IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
I hold no grudge towards him. As others have said, he's been quite generous with his knowledge and it's much appreciated. And I am certainly not squeaky clean, but I also don't run with fake gas can coolers. The bottom line is, you break the rules you better be ready to pay the price. Even if you don't agree with the rules. Ask that woman's basketball player about the consequences of her decision. I value my freedom and fishing privileges so I try to walk the line.

·
Registered
14,972 Posts
After his first offense, it appears they were out to get him. 5 years over paperwork is pretty brutal.
And I am as free of guilt as Kingslew is. Well written Mr Slew.

Joe is my friend. He has come to my aid more than once. He will remain my friend. I am sad that he has made very poor choices.

On the grand scale of impacting the resource he is a drop in the ocean IMO. We all are paying for the sins of horrible overfishing allowed by "managers" who should never have had their jobs and harvesters who showed up to harvest. But rules are rules and once you are on LE's radar you are going to stay there for a long time.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
It is what it is. I'm going to stay out of it and let others attend to the crucifixion. I myself am free of sin. I have always handed off the rod; I would never dream of filling a sleeping child's limit or keep a salmon caught with a barbed hook while bottom fishing. I would only remind everyone that Joe is guilty of keeping and presumably eating fish, fish that he could have legally otherwise sold to the public. My god! What a monster...
If I am understanding the article correctly, he kept fish for personal use, which would be a violation of his recreational suspension.

However, had he sold that fish commercially, he could have then bought it back from the commercial buyer and been legal......with a paperwork trail. Is that correct?

-E-

Reactions: CatchinCoho

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Any ifish executioners make a poor choice or do anything stupid? Many glass house’s around here must made of the bulletproof variety?

All the good Joe has done for me along with what I have witnessed him do selflessly for and with others should not be eclipsed by some bad decisions. He will pay his debts as prescribed by the courts. When he’s square with the house again he will always have a place on my boat any time he wants. I haven‘t seen or talked with him in a while, but I will always consider him a friend. All of the people in my circle including me are completely fallible human beings, just like, you.

Owl

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Awww Joe... dang it. He was a frequent poster when I first started getting salty and I enjoyed, and learned from, his posts.

If you hunt and fish enough you’ll find yourself in, or put yourself in, a compromised position eventually. Like shooting a hen turkey- with a beard. Now what?! Well, tag it and eat it, hope you don’t get checked on the way home. Shooting a spike blacktail buck with a spike tag- then finding a little fork on the other horn you didn’t see.

But I do draw a line at premeditated intent, and it seems Joe plays awfully loose with that line. An unfortunate end to his salty story for sure.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As someone who just joined and know nothing about this situation, it’s an interesting read. Though I do think that law enforcement has seen all sorts of situations, some of which we can’t even imagine. My fishing partner’s son is in law enforcement and when we all go fishing, he has some stories!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
And I am as free of guilt as Kingslew is. Well written Mr Slew.

Joe is my friend. He has come to my aid more than once. He will remain my friend. I am sad that he has made very poor choices.

On the grand scale of impacting the resource he is a drop in the ocean IMO. We all are paying for the sins of horrible overfishing allowed by "managers" who should never have had their jobs and harvesters who showed up to harvest. But rules are rules and once you are on LE's radar you are going to stay there for a long time.
exactly!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Any ifish executioners make a poor choice or do anything stupid? Many glass house’s around here must made of the bulletproof variety?

All the good Joe has done for me along with what I have witnessed him do selflessly for and with others should not be eclipsed by some bad decisions. He will pay his debts as prescribed by the courts. When he’s square with the house again he will always have a place on my boat any time he wants. I haven‘t seen or talked with him in a while, but I will always consider him a friend. All of the people in my circle including me are completely fallible human beings, just like, you.

Last time I looked in the mirror, I wasn’t perfect either. I’m sure he regrets the mistakes he’s made and I regret making mistakes too. As others have said, he’s been a friend for many years and I hope he gets a chance to get back out there.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Awww Joe... dang it. He was a frequent poster when I first started getting salty and I enjoyed, and learned from, his posts.

If you hunt and fish enough you’ll find yourself in, or put yourself in, a compromised position eventually. Like shooting a hen turkey- with a beard. Now what?! Well, tag it and eat it, hope you don’t get checked on the way home. Shooting a spike blacktail buck with a spike tag- then finding a little fork on the other horn you didn’t see.

But I do draw a line at premeditated intent, and it seems Joe plays awfully loose with that line. An unfortunate end to his salty story for sure.
Understand and agree. Just fyi though bearded hens are legal in spring season. Beard is the defining trait for legal bird in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I will, as many of you have said you play with fire you will get burned, agree. Joe did what he did and I am sure he knew what would happen if he got caught. But then I do not know his side of the story. I hope he doesn't leave the IFish site and continues with his stories and his advice. If he wants he can let us know what went down and how it can help others. I am looking forward to Joe's voice on IFish.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
In a way, ODFW only has itself to blame for giving a known violator another way to violate the rules, as per this statement from the article:

"In 2020 the fisherman obtained a commercial fishing license, which allowed him to continue to fish despite the court ordered recreational suspension. "

Did they think he was going to follow the rules for a commercial fisher after he was banned from recreational fishing for violating the rules?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Maybe it was the risk of getting caught that he in some way had to have, and that he enjoyed. From what little I know of Joe, just from his public posts and a little bit of PM’ing, as a younger guy he was ALL about taking risks most would never consider.

21 - 40 of 95 Posts