IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My drift boat is registered as 15'-4" in length and when I operate it with a kicker it is unclear to me if I need a fire exstinguisher or not. Per the OSMB regulations for "Motorboats Less Than 16 Feet in Length" the following is what is written about a fire extinguisher.

"One B-I type approved fire extinguisher when no fixed fire extinguishing system is installed in machinery space(s). (Fire extinguishers are not required on outboard motorboats less than 26 feet in length and of open construction.) No B-I type extinguisher is required if an approved fixed fire extinguishing system is installed in machinery space(s)."

I'm confused, do I need one or not ?
JK

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Yes. And even if the regulation said you didn't need one, if you're operating that drift boat with a gas fueled kicker, GOOD SENSE alone would dictate that you have a fire extinguisher on board. Heck, they're cheap. You can get one for around $10-12, they're small, and will fit easily in the dry storage under your front seats, along with the PFD's that you're also required to have!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
yes, absolutely no question. Even if it is not required have one, could save you or another someday. Hopefully you'd never have to use it.
It came in handy once for bonking a salomn so they can have multiple uses. Make sure you have a good whistle or other signal devise to, they can be handy too.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Put one in the boat. It's a no brainer and may even save your life one day. I hope I never have to use mine and the same for yours. At least I know it's there if I need it. SPACE.

·
Premium Member
14,397 Posts
the regulations pretty clearly state that you are not required to have one. if only for the safety of your passengers, have one on board.

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Great idea, especially if you got gas on board, or you are using a heater,,,,or both! My extinguisher is mounted on the bottom side of the side storage tray. Out of the way but very accessible. I wouldn't put it in dry storage, most storage boxes have somebody's patoot on it and won't be easy to get to if needed.

also handy for the occassional trailer bearing incidents, and of course lending aid to others on the road.

gus

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
If it's an open boat under 16 ft Not required by law

If you have gas aboard any boat. Required by COMMON BOATING SENSE!

Stupid not to have one when they're well under $20.

If cost is your problem, I'll give you one, just so I know you're covered and safe

CAPT KUJO

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Originally posted by Gus Orviston:
My extinguisher is mounted on the bottom side of the side storage tray. Out of the way but very accessible. I wouldn't put it in dry storage, most storage boxes have somebody's patoot on it and won't be easy to get to if needed.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Thanks Gus, that's a much better idea than what I said. Mine will be mounted there as well before the end of the weekend.

·
Registered
16,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments. There really never was any decision to not have one on board, just wasn't clear to me the way the regulation was written wether I actually needed one by law.

JK

·
Registered
480 Posts
If the coast guard inspects your boat they will expect the extinguisher to be mounted to the boat and easily accessable. In the storage box under the seat does not work for them.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
No matter what the regs say, if you have gas on board I would have one. For that matter if you use a propane heater I would have one alos, my buddy managed to catch his raingear on fire in the boat last month. Was able to pat it out, but if it had gotten worse we might have needed something more. I told him I woul dhave just pushed him in the river and he would have went out :wink:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Just go buy one. Get a ABC labeled one. Keep it in your drift boat and when not in use keep it in your car. CHEAP INSURANCE and safety first.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
A fire extinguisher is cheap insurance. It could save you or a fellow ifisher sometime on the river is need be. Best of Luck!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Last year I pulled into clackams park with my
driftboat to test a kicker moter. I forgot to take along a fire ex. As I pulled in I saw the
sherff setting in his car. My heart skipped because I did not know if I had all the stuff thay look for. He inspected the boat and I told him I forgot the fire ex. because I was just testing the moter. He told me I don't need one because the gas tank was sitting in the open and not stored in a closed space. Go figure, I said ok and put the sticker he gave me on the back of the boat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts