IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don\'t be an IDIOT!!!

OK so i decide to go hit the Eloch... for a few hours this evening.. I get up there fish a few runs thuroughly with spinners, jigs and eggs. No hits and saw very few fish even though the water came up over night.. So I tie on a chrome and black wiggler. I had pretty much lost hope of getting a nice coho but was just killing time with the plug.. Anyway when i tied the knot it burned a couple inches above the plug and KNOWING that i wasn't going to hook anything i decided to be lazy and not retie it ( ROB IS AN IDIOT).. so i begin casting the plug and after a few casts i actually got a hit, i set the hook saw the flash but it didn't stick.. I still didn't retie figureing the fish eas a fluke and now soremouthed ( ROB IS A DOUBLE IDIOT) anyway i fish on down the run and nothing more happens. I come back to the top and start in again 5th cast or so WHAM violent strike and fish on!!! i loosen the drag knowing i am disadvantaged by my lazyness and I fight the fish as gingerly as I can but something was funny.. This fish was taking line and not giving me the "death roll" so common in coho.. this fish flashed close to the surface and at first sight i thought it was a chinook because of the size.. Then i see the long red stripe and olive brown back and white belly. It's a summer run and umm well a VERY BIG ONE!!! Now I am thinking I wish i had my camera.. Anyway I am fighting this fish and he is just tpying with me just sitting there and swimming away when it wants too. I couldn't see the plug in it's mouth , I assume he took it deep.. The fish rolls on it's side and I see it's hatchery and again I see that it is HUGE! probably a wayward Idaho fish. I'd say an EASY 20lbs and all of 40 inches long.. just as my jaw hits the ground the fish headshakes and breaks me off just like that...

You never ever ever ever KNOW anything.. don't be an idiot, if there is a problem with your gear fix it!!!
Dampainter if you catch a large buck on your way in a couple weeks and it is trying to digest a chrome wart let me know i'd like my plug back :smile:

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Re: Don\'t be an IDIOT!!!

Isn't it crazy how we know better and still do it!! Been there...done that.... will ALWAYS re-tie now :grin:

- :dance: jokester

·
Registered
13,823 Posts

Good point Rob.

I fished with The Weasel today. He has caught a few in his day. So one would think mistakes are rare as hens teeth. Like I said, One would think...

Johnny ties on a Fatfish and flings it out there. After a few hours( 2 days of fishing on one knot) a short bus fish eats the plug.

Rod flattens out. Couple headshakes. Line goes slack.....really slack... too much slack for a plug.

Yep, the 2 day old, never fail Palomar knot( the one that won him some sort of knot contest at the sportsman show) came unglued.

Well long story long, the Irish side ( and cheap side) of Weasel takes over and he starts looking for the plug. Shouldn't be too hard. Just search over by that fish that is finning around the surface in 20 feet of water... You know the one that is shaking it;s head that is trying to lose a hook from it's mouth...He finds the Lucky Fattie. And ties on again.

So much for my hero being perfect. But he is still my hero-( his one crackered salmon beats my zero salmon I guess). But he is no longer a perfect hero.

Mark and the stay at home dog.

[ 10-19-2003, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Flatfish ]

·
Registered
989 Posts

And dont forget about retying the mainline after fighting a fish. I know when the fishing is good that it is sooo easy to just tie the hook line back onto a swivel without retying the mainline. Big Mistake!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts