IFish Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I've fished it twice bout 8 yrs ago...we got tangled wirh other boat. Everyone was nice. But there were 2 boat guys who were ready to jump on each other boats. Was pretty close to fist fight but didn't happened....so yeah thats why I said no thank you. I never understood why ppl stoop down so low for a meager salmon. I mean its not like you not gonna catch another one ever....try and try and be sensible..it'll happen.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I can make those turns, boats to long to make the swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We call those “toilet bowl turns.” You have to use reverse to make the turn by the bridge piling. It’s kinda fun but nerve-wracking. You also have to learn to control your boat at very low speeds in the wind (sea anchors off the bow help), and how to run 360s at .5mph (Shortbus or Leo’s work better than pro-trolls). Oh, and watch out for the snags right after the bridge turn. Other than that, it’s a piece of cake!

·
Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
1,804 Posts
We call those “toilet bowl turns.” You have to use reverse to make the turn by the bridge piling. It’s kinda fun but nerve-wracking. You also have to learn to control your boat at very low speeds in the wind (sea anchors off the bow help), and how to run 360s at .5mph (Shortbus or Leo’s work better than pro-trolls). Oh, and watch out for the snags right after the bridge turn. Other than that, it’s a piece of cake!

But, can you imagine doing that in a 29’ boat? I don’t even want to try it in my 16’er.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts

I have done it in the past, the new sled is just not built for up there. I don't move like like the flatter bottoms in the wind. I grew up fishing there, but I built the current sled a little different.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I have done it in the past, the new sled is just not built for up there. I don't move like like the flatter bottoms in the wind. I grew up fishing there, but I built the current sled a little different.

I’m with you; my post was somewhat tongue in cheek. I have friends that run it regularly in their 25’ sleds, but I haven’t been there since I upgraded from 18’ to 23’. I know I could do it, but it is a little more stressful than I like. I’m content to ride with my buddies, catch fish, and watch the entertainment.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I’m with you; my post was somewhat tongue in cheek. I have friends that run it regularly in their 25’ sleds, but I haven’t been there since I upgraded from 18’ to 23’. I know I could do it, but it is a little more stressful than I like. I’m content to ride with my buddies, catch fish, and watch the entertainment.

I used to fish it in a 23' the current boat is almost 10' longer. The lake can produce too, or used too anyway.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I'm going to do it. Half because I want to see the show and my buddy is driving his boat. The other half is because I've been out 8 times so far and I still haven't tagged one. I really want to eat a springer.
It was pretty crazy. In between line tangle chaos there was some fishing. The boats are so close together that a line tangle causes a major back up in the merry go round. Everyone behind has to figure out how to negotiate getting around the tangled up people. I'd yell "somebody get a plunger!"

Even when fish were hooked it would cause the same problem. Especially when there was a flurry of 4 or 5 boats. Here is a video I took after the boats thinned out a little. See if you can count how many boats have a fish on at the same time.

I was really impressed with how patient everyone was when someone made a mistake or got tangled. Everyone has swivels on their gear so if the tangle was bad the guy sorting it out would just unclip the rod in the other boat and they could continue trolling. Once the mess was untangled you'd just catch up to the boat and give their gear back. The overall atmosphere was fun with people hooting an hollering when fish were boated. Saw several young kids reel in fish and they felt good when everyone around them would hoot and holler at their success. I'm sure those kids will be fishermen in the future.

I was also really impressed with how well some of these guys can drive a 25ft boat with 7 rods hanging out of it. They always seemed calm and were polite. Some were guides and some weren't.

The most impressive thing was how our boat managed to fish from sunrise to 4pm and not touch a single fish. I went there because I've gone 8 trips on the willy this year and haven't landed a fish. Lost 2 at the boat. I really want to eat a springer so I figured I'd go give it a try since my buddy was driving the boat. I don't know if I could handle the stress of driving a boat there all day. We even had guides telling us exactly what they were using and we had that stuff and used it. Still didn't get touched. My buddy has been tagging fish almost every day there until I showed up. I'm dealing with some pretty bad fishing depression. I saw well over 100 fish caught yesterday and we fished 3 rods without a bite. It'll be a while before I go again. I know I'm not a bad fisherman, I'm just having some terrible luck while putting out the most effort I ever have for springers. I even have both of the blades that something good has been using. Unbelievable.

Anyway, it really is a crazy fishery but if you're not the driver of the boat it's really not stressful. We helped our driver by changing his gear and fixing it when it needed fixing so he was able to focus on driving. He's also an old fart that doesn't give a crap if he makes people mad anyway so that helps I'm sure.

Get on someone else's boat and try it sometime. It's good entertainment even if you don't catch anything.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It was pretty crazy. In between line tangle chaos there was some fishing. The boats are so close together that a line tangle causes a major back up in the merry go round. Everyone behind has to figure out how to negotiate getting around the tangled up people. I'd yell "somebody get a plunger!"

Even when fish were hooked it would cause the same problem. Especially when there was a flurry of 4 or 5 boats. Here is a video I took after the boats thinned out a little. See if you can count how many boats have a fish on at the same time.

I was really impressed with how patient everyone was when someone made a mistake or got tangled. Everyone has swivels on their gear so if the tangle was bad the guy sorting it out would just unclip the rod in the other boat and they could continue trolling. Once the mess was untangled you'd just catch up to the boat and give their gear back. The overall atmosphere was fun with people hooting an hollering when fish were boated. Saw several young kids reel in fish and they felt good when everyone around them would hoot and holler at their success. I'm sure those kids will be fishermen in the future.

I was also really impressed with how well some of these guys can drive a 25ft boat with 7 rods hanging out of it. They always seemed calm and were polite. Some were guides and some weren't.

The most impressive thing was how our boat managed to fish from sunrise to 4pm and not touch a single fish. I went there because I've gone 8 trips on the willy this year and haven't landed a fish. Lost 2 at the boat. I really want to eat a springer so I figured I'd go give it a try since my buddy was driving the boat. I don't know if I could handle the stress of driving a boat there all day. We even had guides telling us exactly what they were using and we had that stuff and used it. Still didn't get touched. My buddy has been tagging fish almost every day there until I showed up. I'm dealing with some pretty bad fishing depression. I saw well over 100 fish caught yesterday and we fished 3 rods without a bite. It'll be a while before I go again. I know I'm not a bad fisherman, I'm just having some terrible luck while putting out the most effort I ever have for springers. I even have both of the blades that something good has been using. Unbelievable.

Anyway, it really is a crazy fishery but if you're not the driver of the boat it's really not stressful. We helped our driver by changing his gear and fixing it when it needed fixing so he was able to focus on driving. He's also an old fart that doesn't give a crap if he makes people mad anyway so that helps I'm sure.

Get on someone else's boat and try it sometime. It's good entertainment even if you don't catch anything.
No thanks .

·
Registered
1,338 Posts

OK That's just crazy.
I'm the guy that bailed yesterday and this morning because I have a bug and didn't want to spread it. (Not Covid). Kevin's a good fisherman and a heck of a catcher. Been waiting for him to quit screwing around up that way so he can jump in my boat and net my fish! LOL Sorry I missed the opportunity to fish with ya r4u and I'm sure I wouldn't have brought any better luck. I'm 5 trys in and 0/1 so don't feel bad. Feeling a little better so may give it a shot tomorrow!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Did they change the date of closing. I was positive that it was open on the 5th and closed the 6th when I looked a few days ago. Wednesday is the only day I could have gone anyways, No fun fighting the crowd and the wind at the same time.

·
Registered
747 Posts

Is one of those boats flying some big sort of vertical Edge Rod?

·
Registered
699 Posts
21 - 40 of 69 Posts