IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to do it, but im retiring my old 14ft Lavro drifter.My 19yr old son needs his first boat, Anyway im in the market for a 16ft newer aluminum, either alumiweld or willies? can anyone give me their opinion on either one of the boats? difference, quality, rowing and handling? Any opinions or comments will be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
This is just my opinion but everyone seems to compare their boats to either Willie or Clackacraft driftboats. Why compare when you could own the best?

D.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
clackacraft :cheers:

[ 06-15-2003, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Quick Fisher ]

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I recently bought my first drift boat, a 5 year old Alumaweld 16' Pro Guide model. It's a great boat. I took my first drift in it yesterday and it rows and handles great. The person who went with me owns a 16' Clackacraft and he likes it a lot, but says his next boat will be aluminum. If I had to do it all over again, I'd still get the aluminum. I've been in several Clackacrafts and do agree that they are a nice boat, I guess it's a matter of personal preference. Look at Fishrite aluminum drifters as well as North River, they are both very nice boats too.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I've owned lots of different driftboats and Willie's are the way to go. No matter what you get, they are all great boats. Fishrite makes a killer boat too. The only thing I don't like about most driftboats is the slanted floors. If you driftfish or cast, flat floors are a must.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Clackacraft's are sweet too :cool:

[ 06-15-2003, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Green Pirate ]

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
This topic runs about 50/50 fiberglass or aluminum. The guys who have one type of boat use them on rivers that are best suited to their boat for the most part so if course they recommend them.
If I am running big hairy water I prefer the metal boat. Clackas are a little faster but I hate the way they slop through big waves, the metal boat punches through them.
On the other side of the debate a fiberglass boat in small water where you are sliding over shallows with that sweet flexible bottom then they are the ticket.
Get the boat that suits your needs.

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Fiberglass in the summer in skinny water. Aluminum everywhere else.

The oarsman is more important than the sticker on the side.

This is a popular topic. But the equipment is a lot less important than folks give it credit for. Don't tell the marketing folks this. They would have a heart attack.

Mark and the tired smelt eating dpg.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the replys, ilove my glass boat but i would like a newer drifter with very little upkeep, that handles well and plugs good to. i have a friend that just bought a 1998 16ft clackacraft,it rows fair but is a bear to stop when you need to fast, it is not a tunnle hull, and not much storage under the bow but a nice boat, Does the willies stop and plug good? and they also look like there would be very little upkeep, drhall, what size and model is your willies? fishin62

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Since I own a Willie I should say Willie's are the best but, Im not. Willie, Fishrite, Alumaweld and Koffler all build great boats. Ive rowed about every make and length of driftboat made. Some row better then others. But most aluminum boats row about the same. Its all in how they are balanced. Though Willie boats pivot faster than other makes. Willies dont track as straight as other boats with less rocker in the bottom.

The best thing to do is try and hook up with some other ifshers who own boats and go row a couple different boats.

If you plan on buying new I would look at a 17x54 Willie, Thats gonna be my next boat.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've rowed a few different boats, and own an Alumaweld 16x54. They are all good, yet each has its little particulars. It depends to some degree how you fish. The Willie pivots a little faster, but my not track quite as steady (we're talking small differences here, not big). The Willie seems to be able to hold in faster moving water than Alumaweld if you are running kwikfish in fast water for springers and putting everything you've got into it to not slip downstream. (Put simply, the Willie feels a smidge lighter to the guy on the sticks.)
If you side-drift or anchor and driftfish rather than pull plugs, I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference btween the two.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I've owned Alumawelds for 30 years. I have also rowed all the other boats made. I can't tell the difference in the Willie and Alumaweld. Both are great boats. I don't like a lot of maintenance and I want my boat to last a long time, thats why I bought an Alumaweld.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I know it's not a alumaweld or willies but check out Fishcraft. 17x54 diamond plate floor,4 pulley side anchor, raised rowers seat, uhmw oar locks w/springs, diamond plate transom and nose piece, front storage, storage under front seats, side trays, gunnel guards, fishbox, and sawyer composite oars, powder coated inside and paint baked on also for under $4500. Try to find a willies or alum with all of those options for that price.
My dad and I got a fishcraft right before spring and don't regret staying away from the name game one bit.
just my .02
Later Geoff

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Geoff, i was just on there web site, sweet boats good price, how do the row? plug, side drift? the price you listed is about what im looking at spending. no more. does anyone else have any opinion on the fishcraft? or time rowing one?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have been research and looking at all types of DB's. I have found the one that I am going to get within the next 6-7 months.

Smithrock Drifboat. I will give him praise at this point. He has one heck of a nice boat with a raise diamond plate floor. The cost is right also. Looking around $4500 for a very nice equiped boat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts