IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on fishing Drano this weekend, have never been, and have a few general questions. I've read most of the archived posts, so I think I have a decent idea about what techniques and tackle people use there.

I was planning on trolling w/riggers in the afternoon, and then anchoring up for the night show with bobbers and shrimp. I understand that the competition for good spots in the channel starts early. With the numbers of fish over the dam, I expect plenty of company. My question is: if I troll in the afternoon and then anchor up as night approaches, will I risk not getting a decent anchor spot? Planning on putting in around 3:00 and taking out whenever we tire of getting skunked :eek:

I have a 1-year old baby so I don't get to fish that often, and would like to maximize my odds. Any advice about whether I should skip the trolling and just anchor (or vise-versa) greatly appreciated. Any other advice also appreciated.

· Registered
2,731 Posts
I typically have a very positive attitude about Drano, but I've been skunked two days in a row and have tried virtually EVERY method! :passout:

With the water fluctuation I'd personally opt to fish the mouth of the Deschutes or Underwood before dealing with the traffic, weather/wind and low catch rates at Drano.

Of course fish are being caught, but the water level, which changes upward of 4 feet throughout the day, makes things really difficult and honestly it hasn't been solid for really anyone (I know of).

Good luck!

· Registered
2,296 Posts
Fished it last night it is still slow 2 natives and 2 hatchery in 5 hours, the wind was brutal last night and had not slowed down by 2am when I left. rola76 is right on about the water going up and down it has been pretty crazy so far this year and it has an effect on the fish, the grass killer last year did not work to well either. You should be ok finding a spot in the bobber circle right up until dark, it is starting to get crowded on the weekends

· Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, fellas. I'm intrigued by Underwood, but am planning to pull the boat out at night so that's out. Sorry to hear Drano's slow. I'll temper my expectations accordingly (i.e. I'll expect to get REALLY skunked, instead of just skunked).

· Registered
642 Posts
I just wanted to give you a quick story of how my trip went last night. I had fun and I know we would have caught fish if they were in there, but I wanted to give you a quick play-by-play.
- Boat in at 3:00. Had my buddy RJ (aka Spiderman) climb the wall and tied us off.
- 4:00 pm. met some great old timers who brought the Schnaps
- 5:00 no fish/bites
- 6:00 no fish/bites
- 9:00 no fish/bites, ate KFC for dinner
- 12:00 left my line out all night with a shrimp
- 2:00 couldn't sleep because of the two guys snoring (insanely loud) on each side of me, and Rola76 forgot his mouth guard, so it was even louder. I know that he is quite popular on this board, but do not ever go on a night trip with that guy. You will be sorry!!!
- 5:30 Woke up and pulled up rod and the whole shrimp is still on the hook.
Tell you what fellas, We did not even get a take down, but fishing with these 2 clowns are entertainment enough.

· Registered
388 Posts
I have been fishing White salmon for the past 3 weeks Friday & Saturday and the fishing is marginal at best. I have seen a few fish caught and have caught a few myself, but it is still very slow. I would say White Salmon may be the place to be right now for a Tea Party but that is about it. Maybe there are others out there that have been doing much better, but if so, I have not seen them. I am sure there may be some days that are better than others. Sounds like Drano and White Salmon have been far below average so far.

· Registered
2,296 Posts
There are a lot of fish in Drano right now more now then their were 2-3 weeks ago. I blanked 3 trips in a row in July after starting out ok. Monday night could have been good if the wind had calmed down, lots of fish rolling where I was fishing, I missed 4 fish(along w/the 4 I caught) that tried to commit suicide, picked it up and headed the other way,:blush: swing and miss and lots of no bait left on the hook, on very light bites I blame the misses on the wind.:mad::tongue: It will pick up as the month goes along. BPA needs to tone down the water exchange, pretty good curent running when they drop it 2 feet in less then 2 hours:eek: for it to get really hot but we can only hope.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.