IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Ichthyomaniac
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lavro and a 14' skiff with a 15hp in my fishing arsenal. I have been thinking I would like to upgrade the skiff to a bigger heavy gauge alum boat, but the budget outlook and the advice of nonfishing butters-in argue that to do so I would have to sell the drifter as well.

So I ask you: If you were limited to one or the other, what would you choose? I am not so much looking for advice, but rather to know what you prefer based on your type/locations of fishing, aesthetic tastes, "cause thats what dad had" kind of reasons, etc.

BTW, I am new to the school of fry, and happy to be (virtually) among others who are fascinated by any activity involving pursuit of fish with a hook and line.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Ifishers are probably tired of hearing this, but since you are new I'll repeat it. I've had drift boats, rafts of all descriptions, catarafts, rowboats, little sleds, big bazooba boats (jet and prop), etc. For me and my kind of fishing (small waters, the Columbia bars, etc.) a small sled is the answer. Currently that is a 16 ft Grumman jon boat with a Merc 30 jet and a trolling motor. Cheap, utilitarian, practical. I pull it with a little weenie Nissan 4 X 4, so I save on that cost too.

It all depends on your favorite fishing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
wow tuff question. hope someone with more knowledge than myself anwsers your question, welcome aboard. :wink:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Just the delima I have encountered..... For me it was an easy answer... why have skiff if you have a drifter w\a kicker. :tongue: You can troll the willy, bays, crab and even boondoge the clack. Guides on the Santiam use DB with kickers! Not really suited for use on the columbia. I like the db the best because of the Nature thing. In my opinion pumpin the oars for fish, or pitch'n bait beats trolling the big rivers any day, and in some rivers you can't Skiff'em, just drift'em.
Works for ME

·
Registered
135 Posts
man i saw the ultimate skinny water boat i thinks on the northriver boat site, 17' flat bottom with strakes and chines and your choice of outboard jets.naturally they claim it will run 3" of water :bowdown:

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I have a drift boat and a jet boat. if I could only have one if would be the drifter with a kicker motor on it. There is only 1 spot on the Rogue I can get my jet but not my driftboat too, and its only good for springers. I will run my drift boat in water I won't take the jet in though. I do better steelhead fishing (side drifting) in the drifter. With the kicker motor on the drift boat I can fish the bays and lakes with it. The jet is nice, but really the only thing it changes for me is eliminating the shuttle rig, and I can get around faster. I tend to use the drift boat more for steelhead and the jet more for salmon. Both boats have their advantages and disadvantages, but if I could only have one, it would be the drifter.

RF

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
A drifter with a solid four stroke kicker is probably the cheapest fishing date you can get. How many boats can you go fishing in all day and only spend money on bait and food?

JMO,
D.

·
Premium Member
14,394 Posts
i'll second drhall's recommendation on the four stroke only if your drifter has a motor well. hang a four stroke off the transom of a drifter and the nose will point in the air before you even start the motor. without the motor well you'll have to go with a two stroke. i'd also recommend throwing in an electric troller while you're at it. that'll help cover the electric only lakes as well as helping out on the backtrolling on the rivers.

you can't get more "all purpose" than a drifter.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I would consider time spent fishing as well as the other factors. And the time with the rig jockey-ing and what-not. A jet will be faster to get you to fishing, and if the weather becomes unfavorable (it never happens to me either :wink: )you can bail out at a high rate of speed. Whatever you decide ther will be times when you question your decision, so you have to think about where you currently fish, and where you think you may want to fish as well.........

·
Registered
803 Posts
RK, match your outfits to your favorite water/techniques. They don't make a good all around boat that will do it all. That's why I told my wife that I needed five, "just to kinda get by".....

G

·
How much and how many places will/you can you use the drift boat versus how much and how many places will/you can you use the power boat + how much do you fish overall = the easy answer if you can only have one. :smile:

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I'll go with the open (Bazooba) boat and catch fish. Love my row boat (sometimes known as a drift boat) but the shallow (6 degree) vee sled is my choice.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I have to disagree with Ampersat (nothing personal) because I have a Willie 16X54 guide model with a 15 horse 4stroke and it is great. I can zip across the lake/bay and then troll to my hearts content. My motor is equipped with one of those Dolphin attachments that keeps the nose down. Works awesome. I have to use a sea anchor while trolling to go really slow but when its time to anchor my sea anchor is already in use. Works for me. My problem is that I want a sled too. Bigger fun.....I don't ever want to give up my drifter though. Just grew up fishing in them. Bought one, it's paid for. What's the sense in selling it? :grin:

Good luck,

Mark

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
I couldn't live without a drift boat. I don't want to live without my sled. But I didn't have a sled for ten years.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I have a 16X54 Willie (no motor well) and I compensated for the added weight of the four stroke 9.9 hp by using a three gallon gas tank. I gain space in the boat and the four stroke is so much more efficient that I only use about a gallon after 8 hours of trolling. I haven't tried the dolphins yet, but I'm going to. Either way, two stroke or four stroke, drifters have to be the most versatile of all the boats and they hold their value better than any used boat out there.
When the time comes and I want to get a sled, I still won't sell the drift boat. It's the cheapest to keep, it doesn't eat much, and I can fish it almost anywhere.

JMO
D.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I traded-in a nice drift boat when I bought my jet. I regret the move and wouldn't do it again. I think a person who fishes alot needs both.

When I can, I will build or buy a 10' or 11' drift boat that will fit in the back of the p/u.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Something else to consider is the ammount of time you can spend on the water. I have two kids, so usually I get to fish for a couple hours here and a couple hours there (Sat./Sun. 6AM - 9AM, before everyone gets up and moving). A sled is the only way I can get on and off the water and still have time to fish more than one strech of water. Also, I tend to fish alot on the spur of the moment, when it's just me out there. If I had a drifter, I'd have to pay for a shuttle service everytime, or fish just the water in front of the ramp. Than again, there is a lot of water that I can't fish when I want to because my sled can't/won't :shocked: go there. I guess it comes down to how do you fish? Do you always plan your trips or is everything last minute?

Good luck,
Trent

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
For the next couple of months I have the use of a 17' sled and my 16' Willie drift boat. If I had to choose which one to keep, It would be the drift boat with my kicker. I can use the drifter almost anywhere I can use the sled.

·
Registered
769 Posts
:whazzup: There is no perfect boat, PERIOD! That is why my "Last" boat is my 18th boat!!! I tell my wife it's the last boat I'll ever get. It's a 21+' Duck and very comfy. For one "gimped" up guy, like me, it's not as much fun to put in alone, but can be done if the weather, current, and wind are right! Now, if I'm anchored and "The Big Juan" hits my stuff, It' s real hard to drop anchor and go "Salmon Chasin'!" So, even though this is my "Last" boat, I'm looking for a "Second" boat, call it a "Spare," that is small, compact, wide and beemy, easy to launch, easy to haul, can work on the Willamette, Columbia, inlets, bays and even the ocean on calm days, lakes and, well, EVERYWHERE!!!
Something I can hook up "Quick" and take down to the river and unload and load in just a few minutes. Something I don't have to polish (I want to buy a "Straight" but older used one!!!)
My "spare" boat, I'm pretty sure, is going to be a 17'-18' drift boat with probably a 9.9 4-Stroke Kicker to push me around. Yeah, that's it..."That 'Spare' Boat" will be my "Last Boat!" Honest Honey!!! Yeah, that's the ticket!!! :laugh: A 'Spare' boat!

PL Ken
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
The answer is simple...buy what you want and trade in who ever the "nonfishing butters-in" :grin: :tongue:

Like I tell my wife, she is lucky. I have many rods, boats, motors and I trade them around all the time.

I only have one wife and I kept her around for coming up on 30 years... :smile:

You have to do what is best for you and your family and your pocketbook. No one can tell you the answer.

You have to decide what you like to do. If difting rivers is important than you have to go with a drift boat as it will go most everywhere with either oars and a small motor. You will be limited if you want to make long runs and there are no places to slide the boat in. Otherwise, if the water is too rough for the db, it is probably too rough to fish anyway.

The other boat you may consider with the db is a 13' inflatable. You can use the db trailer and the motor from the db. Check the sunday papers for a deal.

Giz...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts