IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Each year about this time my dog (golden retriever) starts really itching. For the past 5 years I have taken her to the vet and after their exam and attempts to sell me everything on the shelf, they give the the shot of cortizone then bill me $200+. All I want is the shot or pills.

My question: does anybody know a vet who would just give her the shot ( which I know she needs from past experience) or a prescription, without all the expenses?

Thanks in advance

Seabass

· Registered
2,372 Posts
Sorry, I don't know any vets in your area.

Has your vet not done any testing for the allergy, to find out what is causing it?
What do you feed your dog? A lot of allergies come from the ingredients in dog food. Some are those "recommended" by vets.

· Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She hasn't been tested for allergies. We thought it might be the food so we were feeding her the vets food ( after getting the cortizone shot) so I don't know if the food helped anything at that time. We switched to Iams and had no trouble for several months. I am pretty sure that if we give her the shot she will be fine.

· Registered
6,707 Posts
My lab had this and I found that he needed a good brushing and then I swim him in the clack every 3 days for two weeks and use calm coat- It is oil used on horses coat you get it in any farm store. It makes him smell like a hippy from Eugene but he stops iching. This has put a stop to very bad skin reaction he used to get dry skin and would scratch till he got sores every fall. I start this each fall when I notice the first sighn of iching it has worked for the last 6 years. My granny recomended this, she said a dog was ment to live outside so the animal could produce oil for its coat naturaly. By living in doors it can reduce the ammount of oil produced by the skin.

· Banned
5,336 Posts
Boy, I wonder if your dog has the same thing my dog has... I hunt him alot, and he has fur like a golden's. Last year he started loosing fur on his tail and then started pulling it out, it was obvious he itched really badly.

After several vets etc, we finally figured out that it was A yeast/fungal situationj from being soaking wet when hunting.

I recently got some stuff from an equestrian store that is for horses and dogs with Benzakalonium chloride (.13% I believe) i put it on the skin as a liquid about 3 times a day. It has finally done the trick.

I had him on ketoconazole tablets this past summer, and that helped, but not like this liquid stuff has,

Be careful of the steroid injections.

If you can get by with out them, your dog might live a lot longer and be healthier.

That stuff is kind of like using the guns of Navarone, and sometimes the situation only requires a high powered air rifle.

· Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot to all that have replied so far. Keep them coming. This is what makes ifish so great, I see others getting offended by responses (sometimes I do this), but the rewards are too valuable to quit.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated, my dog is the best and sweetest of all dogs. She doesn't deserve to be miserable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.