IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Dang Joe got hung out to the cleaners, 5 years of no fishing is spiritual "death sentence" IMO.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
The folks that purposefully poach and devise elaborate ways to color outside the lines to avoid detection (especially on an ongoing basis) need to pay some significant penalties. Jerk. Thief.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Not sure I understand the first violation. It appears he was keeping halibut he caught from his dory boat. Is that illegal?

If it was out of season, or over the bag limit, or under/over the size limit, I can understand. But it doesn't say that. The press release seems to indicate his only infraction was landing halibut from a dory, and keeping the fish rather than selling them. I'm sure there's more to the story......

I'm curious b/c I've caught halibut from a friend's dory (launch from Cannon Beach). I kept the one 20lb halibut I caught. I didn't sell it.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
It is what it is. I'm going to stay out of it and let others attend to the crucifixion. I myself am free of sin. I have always handed off the rod; I would never dream of filling a sleeping child's limit or keep a salmon caught with a barbed hook while bottom fishing. I would only remind everyone that Joe is guilty of keeping and presumably eating fish, fish that he could have legally otherwise sold to the public. My god! What a monster...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Still not clear.....

Here is the first violation, as stated in the press release:

"Evens is a repeat offender when it comes to taking halibut. He lost his recreational fishing license in 2018 after OSP F and W Troopers received a tip that someone operating a dory boat in the Cape Kiwanda area was catching and keeping halibut for themselves and their passengers without reporting it."

The PR mentions several later violations, including those that occurred under his commercial license (which he obtained in 2020, AFTER the above violation). But this is the first violation mentioned . Thus my question: Why is this illegal?

And, how would anyone know if someone was catching and keeping halibut for themselves and their passengers without reporting it, while still on the water? This seems to have been what led the OSP to search the dory while he was still fishing. Are we required to immediately call someone whenever we catch and keep a halibut for ourselves or our passengers? If so, that's new to me. Not sure what ".....without reporting it" means in this context.

I'm not questioning whether this person deserved whatever he got, or that he is somehow innocent. I'm just trying to understand what he did wrong.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
It is what it is. I'm going to stay out of it and let others attend to the crucifixion. I myself am free of sin. I have always handed off the rod; I would never dream of filling a sleeping child's limit or keep a salmon caught with a barbed hook while bottom fishing. I would only remind everyone that Joe is guilty of keeping and presumably eating fish, fish that he could have legally otherwise sold to the public. My god! What a monster...
I’m not throwing stones either.

When/where I grew up party hunting wasn’t just an incident, it was expected.

Mom is seasick up front, we’ll just put fish on her tag first.

Reactions: Chass

·
Registered
266 Posts
While I think I smell what you are cooking in regards to the grey area of regulations…

if I read the current infraction correctly, it sounds like he had very deep intent to break the law. Converting a gas can into a “contraband” concealer is very blatant. It’s not like he “hid” the fish in a cooler or backpack. He went out with intent.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Still not clear.....

I'm not questioning whether this person deserved whatever he got, or that he is somehow innocent. I'm just trying to understand what he did wrong.
For pretty much all commercial fishing, there has to be a paper trail for all fish landed. When you unload at the dock, say Pac Choice in Newport, they issue a landing receipt and that record goes to the state. Landing taxes are paid (pennies per lb). If you load fish into your vehicle and drive them to the wholesaler, then a transport ticket / log is required. There is a way to keep some of your commercially caught fish for yourself. But it needs to go to a wholesaler first, then back to you. So you end up "buying back" the fish you caught. Paper trail.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Exactly.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Here's what I know about Joe: He was generous with his knowledge. He has posted many times about catching sole. That information was very helpful to me. I appreciate the generosity.

Apparently he ran afoul of the law. That's not my concern. I hope Joe finds plenty of fulfilling activities to spend his time doing for the next 5 years, and then I hope that he returns to fishing and sharing his knowledge.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts