IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Don\'t let your kids go fishing alone....

Sorry about that, below is the text...

A young Oregon fisherman got a big surprise when he pulled his catch out of a local creek.

Fourteen-year-old Jason McGinnis won’t be telling stories about the size of his catch – his fish tale will be all about the teeth.

The fish is a type of piranha sold in pet shops. (KGW Photo)
He pulled a red belly piranha out of Johnson Creek.

The flesh-eating fish bit the youngster’s finger when he pulled it out of the water. But McGinnis decided not to get even by eating the fish for dinner.

He kept it alive instead, hoping to sell it to a pet shop.

For now, the piranha is living in McGinnis’ bathtub.

McGinnis has bite marks on his finger where the piranha bit him. (KGW Photo)

Piranhas are illegal in Washington and California, but they are legal in Oregon. The fish could net the young fisherman as much as $400.

Piranhas are a rare type of fish with sharp teeth. In the wild, they thrive in tropical fresh water and often attack and feed on live animals.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

I can't believe that it lived in johnson creek :shocked:

[ 08-14-2003, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Quick Fisher ]

·
Registered
280 Posts

I had a piranah once, he was a great fish. Called him Jaws. I had to leave him with my parents after going into the Navy.

They like the water pretty warm, in the upper 70s or above. If they get too cold they will die. So I would excpect them to die over the winter around here.

rv

·
Registered
2,112 Posts

They may be able survive the cooler winter months here, if given time to acclimate. The fish wont survive long in the bathtub tho. He better sell it quick. Several years ago on the Willamete two piranha or Oscars (close relative of Piranha), not sure which, were caught in the same year. If I remember the story correctly, it was in the news and in the paper. They were in good shape and healthy.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,369 Posts

T3: They were pacu. It looks like a pirahna, but is a vegetarian.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Now this is something I thought funny, but have wanted to know the answer to for a while..
If you look at the Oregon Sport Fishing Regulations. Page 12.. section 18. you will read that unless authorized by specific permit issued by the Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission, No person may angle for or Possess.... pirhana is on the list.......
Any thoughts on this? Or is there another fish with a similar name? Am I missing the spelling here or what?

Thanks!!!!!!

Mike C

·
Registered
3,077 Posts

Originally posted by Quick Fisher:
I can't believe that it lived in johnson creek :shocked:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I think it was actually a sunfish but after living in Johnson creek for a while....

I am just glad that he caught it while fishing and not swimming!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts