IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stoked. We're buying a place that's about 3 miles to Dodge Park and around 5 to Oxbow Park. This means the Sandy is now my best option to fish..for years to come, hopefully. I need some help. I've always heard that this drift is fine except for the area just down stream of Dodge Park (Pipeline area?) where it can be very tricky. I am a good oarsman (Deschutes Warm Springs to Trout Creek, McKenzie to Armitage-upstream but can't remember put in spot, and Clackamas--all many time) and have a 9' Southfork Bucks pontoon that is quite maneuverable. I'd be willing to walk the boat down the bad parts but really need the most accurate info. I may end up with a guide to take me down and show me the runs anyhow but any info would be great. Also, about how long does it take on average with and without fishing time included? Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Your pontoon should be fine. I would walk around the pipeline until you feel ready. The Blue Hole is also known to be a bad spot. I have also heard that you have to keep an eye out for trees in this section.

This is a beautiful drift.

·
Premium Member
14,399 Posts
i'd definitely go with a guide your first time through. tell them you have a pontoon you're going to use and have them point out the bad stuff. you're in for one heck of a treat there. i've heard it's absolutely beautiful in that stretch. congrats on the house!! so, when's the big ifish sleepover?

·
Registered
384 Posts
SS, you heard right about the first section, from the put-in down to the next bridge, being the toughest on that stretch. A couple of big holes and standing waves, but if you've taken your pontoon boat through the water you listed, particularly Whitehorse, which I'd consider similar but more difficult to that stretch, I think you'll be fine. It is a beautiful float with alot of good water.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sorry SS, I just saw that your Deschutes experience was above the canyon...Dodge to Oxbow is much more difficult than WS to TC. Good luck learning the river...hopefully we won't be calling you SoS.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Just took a trip with Jack Glass down that drift. He knows the water extremely well.
If you can book the trip with him, its the best option. You'll learn where the fish lie and more importantly-where the boulders lie.
Keep in mind there is no fishing from a floating device in this section so it's a wading show.

Oh yeah-I think it was 7 river miles with way more good water than you can effectively fish so it can take as little or long as one wants.

[ 04-19-2003, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Jimmy Carl Black ]

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
$125 but it was booked last year(birthday present from my wife) I think he raised the prices to 150.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts