IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading life in general, and saw This post, about the history of ifish.

I thought it was interesting to again look at (Click here) ifish as it was, in 1998.

For some reason, all the images won't load for me, on that page, but if I click, "View image" they show up. Weird!

Anyway, Ifish was but a dream, in 1996, and in 1997, began to take shape. (Yeah, yeah, not much shape!)

I had been doing web work for seasurf, and it's clients, and decided I wanted a real page of my own. I had been doing midi music recordings, just for fun, and was getting nowhere doing midi sites.

So, FISHING! I thought, "What do I love more than anything else?" FISHING! ...and I began to keep an online journal of my thoughts and dreams of fishing.

People came! I'll never forget my first client. I was at a basketball game and Mark Charlton of Charlton Charters was there. We began to talk while our boys played, and pretty soon, he signed up for advertising! He was excited about it, and remains a faithful client to this day!

I don't remember the date that we started the discussion forum, but I do remember only a handful of people were on it at first, of course.

From the month that I started the discussion forum, the site doubled in size, every month for two, maybe three years, and it's still growing like mad!

Sometimes I miss the good old days, where we all told our most secret and dear secrets of our fishing haunts.

So, my question to you is this... How far back can you remember?

What ifish events have you been to?

What is the first contest that you can remember entering, or, (this would be fun) winning?

I remember running a contest to fish with Bill and I. I remember the first ifishstock, and all the people there.

I miss hookset! Remember Gregg? I miss Don Larson, who used to call me when things would upset me, just to make sure I was OK. Sometimes I would answer the phone in tears!!!

I remember my first digital camera, that I borrowed from my ISP, and the old fuzzy digital pictures of fish!

I remember not having a moderator. I remember my first bottle of Marie's Shrimp Scent!

I remember the first time I tried Jigs, thanks to Mark Anderson!

Dang, lots of memories here at ifish!

What is your memory?

But before you start, remember that posting anything about banned members is not appreciated, and is included in the Acceptable Use Policy...

So, remember the good things, and mention them! I want to go down fishing memory lane. :smile:

Maybe we can do a contest, and the member that remembers the oldest things, or is the oldest member, could win a prize?

I'd be glad to judge this one!

Jen

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Jen,

I remember when I first heard of Ifish, a customer told me about you, and how I actually wrote down the addy, IFISH.NET
and saying to myself, I will have to check this one out. Then I did. And then the next day YOU called me! Yes I remember you calling me to help me with my web page. In 2000, January.

How wonderful it has all turned out.

Thank you!!!!!!!

Captain & Marie
www.Tillamookbait.com

·
Registered
709 Posts
I remember stumbling across Ifish while surfing the web one day. I'm not sure when it was, but definitely a year or more before the need to register and log in to be able to post a message. Well, maybe there was a need for registration, because you see, I was feeling a little bit mischievous that day. I was curious about what sort of reaction I would get from this new found website. What sort of people lurked here? Well, as with most of you fishing is my passion, but there was that strange mood I was in and so my very first post on this wonderful website was the simple phrase....... "Fishing is dumb" end of post and off to work. I decided to check the board later and found a welcome surprise. There were the few flames, which considering the post were more than justifiable, but there was something different here. Many of the responses were along the lines of... "You just don't understand us, give it a try" or "give me a call and I'll take you fishing", "you don't even need to bring a thing, we'll take my boat" there were also explanations of why people loved fishing so much, just trying to make me understand about the beauty and solitude and how I was missing out. This site was clearly a different type of place, and I fell for it hook, line and sinker.
Thanks to Jennie,
Thanks to all,
:grin: RIPPLE :grin:

[ 04-14-2003, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: RIPPLE ]

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I remember when it was a handful of people. That is when I registered the moniker Serial Seal Killer. I quickly found out that it is not very P.C. since then I have been the Fisherman formely known as Serial Seal Killer. I just go by winterkill for short now.
Ian

·
Registered
908 Posts
Let me put my teeth back in first :tongue: Jen, I too remember being willing to share ideas and places. I no longer do that, in fact I rarely post at all. I still love this sight but the right/left political thing is getting real old...who cares lets go fish and when were done fishing, lets help raise some fish or improve some habitate or clip some fins or take a kid fishing or...........the list is huge step up to the plate and make it work.

Jim member #12 I think...some small number :grin:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I too remember when things first got going on the site. It was a daily thing to read what Jennie had to say. Then this forum started to share info, which used to be a lot more open with swapping places and ideas. I still, visit here everyday but I don't post too often.

·
Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
14,568 Posts
I remember waiting for the Trabosh brothers before we fished together while they checked Ifish to find the goto steelhead spot for the week.

I registered in the first week of Aug 2000 when I read about some guys who wanted to learn their brand new Magellen GPS on the Columbia bar. Another post on that same thread went on and on about following charters out over the bar in the fog.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I too found ifish looking for northwest fishing info on the net. My first experience was a Lewis flotilla on Snapshot's boat with Rags driving...the wettest rainiest coldest trip of a no-hitter I've ever had. Even inadvertantly poisoned one of them with the Devil's Brew, but no hard feelings, and we continue to fish, just in my boat with a top!
Doc

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I found IFISH from a link on The Guide Shops web site. I think think this site has come a loooooong way in a short time. Congrats on your success!

Fool

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
My father passed away on Valentines day 1997, In the spring of '98 I purchased his boat from my mother. I stumbled across IFish while looking for info. on Sturgeon and Salmon fishing in Oregon. Yes, I remember very well being thrilled with the discovery. I lurked for awhile before registering and don't often post but visit every day and contribute when I think there's something of substance to contribute about/to. Your website has become a daily part of my life and I am grateful for it. :cheers: zipper

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I found it in 2000 I'm #71.I think.I liked it because everyone was so friendly and helpful of course it was a lot smaller then.I kinda wish it still was.I guess when your a really good fishing site tho you have to grow,i just hope we don't get to big.
Bob :smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I first heard of this site in the article by Bill Monroe in the Oregionan. I lurked for awhile before registering. I do not post very much because most of my trips are not very fruitfull like every one else. I have always looked forward to you daily comments and enjoy looking at nature as you do.

It is not suprising to see this website grow as it has. It is run by a wonderful person, so please keep up the hard work and if ever needed you and Bill can have a seat in my boat anytime.

Thanks Again for a wonderful site

Alan A.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I found this site back in Spring of 2000. Lurked for a month or two before signing up. That was back in the days of being able to read all of the posts in all of the topics one morning. Come back the next day :shocked: and still be able to read everything that was posted since you last were here. Now I can't even go a couple of hours before I start missing something......

Great site, Jennie!!!!!1

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts