IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on my first drift this weekend and had a blast. Now im thinking about one myself. Portability is the key, like launching out of my truck bed size(2 person) What are the opinions of the fiberglass Hyde 11 foot boats?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Fisherdan,

I'm a little spooked by reports/rumors of separation in the layers on the Hyde boats, but I have never owned one. I was looking at buying a Clackacraft and liked the construction. I also liked that they are a local manufacturer (Clackamas, of course). The only thing that stopped me from buying a Clack was that I was offered a great deal on a Willie by a friend of mine.

D.

·
Registered
393 Posts
fisherdan..My opinion from seeing the 11 ft DB on their website is that you will be eventually disappointed. I own a 16ft fiberglass DB and would not want to imagine cutting it down by 5ft!! If anything... I would like a larger DB eventhough I usually fish by myself. Ya need room for all your rods, cooler, you name it but you always wish you had more space.
Sure it would be great not to pull a trailered boat but in the long run it is the only good option. More room from a larger boat as well as the stability on the river. I didn't like the bow being cut and this may cause problems negotiating rapids. The guy in front is gonna get wet(I think?)when hitting a good one.
Don't think of something you slide out the back of your PU ...is the easiest method. That sounds like more work to me. I do it alone all the time and it is a piece of cake. You won't regret the extra space in the boat and you can attach an 8 hp motor for lakes and tidewater. You are truely limiting yourself on an 11ft boat.
Just my opinion of course!

[ 05-13-2003, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: Sliderite ]

·
Premium Member
14,394 Posts
i'll back sliderite's opinion: even a 16' drifter (14'8" centerline) seems really small when just one frontseater, three rods apiece and associated gear get thrown in the boat. also, stability is definitely an issue. trailering is a snap compared to heaving an 11' boat into the bed of your pickup.

one piece of wisdom i gleaned from ifish long ago goes like this: take the size of boat you think you want and add 2' to 3' to it. if you're set on an 11' boat, be prepared for the limitations in the amount of gear you can carry and the kind of water you can take on.

i haven't heard anything in my years on ifish about problems with hyde construction.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I had a little bathtub sized drift boat, it was called a 14' but it was much smaller...Now I have a 16' clacka.. it measures 16' centerline... 54" bottom... with 2 guys 6 rods and the rest of the junk I still could use more room, and I often thought that I could take on smaller waters with the smaller boat.. My big boat sits higher in the water as well.. go BIG

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
If portability is the key, then why not get a pontoon instead. For the $$ a Hyde will cost you, you can have a decked out 10'er that is much easier to carry around. Rows easier than any drifter.

I had a friend with a 11' Clackacraft. 2 guys and gear for a day was a boatload of stuff. If you want what is essentially a 1 man craft, get a pontoon.

Mark and the dog.

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
I'd check with WET_WILLIE on this board. He has a
16' fishrite and the small job he picked up recently. I think he really likes the little one.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input. What is the most common method for boat and trailer retrieval when you are by yourselves? Lets say you make a 5 mile drift, do you have a ride meet you there?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Don't be deterred by a full-sized driftboat on a trailer. It is a cinch to load and unload by yourself, and there are shuttle operations set up on just about every river around here.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I pack my bicycle on the boat with me (17' willie) and bike back to my truck.

the 17' willie rows nice and easy and rides high, great for the shallows.

cb

·
Registered
499 Posts
I run a 17ft Fish Rite. That is a good size for me. I can fish myself and two others very comfortably with all the necessary gear. It's that in between size. A 16 footer seemed too small to me. An 18 footer was way to big. That one foot doesn't sound like much but it is. You will have to look around at a few to understand what I mean. SPACE

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
fisherdan, the shuttle can be done several ways. You can have a buddy bring a car (leave the extra car at the take out area) and you/he or both go back to your put in and grab your vehicle and tralilor. If you use the both method then prepare to leave your boat unatteneded while your on the road. I always feel uneasy about doing it that way but so far so good. If one of you takes the shuttle car and brings the trailor/truck back then of course you have to go back again and pick up the shuttle car once you've trailored the boat. This method leaves someone to tend the boat. That amount of time can be used to fish, ship the oars and generally clean up. Keep an eye on all your gear too. I always feel better doing it that way. It'll cost you that extra 10-20 minutes to reshuttle but unless you feel real safe about leaving your gear unattended....
The cost of hiring a shuttle is usually 10/20 bucks. If you can afford it, it's the way to go. Fish all day and get to the take out and there is your vehicle and trailor. Makes a great day especially if you and a buddy rode to the river togeather. Shoot the bull about the way your going to catch fish on the drive to the river and on the way home talk about why you didn't catch any on the way home.
Another method if you choose is to hitch hike back to pick up you trailor/vehicle. I've done this method with someone staying with the boat and at times by myself, leaving the boat tied up and anchored. A little more stress involved with this method but so far so good.

