IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what`s your "go to rig" for drano at nite? need to worry about anchoring too close to someone else?? or is that a given. what`s the best bait to use? for bobber/or not fishing? can you fish all nite? what size hooks? weight? with sandshrimp do you tie to the shank or stab them? use whole or tail? same goes for shimp? when using eggs how big a gob? Can just weight be used for downrigger type fishing? how big a weight for that and how long a leader to say a #5 blue fox? can just spinners be used? I know to use mag warts for the springers in the day awhile back, but do they work for the steelhead too? and at nite? I do have a couple lighted vortexes but am curious about the plugs....as you can see I know squat! :shrug: sure would appreciate any and all info and any "secrets", these are Q`s about the steelhead but the same questions apply to the fall run chinook??....Thanks :cheers: .

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I only troll at Drano. Blue #5 blue foxes were the ticket last weekend. That's what most boats were using. Put them about 20 feet behind your 'rigger and pick a depth. We caught fish anywhere from 7' to 14' deep. YOu'll see where to troll....but it's in front of the launch "pad" then to the East down to the logs.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
c`mon people!! there`s got to be more help out there?? what ever you have is way more than I have? is there no more than that.... thanks snit I`ll try that but no downrigger, I`ll give it a go with some weight. I looked in the archives but could not find much. I was going to try that and some lighted plugs...thanks steve. actually have all kinds of goodies but not sure what to use on size...hook or weight or line, how long on the leaders and other stuff or if I am doing it right. if someone could write the book I`ll buy it. :shrug:

[ 08-20-2003, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: dampainter ]

·
Registered
294 Posts
Drano is one of the most tight-lipped areas you will find. The shrimp cures down there seem to be more secretive than egg cures.
That being said..... (and I'm no expert down there), one point is get down to the bottom. The active fish seem to be just above the sand or weedbeds. Get there either with a slip bobber or a bottom rig that will float your bait up. This is what most of the anchored boats are doing.

Second, spinners were addressed above.

Third, std. wiggle-warts, usually with a downrigger 30-50 feet back set at 13' on the rigger.

Bring bino's and discreetly watch the guys catching and try to experiment and figure it out.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
When I fished Drano a few years ago we used a little bit of split shot and a sandshrimp.We would cast it out and let it SLOWLEY !! sink to the bottom and then ever so slow crank it back in.This worked grteat at night with a SMALL !!
Glo Corkie.I'll bet it still works.I also saw a lot of boats pulling those vortex lures around,sorry don't know how deep cus it was dark.I THINK !! they were just casting it out and calling that good ??.If you anchor which is what we did you need two anchors one up front and one out back to stop your boat from swinging cus it does get windy there at night.Oh Yea,we use to tape a small glow stick on the tip of our poles for when we just wanted to let it float around on a bobber or sit off the bottom.We would put a 3 way swivel on our line and a 1-2' dropper with about a 12-18" leader and just let it set with a sandshrimp and Glo corkie this also worked really well.Its been a few years since I fished there but I'll bet these methods still work.By the way you can still get two before midnight and two after.Good Luck.
Bob :grin:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
now that`s info I`m fishing for,thanks dawhunt...I know more on this board could reply along these lines, any other tips/ help out there?? one thing...when using shrimp or sandshrimp on a bobber rig, do you use whole or tail? if only tail do you take the shell off and use just the meat? and than would you tie to the shank or put the hook in the meat with an egg loop? what size hook?

·
Registered
147 Posts
D Painter
dewhunt, has my go to vortex at 18 pulls and .8mph troll speed I get this with drift socks and luck when its windy. lot less head trip than bait and bobber for me but thats what most are doing. samething on the big white it was always a back troll show till the bait boys pluged up the slot but the good thing is most go home after labor day and we get the river back in time for the b-run :wink:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
went to drano for first time nite fishing last nite ( thursday ) what a bust! not a bump, I trolled....I was the only boat doing that, used bluefox #5, a vortex a K-13 quickfish and a flatfish. after a couple hours of that I finished the nite off doing the bobber thing....I think that I have the rig and the depth down but wonder about the presentation of the shrimp? not sure I was putting it on the hook right. never fished with bait till now have only thrown spinners and trolled...both in the day. hey I appreciate the pointers all....someday when I have my act togeather hope I can repay the help.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Dampainter

I'm no expert either but I manage to catch fish on shrimp. I hook mine this way. Take the hook in your left hand and shrimp in the right. Hold the shrimp upside down and insert hook behind the head and rotate all the way through the shrimp sliding it up the shank of the hook. Bring the belly of the shrimp around and put hook into belly so it just barely sticks through the back. Wrap the egg loop around the belly and tighten it up. Hope that helps. This allows the shrimp to hang upright while under water and gives it a better presentation in my opinion.

Curlew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts