IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
9,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got my new to me driftboat almost ready to pput in the water, This fiberglass driftboat has a drain hole on the side of the boat, not the rear. What type of plug should I use? I have a SS 1" screw type of plug, but I also have one that is the fold over type. Which one should I use? Or is there a better option? I dont want to be going down the river and have some brush or something catch on it and unplug me and start sinking. Thanks in advance
Metal Cylinder Auto part Tool Art

Product Dumbbell Art Household hardware Nickel

Gas Electric blue Jewellery Household hardware Auto part

· Premium Member
2,599 Posts
The only plug that goes in from the outside of a hull is one that screws in and isn’t easily accessible from inside. Like this one…

A Drift boat plug go on the inside of the boat…. Period….. either one shown above will work fine. I like to attach mine to a thin piece of cable or heavy line, so it’s never lost when you need it, or roll under the decking. I use the same type in my John boat and small aluminum boat……

Believe it or not …. There is no pressure on that plug… in a leaky boat, you can actually pull the plug under power and it will drain the bilge. Just put it back in before you slow down.

Kirk

· Registered
16,776 Posts
The ones in your third picture are what I use in my drift boat, always have. And yes, from the inside..........

Reactions: rowmanholiday

· Registered
3,998 Posts
The other thing you will want to look out for is launching the boat. When you launch be very careful if the plug is in there is enough water. If the place you are launching is shallow or full of rocks you can break the plug. It is a good idea to carry the spare. Any of the 3 will work the first 2 stick out further than the last one and may break off. Summer steelhead or springers on the rivers many times has low water.
Enjoy your new boat. I have been blessed with learning the ropes of drifting many rivers in the 55 years I have been doing it.

· Registered
400 Posts
My first driftboat had the plug located in the floor, mid boat (near rowers feet, near the side). Boat came with a fold over style like you pictured.
One day, while fighting a fish, the net caught it and it popped out. Buddy was hollering to net the fish, when I told him about the fountain in the boat.
Got the fish and the plug put back. That was the last time I ever used a fold over plug.

· Registered
16,776 Posts
How thick is it where your drain hole is located?

Not sure if the ones in picture 3 will work if its to thick as they are designed to poke threw and when you tighten the wing nut it expands and kind of mushrooms around the inside and outside of the hole. They work very well on my boat, but only the thickness of the aluminum bottom......

Might see if there's someone close by you that has some you could try before you buy......

· Registered
7,054 Posts
I too use those plugs that are in your third picture. I feel the lower profile the plugs have to the floor, the better. I have a spare set of the flip top ones and I feel they are too bulky. Haven't had any issues except for when I accidentally kicked a plug out while messing about the stern one day. You gotta install them from the inside. They would get ripped off if not while drifting and scraping rocks and such. I also will not buy a plug if it isn't stainless steel.

· Registered
3,666 Posts
I made my own low profile plugs. Take rubber part from #1, trim down so there is 1/4" sticking out. Get ss carriage bolt, wing nut and flat washers like #3 except have flat washer on outside slightly smaller diameter than drain hole. Don't use too long of carriage bolt or it will be in the way inside.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts