IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this boat fishing and I was wondering why you all have kicker moaters on your boats, is it incase your big moter dose not start? I figuer you need one if you have a jet pump but if you have a prop on say a 75 horse 4 stroke with a trolling plate would you still need one? just tring to learn here.Cheers Rich

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Lots of factors really. For folks who fish in the salt, a kicker is considered an extra safety measure, as it can be a long ride home if having to be towed in behind the coasties.

Also, a small kicker can be used as a trolling motor to conserve fuel costs.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
gottafish,

The kickers are for trolling. The big engine will usually push you too fast in a lot of conditions.

I like the insurance idea but if it wasn't for the trolling, I'd only have one engine and call SeaTow if I lost it.

Also, on the small engine for trolling, you buy cool stuff like the TR1 auto pilot control.

If you are buying a boat, look for one that has an integral trolling motor mount vs. the add on mounts.

Brion

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Why stop at one kicker? An electric has advantages too! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Lots of factors really. For folks who fish in the salt, a kicker is considered an extra safety measure, as it can be a long ride home if having to be towed in behind the coasties.

Also, a small kicker can be used as a trolling motor to conserve fuel costs.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Those are the two reasons we have one on our boat. If you get one or have one make sure you have it locked up, three years ago we had ours stold off the back of the boat on our trip to Neah Bay, in Port Angelas(sp) when we were waiting for the ferry to go over and get our Canadian fishing license :mad: the new high thrust Yamaha is not going any where now :wink:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi GottaFish,

I see by some of your earlier post that you are looking for a boat and are planning fishing at B10.

Since you are planning on fishing at the mouth of the Columbia and maybe in the ocean you should have more than one means of propulsion.

Any motor can malfunction at anytime without warning, even if it is brand new. If you are in the strong current in the lower Columbia you can be in serious trouble very quickly.

I have a 23 foot sportfishing boat with a 200 horse Yamaha Outboard and a 15 horse 4 stroke kicker. I spun the prop on the big motor, either wore out or hit some flotsom in a strong outgoing tide just down from Hammond. If I didn't have the kicker I could have tossed out the anchor and call the Coasties. That sure would have been an embarrasment. I was able to slowly make my way upstream with the kicker to return safely to port.

I wouldn't fish the lower Columbia without one.

[ 07-04-2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: gofishoregon ]

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I personally would rather save the hassle and embarassment of calling the coasties and just buy a kicker for safety. The coasties can get real mad I hear if you waste their time and I don't blame them if they do. Just a rumor I heard.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
If I didn't have one on tuesday when my boat motor took a crap on me I would have been screwed. You ever heard the saying up a creek without a paddle. You don't want to be that guy. Don't put yourself or your friends and family in danger by being cheap. Their lives are worth way more than $1500 for a kicker.(not saying you don't think they aren't)

[ 07-04-2003, 06:10 AM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I think the prime reason we have trolling motors is for trolling...secondary reason is for back-up in case the bigger one fails. They also come in handy holding your boat in position if the wind is blowing upriver.

I'm still in awe a question like that was asked...but oh well...

Mark

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
Another good reason to have a good kicker is the fact that large outboards don't like to idle all day, they tend to foul plugs etc. Better to lug the little guy. Besides safety first.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
The big OLD Merc, she does not like the SLOW.

"Alternate means of propulsion", hear, hear! When the time comes, you know it's a good thing.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I wouldn't be out on the Columbia (or any big water) without a kicker. Strong current or tidal influence, commercial traffic, lose power. Not a good situation. Sure it is there for trolling, but also for safety. I'd stick to lakes if I didn't have a kicker.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Another good reason to have a good kicker is the fact that large outboards don't like to idle all day, they tend to foul plugs etc.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">get a 200hp Yamaha :grin: it will idle all day long wont foul up, we use it at neah bay when we are rock fishing close to the big rock clifs. A freind has two merc 200 optimax salt water series and they wont idle at all, that is a must in IMO we also do alot of trolling w/ our 200hp yamaha the 8hp is mostly for safety :cheers:

·
Registered
135 Posts
i know it's hard to comprehend to some portland area people, but sometimes when i am fishing on a central or. lake during the winter sometimes you are the only nut case on the lake,which happened to me last year on billy chinook, main motor overheated, kicker to the rescue, 14 miles is a long way but it is better than. :cheers: sol.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Besides going slower, you have a lot more control when trolling with the kicker. You couldnt turn my center console hydraulic steering big motor fast enough to keep a straight line at low speed with current and wind factored in.

UG

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
UG,

Pete Fredrick says the big motor/hydraulic steering version of the TR1 can work the big engines for trolling as well as the small kicker.

I've been toying with the idea of going twin 115 prop, figuring the Nautamatic/1 engine combo would work as well as the kicker/TRI combo.

See if Pete spots this thread and can add some info.

Brion

·
Registered
13,282 Posts
"Do I need a trolling motor?" YES,

Yesterday when packing camp across the bay, I had my main motor die and freeze up on me in a blink. :whazzup:

I was dead adrift with a motor that failed me the first time in 8 years. I got back to dock with the trolling motor and tore the pump apart trying to figure out why it stopped turning. I found a bolt head that broke off just above the impellor. I have no idea what made it break off, but it broke off and fell down into the impellor wedging itself causing the motor to stop.

Looks like a simple fix as long as the busted bolt comes out. I was glad I had a second motor to get me home, calling the coast guard for a tow would have been a pain.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would say Brion, if you find you can troll down as slow as we need to fish with a 115, we can autopilot that motor at any speed, I can run both of the 115 motors, or just one on autopilot. So in a sence you will have a spare motor, But hears the catch, what if there was an electrical problem on your boat and neither 115 would even turn over, I believe in what the rest of the ifiher's are saying. Having a kicker is the way to go.

Pete

1 - 20 of 63 Posts