm sure I only let them drop for about 10 Secs, not 120 Secs. Maybe that's why I haven't seen as much action on them. Hmmm.

· Registered
Saltwater
3,666 Posts
Hey Roost,

Yes, let them go down to 150ft or more and then just jig up, reeling part way.. then stoppin. Reel another 25 ft and stop.
Learned this technique from Tuna Tom. Great way, and has hooked me up with fish many times :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.