[ 05-13-2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: cully ]

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Originally posted by cully:
fisherdan, the shuttle can be done several ways. You can have a buddy bring a car ( leave the extra car at the take out ramp area) and you/he or both go back to your put in and grab your vehicle and tralilor. If you use the both method then prepare to leave your boat unatteneded while your on the road. I always feel uneasy about doing it that way but so far so good. If one of you takes the shuttle car and brings the trailor/truck back then of course you have to go back again and pick up the shuttle car once you've trailored the boat. This method leaves someone to tend the boat. That amount of time can be used to fish, ship the oars and generally clean up. Keep an eye on all your gear too. I always feel better doing it that way. It'll cost you that extra 10-20 minutes to reshuttle but unless you feel real safe about leaving your gear unattended....
The cost of hiring a shuttle is usually 10/20 bucks. If you can afford it, it's the way to go. Fish all day and get to the take out and there is your vehicle and trailor. Makes a great day especially if you and a buddy rode to the river togeather. Shoot the bull about the way your going to catch fish on the drive to the river and on the way home talk about why you didn't catch any on the way home.
Another method if you choose is to hitch hike back to pick up you trailor/vehicle. I've done this method with someone staying with the boat and at times by myself, leaving the boat tied up and anchored. A little more stress involved with this method but so far so good.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

·
Registered
603 Posts
Take a look at this

Spoke to two fishermen on the Humptulips last winter about this pontoon boat. They had just floated down to the take-out and were getting ready to leave. They threw one in the back of their small p/u and put the other on top of the first.

They were younger than I and more agile. I asked how they liked this boat and they stopped what they were doing and spent a half hour telling me how great their boats are. I must say that I was impressed by this particular boat. I don't like most of this type because they don't seem very strong. This one does although I've not tried one. :cool:

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Fisherdan,

I spent many years fishing from the bank. When pontoon boats started showing up I went and got one. I just got a 16' Clack(15'10" centerline, 57" bottom). Her are the advantages and disasvantages.
Pontoon Boat: You can lauch it anywhere (no boat ramp required), no trailer required, easy to operate. Disadvantage: no matter how cool the pictures are there is no comparison to fishing out of a drift boat. Spotting fish is next to impossible. No space for gear, friends, ect. You still have a shuttle problem.
Driftboat: Sits high for fishing, floats high for drifting (these boats will go in the same shallow water as a pontoonboat). Plenty of room for gear. The disadvantages are price, storage, and you need a boatramp...oh yeah, backing up a trailer. Keep in mind if you are buy yourself you can put a bike in the back.

What seems like a good idea now may not be what you end up wanting once you know all the options.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Fisherdan,
I've got both, like Neut said. A 16x54 driftboat and now a clackacraft mini drifter (just over 10 feet). It is the perfect 2nd boat but if I had to choose just one I'd probably opt for the larger boat. That being said, this little drifter is pure joy to row around and handles whitewater just fine. Also, you can skirt around stuff that is too hairy easily because it is so small. In my opinion it is a one man boat and fits nicely in the back of my pickup. I can put in in absolutely anywhere, fish solo and pull it out just about anywhere and put it in the back of my truck alone. I don't tend to stand up while anchored in strong current though as it is a little whippy. I take my big boat when I'm fishing with somebody or two somebodies, and my little one when I fish alone and love it. If it were going to be my sole boat, I'd think long and hard first. I fish with others more than I do solo and it just isn't big enough for two guys and gear. Myself, two rods, small tackle bag, net and burplap sack is about all I care to put in it. Hope that helps.
Bill

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Slow and Low,

I agree with everything you said except needing a boat ramp for driftboats. Take a look at these links :dance: .
Creative boat launching 1.0
Creative boat launching 1.1
Creative boat launching 1.2
Creative boat launching 2.0
Creative boat launching 2.1
Creative boat launching 2.2
Creative boat launching 2.3
Creative boat launching 3

This is for the serious drift boater :wink: .
These are from the Clackacraft website, but you can launch this way with almost any good drift boat (Maybe not a good idea for wood).

D.

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
But DrHall99, you might scratch your boat :rolleyes: . Besides those guys at
clackacraft are nuts.

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
That's right Newt! Anyone who would row a glass boat is crazy!

Mark and the metallic dog.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts