IFish.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the water was clear I was fishing my downrigger at 15 feet and caught two two Sundays ago. Since then the water has dirtied up, Should I go deeper to 20 or keep the same...I mark fish at 12 and 20 ft are they coming up in clear water or what???? :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Guess I'm stuck in a rut, but, I've always run mine at 18' I remember something from the deep dark recesses of my feeble mind that Charlie White or one of those guys said about having your lure or bait slightly above the fish as they are prone to looking upward rather than looking down.

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Where are you running down riggers this time of year? In most place I see trollers for springers people are all using Jet Divers and back trolling/bouncing. Seems more of open bay rigging or ocean? Haven't used them yet myself yet, but I will be giving them a try for Macks in June.

The last trip I went to B-Ville some guy was running downriggers right in the middle of a tight group of back trollers using J50s. heck before we realized it we were fishing behind him by 20 feet or more. :mad: He was the only guy in 30-40 boats and he didn't have a clue.

gus

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
In clearer water running bait or lures above marked fish is the general rule with a rigger, but in this chocolate milk, I'd say run very close to the actual marking depth, with vis. being about a foot. Bites that the rive is so dirty again!!! Still going to give it a shot real soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts