IFish Fishing Forum banner

Driftboat Question

676 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Steelhead Hound 
#1 ·
OK, I know this is ridiculous, but I need to ask for opinions. For drift boating smaller rivers (e.g., Sandy, Clack, Deschutes, etc.) what is the recommended length of anchor rope to cary. All I know at this point is that 300 feet is too much and 25 feet is not enough. What do most of you driftboaters use?

Thanks in advance,

ORS

[ 10-15-2003, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: OregonRedside ]

#3 ·
Probably pretty close to 70 feet for the Clack and Sandy for my 35# anchor by the time it goes through all the pulleys and out the back .

I also carry another 100' under the seats for emergencies like lost ancors(that never happens :rolleyes: ) or having to rope the boat thru a few low spots.

Good luck,
Chris :cool:

#5 ·
35 feet...with another 100 in the seat box (most often used for lining the fish ladder at Rainie Falls) The rope is off a jam cleat and pulley at the transom. If I were using a pulley system pulled from the rowing seat I would go with 50 feet.

[ 10-15-2003, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Grantspastor ]

#6 ·
I would recommend 45 to 50 feet if you have your jam cleat in front of the rowers seat. I have never needed more than 50 feet and if I had more it could get in the way. This is also what Phil Lange of Lange Productions (makers of Dierks anchor systems) recommends. To make it easier to pull; use a rope as thick as possible that will still hold in the cleat.
Best Fishes

#7 ·
I think possible the best thought to consider is to carry two anchors. One for small rivers, such as wilson, trask,30# with 1/2" limp, 50'-75'rope. I like smaller rocking chair& ball assembly, for my big anchor, with 350'of 1/2" limp rope. One thing that helps me is to use a 5 gal. paint bucket for the 350'. it never tangles on me. Common since always prevails,and stay away from bouy 10.
Tight lines, Buckshot :smile:

#9 ·
For running rivers, I like a 40# anchor. If you have a need to use, probably won't slide. I use a pulley attached to my anchor with the rope connected back to the release arm. 3/8" is fine, slides through the pulleys easier and costs less. I also like a very long rope. I have a saying, cut it twice and it's still too short.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.