IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit the big river today with my trusty fishing hound Willow to try for some late URB's. I did not expect too much with the nets but the counts are still around 8000 or so and I had some great days Springer fishing with those kind of numbers and I could not think of a better way to spend a day! :dance:

The sunrise was awesome, the river was calm, the miagratory birds were everywhere and I even got to watch a pair of bald eagles work the water below me for some ducks for about an hour. :cool:

After a while I get a huge pound down and I jump up to set the hook! FISH ON! OK Willow pull up the sea anchors, drop us off... DARN those dogs just dont listen!
You gotta love it when you set the hook and feel that real heavy head throb once then twice then a nice strong run! You gotta hate the feeling of the rod going slack for no apparent reason! CRACKER! :hoboy:

I am dissapointed and I walk my wobbler back and BAM! I get another fish. This one stuck! The dog still did not pull in the sea anchors so I fight the fish to the boat. Now the tricky part when you are salmon fishing by yourself, the net job. I am happy to report it only took me two stabs! I got this nice 20lb hen for the box. Man was she chrome, even had sea lice!

I get my wobbler back out and about 20 minutes later the rell starts singing... ZZZzzzzzzztttt... ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzztttt!!! Allright another fish on! This one was a brawler and when I finally got it in it was about the same size as my first but a little dusky so I let it go as my slots are getting limited on my tag!

Shortly there after the tide stopped so I headed back in. Not a bad day at 2-3. I picked up a couple of those new Brad's Wobblers and they worked great, both of the fish I caught were on them. Here is a pic, seems like the copper/brass is a winner!

Fished around Frenchmans Bar in 55 ft of water!

:cheers:

3,877 Posts
"Shane the Fish Terminator" strikes again. :cheers:

Awesome job.

I have never done it alone before and always told myself....hmmmm that netting stuff looks hard with just 1 person.

Heading out in the morning with Hogback. Will provide a St. Helens report tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
Beauty of a fish Shane! Nice job :cheers:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great looking fish!
I was about ready to go down to the coast and try Garibaldi or Nehalem, but not yet.
Your right about the springer numbers. When the count was over 6000 fish over Bonn., fishing was hot!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Shane, sounds like a great day. Congrats on the fishies, I'd have to agree with Joe, you should've put it on Willows tag. :bowdown:

Just curious if Chris ever got his cabinets and floor cleaned. :grin:

Great job, Later Geoff

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Shane, why'd you go and do that? Now, the lines at the ramp and the hoglines are going to get crowded again. :wink: :grin: Nice job, the fish I've been seeing and getting are just magnificent chrome specimens of salmonids. What's better though, is not waiting to launch and working your way through two or three hoglines to catch them.

I know what you mean by netting by yourself. :blush: After awhile you get the job done with only one stab, sometimes. :laugh:

·
Registered
327 Posts
WELL SHANE another fine day on the TAJ.. I miss fishing with you . thanks for sharing the post and pictures ....sincerely droughting in colorado steve.. :bowdown:

·
Registered
491 Posts
shane,i was wondering about your tag limit.you catch way more fish than i do and i only have two slots left.if your fishing the columbia,can't you buy a Washington salmon card and fill that up too?

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Plug nickle, you should give up your day job and be a salmon guide. :bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Shane- How dare you take that fish out of the water and take pictures. I can clearly see that your reflective tape isn't trimed and centered just right and is that a double split ring I see in front of the hook? You ought to be ashamed of yourself :hoboy: :grin:

Resource Raper :laugh:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
night stocker,

3 slots left, but I have filled two hatchery cards and I am working on my 3rd... thanks for wondering though. :cheers:

On the WA thing... I dont think you can do that!

[ 09-26-2003, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: 5-Cents ]

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
right on Shane! :cheers:

·
Registered
491 Posts
5cents,there is no reason that you can't get a washington tag for fishing the columbia.save those three slots for t-bay or nehalem.on the other thread,your other fishing buddy mentioned it also.a legal loophole, so to speak.just trying to help you out.i never even thought about it untill this year when my buddy told me the fish checker at the rainer ramp said that he was killing them with something like 50 fish out of the columbia and he asked him how that was possible.someday,when i grow up,i want to be just like you,and here's to you.you fish slaying machine :cheers: right now though,my freezer is full of fish and cannot eat anymore of it.my kids are tired of it. no matter how you cook it, it is still salmon.i like to give it away to my neighbors and relatives. :grin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts