IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy I tell ya. If you can't trust your friends for a fishing report, who can you trust? :shrug: I have several re-lie-able sources for springer information. One buddy in particular can't seem to tell the truth to save his soul when it comes to springer fishing.

He will call up and say, "dude, one in the boat" and then proceed to tell you the method, bait, time, tide, how many pulls, weight.....well, you understand. Then you call them on their bluff. "Is that on the King James? :whazzup: ". Then you hear something like this. "huh?, what? errr.....well...not really but we have seen a couple of fish caught that way :laugh: :tongue: ".

So to my buddy Rod out there in fishless land, dude you crack me up :grin: but you better learn a more crafty way to be a trickster. I'm on to ya bro.

So, the question is, do your buddies call you and do this to you? :smile:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Mine do, only to irritate me while I'm working. I have text messaging on my cell phone, so it's always "one in the boat", "that's two", "released a huge nate", "you should be here". They crumple like a cheap suit when you ask to see their tag the next day...

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
as the story goes....

theres lies, dam lies, and fishin stories

:grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
I have a couple of retired friends that call me at work to tell me "We've got 1 and lost another", AND... they're not lying :mad: I almost wish they were!!

Among my group of fishing friends we don't lie and we don't keep secrets. If we say we got 43 shad then we did!

My favorite lies...lines you hear at the ramp or standing in line at "Fishermans":

35# Chinook = 22#
9# Bass = 4 1/2 # Most people have never seen a 9# bass...it would frighten them!
50 pounder = 32#
19" trout or 5 pounder = 15" stocker hold over
20# steelhead = 13# spawner
"That fish broke 40# line!!" = rotten line
I'm sure there are more!

·
Registered
13,978 Posts
It gets worse. I have friends who tell you that they killed the fish. Then they don't tell you where! Now thats jus bragging.

It's OK, next time I am out and I whack 'em. I will tell them that I killed em. But I had to swear that I would not tell anyone where....

Mark and the dog.

3,877 Posts
As I read from a fishermans quotes page in the net one time:

"FISHERMEN MAKE THE MOST TRUSTWORTHY LIARS"

That is oh so true. :grin:

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KHH you summed it up! Ah... but it cracks me up when folks try to pull the wool over my eyes. After a while it's kind of like the little boy who cried wolf. :hoboy: It's all in good fun of course and I enjoy the challenge. Actually, I have gotten pretty good and getting folks back that pull this kind of stuff. :grin:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Like everyone, I have a couple guys I know who "take liberties with the truth" on the level of activity they experience. It's not just fishing though, it's with everything they do. Most of the people I know who are pretty forthcoming, as am I with them. Advice and information is only worth what you pay for it..... Trusted friends = good information.

Pics and blood in their boat doesn't hurt either!

SureSet

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hey, a fisherman is only lying when his mouth is moving. At least that is what my wife tells me.Ha!Ha!

Still got to trust your buddy though.

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no problem trusting my buddies as long as they swear on the King James Bible that it is the truth. :cheers: :grin: No King James, no believe ya. At least thats how it is with a few buddies of mine anyways. I think my legs have grown three inches from all the pullin this springer season.

You can always tell when they are telling the truth because the first thing out of thier mouths is "now this is on the King James". Anything other than that is just a torture rack :hoboy: :tongue:

I guess my revenge is calling in a report and leading them on and then finally saying, "oh by the way, this story WAS ON THE KING JAMES DUDE!!!" All you hear is silence and a "really?" :grin: "Oh man, yer kill'in me" :grin:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
come on guys, all of you seem to have little trust and faith in your fellow man. I for one have a small circle of reliable sources out there.
I have think well of them as I have provided nothing but quality information and feel they do the same. While I try not to sware, I only hope that I have built trust and honor into everything I do. I think we should give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. And then, it's never to late to repent unless someone beats the life right out of them for being a liar. All fishermen tell the truth, just not all the time.
Here is a truth you can count on but beyond that, you are on your own.
*fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Of course they do, They are fisherman :smile: We lie to each other all the time but is in good fun. The truth always will be told eventually.But we have fished together for a long time, so there is a trust that if fishing is actually good we will let each other know. I got a buddy earlier this spring when I was on the Willamette and he called and asked how I was doing, I told him I got one about 24, he just assumed I meant lb's. :smile: I told him the next day it was actually inches. Was fun though, and he called me a few off color names because of it. But if you cant mess with your best fishing buddies who can you mess with.

[ 05-31-2003, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: firedog ]

·
Registered
663 Posts
Firedog...I second that emotion....

Like the old saying... If you want to go on a diet, just use the weight on your drivers license as a goal...

[ 05-31-2003, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Sensei-san ]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts