IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if you walk into a boat dealer (NEW) at this time of year...And offer "cash" lower than thier listed price will they bite?? I'm hoping to be in that situation by the end of August, Anybody have any experiences to tell of :shrug: Does cash talk.

MrDorkfish

Louis

[ 07-26-2003, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Mrdorkfish ]

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
I would think the end of august would likely be a slow time for them, and looking at slower. I think money talks. It won't hurt to walk in, throw a number out, and walk out if they don't respond. I know that the price is flexible.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Play the game. If they don't want your money, I would bet that there are other dealers who will. There is a lot of competition for your dollar out there. If it is a reasonable offer, I bet they will play. I don't know what kind of boat your are looking at, but I know that I would take 10% of 30K over 20% of nothing anyday.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Make your offer, if they turn you down.. tell them you can't go above that.. Then walk out slowly..

lots of times they will follow you out..

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Buying a boat is like buying a car. The dealers are hungry and they are not going to lose you over a few dollars. Do some research on what you want to purchase so that you will know the value of the offer you receive. You can then discuss price with them on their level because they know local prices of other dealers. Get a couple of offers from dealers on the type of boat you want to buy. Use the internet to find dealers and get a price from them. For the fun of it call a dealer and ask him if cash makes a difference. Bet he says yes. Thats where knowing prices for the same boat from other dealers will come in handy. Good Luck.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I would put getting the boat you want or need the first priority.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone who has responded so far :smile: The boat i am going to buy is a HewesCraft...I personally think they are worth what they list them at..but if i could get a larger boat for what they list the smaller one at would be great....I'm thinking whatever i save on the deal could go toward some nice electronics. I really want an 18ft but it's looking pretty tight even with the swing toungue trailer. Wife has LOTS of boxes in there that sat in her garage before we moved to the new house...Anyway :rolleyes: I'll do a little more research on the matter,

Thanks,

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
371 Posts
remember that the sales market today is a buyers market,with economy slow sales are down. never hurts to start low and have them start high you will meet in the middle. but always get what you want so your happy with the deal in the end. good luck

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Dork,,, Dont forget used. There are some good deals out there on boats that have not seen a lot of water. Might be able to get more boat for the $$$if you do some serious searching. If you can wait until winter the dealers might be able to swing a betters deal due to the lack of sales. Good luck,, and remember to get what you want...

jeff

·
Registered
609 Posts
Absolutely. Most boat dealers want to move stock, make a little commision for the sales rep (keep 'em happy during rough times) & make a little profit themselves. As long as the number will satisfy those basic requirements then they will deal. A little profit is better than none. Work several over at the same time. use an excell spreadsheet & other dealers are offering. It's not impolite, your just showing them you mean business about getting the best deal possible and are serious about spending the $$$. It helped me shave thousands off the boat I wanted & eventually bought.

Good luck!

Full Freezer

·
Administrator
119,608 Posts
Now that they all know you are coming... :smile:

YES!

Jen

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Not sure why people think offering cash will get you a better deal in this day and age. Cash is nice of course, but they get cash, they get cash from the finance company, and it is as green as any other cash. Then if you use their financing they make even more money, so it actually benefits Toyota, or Ford for example for you to use in house credit.

gus

·
Registered
182 Posts
Louis, If you know exactly what you want, and dont have to get any information from a salesperson, you might try going in and asking for the sales manager as you have a cash offer for him on a boat. That might relieve some of the commission . Plunk it down for him as a written proposal and tell him he can call you later in the day with his decision. just a thought, Russ

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Like i said...i think that the boat is worth..or i'd pay what they want..but like Auto dealers..those things are marked up pretty good..end of the year sales...they just might come down, or i could go from store to store and see what sales guy will go lowest :shrug: Great idea Russ :wink:

MrDorkfish

Louis

[ 07-27-2003, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Mrdorkfish ]

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Just like in the Auto busniess the best deals your going to get, is on the 1st of the mounth, they want to start the new mounth off with a bang, and the other day well be the last of the mounth as they want to close out the mounth and not have to pay flooring on whats there.
Good luck. Tight Lines River-Rat.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Hmmm. Let's see if this works.

Louis,

I got $5 that says you'll take me out on the new boat. Now, there's cash a talking ... :wink:

Jim

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jim...you know i won't take your money :smile: But i will get you out on the CR with me either in my Klamath or a new ride. I've been way busy working on my old house getting out when i can...i didn't even fish last Friday.. :sleep: too tired.

MrDorkfish

Louis

1 - 18 of 18 Posts