IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don\'t try this with your crab cooker

I may be able to save someone from disappointment here. Was camping on Tillamook spit with Boy Scouts over the weekend. Thought I would be "smart" and rig up my crab cooker (turkey fryer style) to run off the disposable cylinders to keep from lugging around the large tank. The cooker sucks so much propane out so quickly that it will go through a freeze-thaw cycle (burns good, freezes up, thaws, repeat). What a pain in the a**! Had to keep "sloshing" the cylinders around. You go through a lot, pretty much one just to get the crabs cooking and then another one about every 1-2 batches of crab.

biederboat

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
Re: Don\'t try this with your crab cooker

Are you boiling or steaming? I've found that it only takes a couple inches of water to cook a full pot of crabs and it's much faster than boiling a few gallons of water.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I agree (and usually cook them that way) and it may have worked better that way (with the propane), but when you have a bunch of adults around who "don't get it" I wasn't in a mood to answer questions and try and convince everyone. It still may have had problems though. Even when the water was up to temp it tended to freeze-thaw even at a very low setting (almost off), it just sucks too much propane.

Biederboat

·
Registered
733 Posts

i have a turkey/crab cooker and bought a 2 gallon propane tank.. its the small and squatty looking. easy to haul and provides enough propane to cook several pots (boiling water). tell me more about steaming them? i have always filled the cooker half full with water, boiled and cooked for 20 mins.. is there a easier way? thanks joco

·
Registered
170 Posts

Did you happen to try any rock fishing off the jetty besides crabbing there? I like to ride my bike out, dig some sand shrimp, and fish off the S. Jetty - just wondering if the fishing is good now..

·
Registered
13,253 Posts

I know where the boy scouts usually camp, and I was camped there this summer for a week over the 4th of July, spent hours and hours packing firewood for a week long camp trip and the forest circus showed up and put a no campfire sign on a tree over my pile of wood the second day. :depressed:

Was my extremely large pile of firewood still stacked there?

When the Forest Circus crew showed up they were all panicky and ran to the bay to get a bucket of water to put out the fire immediately because, they thought it was gonna get away from them :hoboy: Of course the 10 of us sitting around the fire in lawn chairs didnt see the problem :wink: They told us we could have a fire on the beach :shrug: Of course that is where most of the wood was :hoboy:

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Didn't see the large stack of wood, someone else probably enjoyed it.

I usually cook crabs for only 10, 15 minutes at most.

Biederboat

·
Registered
9,914 Posts

Maybe take a pan of warm water and place the little cylinder in it so the propane in it keeps the vapor pressure up. Good old adibatic expansion. BTW ever see a propane cylinder explode in a fire? WOW

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

:laugh: Hey B.O.E, that must be the same circus that showed up on me one time. Was camping in the Trask and had a small fire going. It was after a good heavy rain. They came up and proceeded to threaten me with instant death if i did not put it out. Funny part of the whole deal was they had a huge slash burn smoldering with flames three and four feet high but i guess that was not a danger.
said slash burn was about 5 oo yards down the road. I saw it when i went by it to cut my wood. :laugh: :shrug:

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hey chrome bumper, actually I was taking the cylinder and putting it into the BOILING water! I only had guts enough to try that a few seconds at a time, plus it had the effect of coooling the water you were trying to boil. Of coure, perhaps what I should have done was run a tee to another small stove and had it keep the water warm for the propane cyliner. Whatever it takes!

Biederboat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts