IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with all the diffrent shapes of hooks for bass, it would seem some might work good for salmon/steelhead..anyone use em?

·
Registered
814 Posts
BBB,
Uh yes. I have to admit that I have strayed to the dark side and actually used Bass worm hooks for steelhead. The out come however was not favorable. I used them on a pink worm set-up instead of having to thread the worm onto your leader. Well, long story short.... I lost the fish because the dang hook straightened out. If you must insist on using these hooks, try to find the heaviest guage hook you can. You may have to special order some from Owner. Owner is the only hook manufacture the makes something stout enough for the kind of punishment salmon and steelhaed can dish out.
Good Luck
Ragnar

·
Premium Member
14,393 Posts
outside of using them for pink worms, i can't think of a time it would make sense to use them for salmon.

take your standard salmon hook leader and put a corky on it. now grab that corky and pull it tight against the hook. see what happens? it turns the hook to press against the inside of the jaw. when the corky moves out of the way, the hook is set to be well planted into the jaw of the fish.

that and the gauge of most bass hooks isn't really suited to the harder fighting salmon. i'll stick with what i know will work for the fishing i do.

now, circle hooks for bait/bobber fishing. there's a good idea!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I've used several Owner Bass hooks for steelhead and have had mixed results. One type which is a barbarian style with a cutting point edge ripped clean through the lip of steelhead. Almost too sharp. I'm currently experimenting with another hook that I'll give a thorough workout with the pink worm this fall and winter. If it works like I think it should, it will be hot.

Mark

·
Registered
814 Posts
Mark,
Ooooooooo......! Barbarian Hook! That sounds like something that only a true BERSERKER would use. :bowdown:
Ragnar like! Tell me more and leave out any juicy details. Care to "hook" a brother up :laugh: ? I'd be happy to do some field testing for you. Geez! Sometimes I'm just too "punny" for my "own"er good. Sometimes I just crack myself up. Well? What the use in getting out of bed if you can't laugh at yourself every once in a while? :dance:
I love your jigs. I've been tying my own for quite some time now (very similar to yours). Of course, like you mentiond in your news letter (good read by the way) I'd like to find that piece of fishy water that isn't crawling with people. I'd also like to talk with you about luminesent tying materials........

Ragnar

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I use a #4 circle to nose-hook a sassy shad with it's belly trimmed. Use a s-l-o-w sweep set. I went 3/3 near Troy Sunday.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Ragnar

The first time I used this hook I tied up several and gave them to a friend. His buddy took them out and ripped some lips..literally. Like I said almost too sharp if you want to release fish. I'm on the fence on whether to offer them as an option on my jigs.

Here is a picture of a crawdad pattern with the barbarian style hook. It has a cutting point edge and instead of the typical 90 degree jig hook, this one is 60 degrees. This difference has the hook point riding lower in the water which I think helps for a more solid hook up. Who knows. Must do more field testing. Hey it's a tough job but somebody has to do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts