IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time I was out fishing, I took the pup with me. Of course she fell in and it was a real hassle trying to get her back in the boat. Finally had to use the net...ok, no net. But it was difficult. Anyone know where to buy a cheap vest for dogs that would make it easier to lift her out of the water? I didn't see any at Petco last night.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
There was a free XL one on the "Pass if forward" thread on the main board. It may have been spoken for though.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
We got a nice one at REI for our pooch. I think it was around $50, but well worth.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
We got one for ours at Petco, for $25. It works great for the price and has the handle on top to lift your buddy right out. The only problem now is, he jumps in when the boat is moving. He did it at Hagg Lake just before summer ended. It was HILARIOUS. Luckily, we were only going at 5mph towards the dock to take out. He was on the bow, he looked over at us with a pathetic face and then next I know he leaps in. My wife freaked out at first, then when we looked over board, he was all smiles with his tongue out. Guess, he didn't want to go yet and it was pretty warm that day.

Anyhoot, call around before you head out. I've never seen more than 2-3 at any of the stores and the sizes are limited.

Deja

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
A couple years ago I bought a doggy pfd for my very expensive white lab pup.....I got it at Cabela's, 44.95 or something like that....It came in handy many a time...she was always trying to jump out of the boat while it was moving....One time I barely got her by the handle....she was jumping overboard for the waves made by the boat ! I spent alot for my dog and love her to death and this was a wise investment. I know Labs are supposed to "Swim" but with the Columbia currents I want her to be safe and me not sorry ;)

She really can swim...even with the sun in her eyes ;)

I love my dog :grin:

MrDorkfish

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
My Blue Heeler can swim just fine, and I had not considered a life jacket for her. She has found herself on the outside in the drink twice, but both times while we were trolling, on accident. No problem pulling her in at all.
It occurred to me however, if something happened while we were on plane, I might not notice right away. For that reason I will be obtaining a nice brightly colored PFD for her just in case. She'll only wear it on the high speed runs, and she'll hate it, but it will give me peace of mind knowing we can find her and pull her in if the worst happens. She's very dark, and a bright vest will help immensely in spotting her....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts