IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I too thought Drano would be the place to be. I started out at midnight friday night trolling a vortex. I had 2 hits, but nothing stuck by 2:00am. Off to bed with visions of a great day dancing in my head......not! The wife and I fished until 1:00 pm saturday and we saw 1 fish hooked, and it turned out to be a sturgeon by the ifish board famous RapidRobert! Fishing was dead as far as we could guage. Bob said it had been ok during the week, but it tapered off on thursday/friday. He said the temp in Drano was within .5 of a degree of the Columbia, so we surmised they were just bailing by, no reason to stop in the "same" water?! I also heard the game wardens were really watching the jiggers/snaggers in the mouth, so I had no desire to try that game. So we aborted, and headed to Astoria and we salvaged the weekend with a bunch of coho action.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We arrived at Drano Lake about 1:00 P.M., Thursday 11 Sept. from Spokane. We began fishing immediately even though the wind was blowing about 20-30 mph. Trolled the lake about 3 hours, one bump on a Pink floresent Vibrex. Went out into the Columbia and tried to anchor, but the wind was too strong for anchor, so anchored by RR trussel. Nothing..... :depressed:
Fished Friday, in wind, finally got anchored...... nothing. Fished Saturday, finally not wind. Late P.M. caught a mature male... about 30 lbs. :dance: Caught it on nordic jig...

All tolled, my partner and I logged about 75 man-hours for 2 fish, a small jack and the one I mentioned earlier. :shrug:

:whazzup: Does anyone have an explanation why the counts were so high of adult chinook over the Bonneville (45K, 45K, and 41K on Thurs, Fri, and Sat. respectfully) and the fishing was so poor at Drano?

It seemed to be slow for other fishermen too.... not many fish caught out in the Columbia....

Thanks

[ 09-15-2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Weeler Dealer ]

·
Registered
26 Posts
I fished Drano all day Saturday and had no success trolling spinners. I didn't even see many fish caught. I am not sure why the counts are so high and the fish caught seem to be so low. :whazzup:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The water temp is the key..when the difference is small between the CR and Drano, they dont stop and linger much at all.

You should note that the counts at the Dalles are strong too...this indicates to me that the fish are motoring on upriver.

HC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts