IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like trolling in Green Peter and Lake Billy Chinook but the weights needed in deep lakes take all the action away.

I'm thinking of purchasing a couple small hand operated downriggers. I want to use them on my small aluminum boat. I've used the big electric ones commercial fishing with my dad years ago but I'm not experienced at all with these small ones.

I am just starting my research so any suggestions on brands pros/cons, features etc would be more information than I have.

Thanks,

·
Registered
720 Posts
I use a couple "cheap" canon clamp-ons when lake fishing. No counters, one turn = 1ft. they work, get the bait down where I want it.

tight lines

·
Registered
771 Posts
kokanee-killer:

I use different methods at different lakes, and depends on how deep the fish are. I use a cannon eazy-toll 2 with a 4# weight. I attach a set of flashers to the ball and use a stacker and release about a foot above the ball. The best release I've found for Kokanee is make by Sep's, it is yellow and comes with a stacker. Fisherman's Supply carries them. I also fish those places you mentioned and a few more. I'm also a Kok-freak.

Aufish101

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
I use the exact same method as Aufish, except for the release. Works great.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have both a Cannon and a Walker clamp-on type. I prefer the Walker simply because the clamp is all aluminum and it has an attached rod holder. It even came with a 6# ball and 100' of cable. I think I paid something like $75 for it a few years ago out of Cabella's I think. Both work great when trying to get those kokes in the 40' to 50' range. Good luck! :smile:

Day Late

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Scotty (1050 or 1060)- 2 ft./turn, counter, 200 ft. cable, automatic brake in case of accidental release of the handle(great feature)

I have used a 4lb cannonball for down to even 90 ft. for years. For 40-50 it's a piece of cake. I have a 10lb ball but you don't want to use it very often with a manual downrigger(doable, but it's work)
Scotty makes some great releases now. They are the ones with the chartruese tip. The small size is great for trout/kokanee. Line placement in the clip will give you a super light release or tighter for 90ft. down with high resistance lures.
It has an additional "collar" to add even more tension if needed.

These are about $125-$150 depending on the sale you find. Get a 2ft. spool- not a 1 footer- you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
K-Killer,
I fish Odell as well. Year before last(before I bought my own boat and some Cannon electric's) I bought a downrigger to use on my buddy's boat during a week at Odell which is a "Robert's Rigger". It fits into a "Fish-On" rod holder mount and is a pretty basic/beginners model. About $45.00 at Fishermans. Has a 3-4 lb ball, 1 turn = 1-foot, no brake, has clips, etc. It worked well for kokanee, but you couldn't get down the 120 ft required to fish the Makinaw (not enough cable).

It sound like you have a small boat, if this is something you're interested in to get started, make me an offer.Used on 1-trip to Odell now it's gathering dust.

Pat

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have the Roberts Rigger described by Parthur. Got it for $38 (downrigger, mount, cable, 4lb ball, release (get a different release))in Cabelas. If you are going to run downriggers 3-4 times a year and don't want a huge investement they are not a bad way to go. If you are going to run them more often then I would probably get something along the lines of trollin4trout. The mini cannons didn't seem worth the extra money you pay over the Roberts.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
I had the Scotty Depthmaster 1050 on my 12 foot aluminum boat for several years. I had bought the portable clamp mount so I could mount it anywhere on the boat.

I second the Sep's releases. I have tried many and I don't think you will find a better one for kokanee.

4 lbs is too light, IMHO. 8 lbs works just fine for most depths.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good discussion on Kokanee fishing -- I've learned a lot in this thread and appreciate the input.

Regarding getting down to Kokanee depths in lakes, has anyone used a Fish Seeker instead of a downrigger? In my latest issue of Trailer Boats Magazine, there's an ad for this unit from www.davisnet.com.

They come in three colors and supposedly eliminate the need for a downrigger and heavy weight, but allow you to set a predetermined depth for trolling > 2 MPH. (That seems a bit fast, actually.) I think they are $6 + $5 S/H.

No, I don't have any connection with TB Mag or Davis -- just planning ahead for next spring at Merwin.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Some do but I don't. Instead I use big hooks (2s and 4s) and an ultralight rod. The rod along with mono is all the snubber I need. I also don't use gang trolls which cause a lot of drag when a fish is switching directions. Small dodgers cause less drag.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Never tried one but I guess it would work like a jet diver. It would be interesting to test the claim that you don't feel them when reeling in a fish. Plus the 2mph is fast but I am sure you could play with how much line you let out to get to the desired depth.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
It looks like the fish seeker would work, but I would rather spend the money on a low end downrigger. With the fish seeker you will never know how deep you are actually fishing, and the depth will change with changes in trolling speed. The downrigger lets you place your lure at specific depths with no guess work. There are times I run my gear just off the bottom and that would seem difficult with the fish seeker. That is my $0.02 anyway.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You guys are all great. :bowdown: Thank you all for the imput. Lots of information here.

I'm going to stop by Fisherman's Marine tonight and window shop on the way home from work. I appreciate it.

Definitly will want a clamp on with my little 14' Gregor.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by parthur:
[QB] K-Killer,
but you couldn't get down the 120 ft required to fish the Makinaw (not enough cable).

Thanks for the offer. I think I'm going to hold out and go for something that will go down 150' minimum. I was thinking of those Big Mac's as well.

Thanks again to all.

G

·
I use a pair of Scotties on my 14' Smokercraft.
With the 10 lb balls I can do anything. It's easy to crank up a 10 lb ball even from 100+ feet.

[ 10-24-2003, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Keta ]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts